PDA

View Full Version : Poly for Hornet

wistlepig1
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
I am working on a "cat sneeze" load for my 22 Hornet. I have never used Poly before but with only 3 grs of powder in this load I was thinking it might be a good idea. Can someone tell me how much to use and how much do you pack into the case?
Thanks for any help, I know nothing about this.

35remington
08-25-2010, 12:05 AM
I would strongly suggest NOT to use poly filler in light charges with a few grains of fast powder, having done it myself in 22K Hornet. What occurs is that occasionally not all the buffer goes out of the case as the powder gasses tunnel to the side of the buffer, leaving the remainder looking like a dirty snowdrift.

Some of this can and will lodge in the throat. I was shooting a tip barrel single shot and caught it before it caused a problem....you may not be so lucky. Poly buffer should not be filling the majority of the case as with small volume charges and low pressures.

Low velocity, under 1200 fps loads with light charges in the Hornet are especially inadvisable with poly. Proper usage is with somewhat higher pressure, lower airspace loads.
I would first investigate velocity consistency of small unfillered charges; try something with low position sensitivity like Titegroup. As long as you don't go really light, most of the pistol/shotgun powders will show reasonable consistency without filler. Just make sure the powder isn't all bunched up by the bullet before firing.

felix
08-25-2010, 01:12 AM
35Remington is correct. Take heed. Keep the barrel clean between shots when shooting short duration pressured loads. Revert to extra clean powder and lube, and minimize the latter intentionally at first. ... felix

Dale53
08-25-2010, 08:50 AM
I have a TC Contender pistol in .22 Hornet. My cast bullet load is the Lyman 225415 gas check bullet. It makes a GREAT squirrel load with 3.0 grs of Unique. It is a reliable ½" at 50 yards performer.

I have a .221 Fireball barrel for that same pistol and load the same bullet with 4.0 grs of Unique. Accuracy is the same.

In neither caliber do I use or NEED a filler. They are both small capacity cases.

I am NOT a fan of filler. Many have used them successfully for years to end up with a ringed barrel. That's NOT something that I need...

Dale53

Rocky Raab
08-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Strong dittos to what Dale and the others said.

I shot a lot of cheap 55 FMJ bullets over 3.5 Bullseye while fire-forming to K-Hornet years ago. Never chrono'ed it and may not have ever shot at paper beyond 25 yards or so, but it shot very well at that range. (I suspect the bullets tumbled past that with their low velocity and a 1-16" twist.)

Larry Gibson
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
My "cat's sneeze" load for the 22 Hornet is a very soft cast (recovered .22LR or pellet lead) 225438 with a very light coat of LLA and no GC is used. Cases are fire formed and only NS'd to the seating depth of the bullet. A Lyman M die is used to expand/flair the case mouth. Primers are CCI500s. I use 1.5 gr Bullseye which gives 1050 fps out of my #3 Ruger. Accuracy is on par with the garden variety bulk .22LR at 50 yards which was about all I was expecting. Accuracy improves a little with a Lyman non crimping GC thumb seated on the GC shank. I might get around to testing it with my own aluminum GCs but haven't done so yet. I found I could get much better accuracy without all the casting/loading with just using a ..22LR rifle. No wad or filler is necessary in the smal .22Hornet case.

Larry Gibson

wistlepig1
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info Guys, I came to the same conclusion, NO filler. I loaded up my Cat sneezes with 3 grs of 7625 and toped with a Lyman 438, speed green, cci prim, and a prayer I went Praire Doggin today. For shooting around the corral it worked well and the farest shot was right at 50yds. That one was hit right in the chest, dead on top of its mount and NO exit wound. After 2 hours and four dogs I moved to open country and changed guns and floped 43 more in the next hour. Got Hot, went home but I am the most loved human by the 3 Swensons Hanks that live on ranch------its nice to be loved and have good shooting.:smile: