PDA

View Full Version : Giving a kid a gun

twotrees
08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
First:: The Kid. His Dad has all he can do to keep food on the table and get into a hunting lease with his boys. Boy is a good hunter and a good shot. But last season he told me he would like to get his own rifle, instead of using Dad's.

Fast forward: An Iwo Jima Marine left me a junker P17, bubba'ed semi sporter that was missing parts. (I got the parts from EGun parts cost so far $60.)

The second is a gun I bought at an auction, 98 Mauser, with a commercial barrel screwed on it, also sporterised (bolt turned and drilled and tapped for scope) and missing parts (also got those from same source, total so far $50 in parts).

The P17 is in 30-06 the Mauser is in 7X57.

My thoughts: Even though the P17 is going to be rougher looking than the Mauser, it is in a good Non-reloaders caliber. (The family live over 4 hours from me, so any hope of getting him into casting and reloading is a very long shot. No his dad doesn't reload)

The 98 will finish up much nicer and lighter with a much better scope mount, but needs a Bold trigger with safety, to finish (another $50).

I'm sure that if I explain the P17's history to D* he will understand, and care for it.

If you were doing this for a good kid, which one would you finish up for him??

Remember I only have 1 1/2 months to get this done, before deer season starts here in Ga.

Thanks for you thoughts,

Bloodman14
08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Just me, but I would ask the kid what he wants. Show him some pics of finished rifles and get an opinion from the 'giftee'.

Doc Highwall
08-23-2010, 09:08 PM
I think the 30/06 would be the one to go with as you said store bought ammo only. The 7x57mm will make you a nice light recoiling gun for when you get older. I have a 7mm Br and 260 Rem in my future.

Bloodman14
08-23-2010, 09:08 PM
By the way, congrats on the opportunity to pass a rifle down to the next generation!

280Ackley
08-23-2010, 09:43 PM
You didn't mention how big the kid is or how likely he is to be recoil sensitive. I have several kids that I am bringing along as shooters (none belong to me as I was not fortunate enough to have any of my own) But I love being around kids and hunting with them is more fun than hunting for myself. Over the years I have given several rifles and shotguns to these kids. I have made the mistake of giving one to a rural kid that is hard to find shells for (257 Roberts) and guns that are to much for them at their level of development (30-06) Why not let the kid choose after shooting them or a simular rifle? Good luck. Hope it turns out to be a positive experience for both you and the kid. Bringing up the next generation of hunters and shooters may be one of the more important things we do in this life.

82nd airborne
08-23-2010, 09:49 PM
I bet the members here could keep him in some ammo, if he goes with the 98.

twotrees
08-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I did forget to mention his size.

He plays line backer on a South Ga High School Football team. He stands about 5'10" and weighs about 170. Recoil doesn't bother him. (He has shot my Hog Loads from my Marlin 1895, 405 gr with 48 gr of IMR 3031).

The -06 will not be a problem for him, neither would the 7X57.

Thanks for all who have posted so far.

MtGun44
08-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Shoot both with factory and see if one is a substantially better shooter than the other.

Bill

btroj
08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I like the idea of giving him a choice. Makes him feel a bit more involved. Having once been a kid, still am compared to some of you, I think you might be surprised by what makes him choose one ove the other.

Rad

Gee_Wizz01
08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
If the kid was big enough, I would give him the 30-06. I love the 7mm, but around NE Florida, it is hard to find 7X57 ammo of any kind. Wal Mart always has 30-06, even during the recent ammo shortage. The 06 ammo is also a lot more affordable than 7X57. The only down side of the 30-06 is the recoil. Some of those big GA hogs can use all of the thump you can give em, which is a plus for the 30-06.

G

lylejb
08-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Have him try both, but be sneeky about it. Don't let him know (yet) that he's getting one.

You might make a memory for the rest of his life, and that's alot more valuable than the sum of rifle parts.

One may fit / feel better to him, and that's something no one else can tell

Maybe he will like one better "just because"

Either one is enough for deer

This is a great thing your doing:drinks:

Blammer
08-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Give him the 30-06 and a few boxes of your cheap reloads for him, yes use jacketed hunting bullets. He'll be tickled to death!

docone31
08-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Wow, what a decent thing to do!
I wish someone cared enough for me back then. I am glad you do. It will make a difference.
Mostly the care.
Any rate. I would do the Mouser.
A snap to rebarrel, gobs of after market parts. He can do almost anything he wants to!
I always had a vision of doing a rebarrel, with full wood. Upper and lower wood, heavy barrel. Not really usefull as compared to an heavy barrel with Anschutz stock, but carryable.
I would go the Mouser indeed.
He should learn to reload. That way he can join us!
You give him the rifle, we teach him to keep it fed!
Good for you, and even better, he has your respect enough to so something like this.
Good luck with it.
He sound like a decent person.

timkelley
08-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Wonderful thing to do. 30-06, because there is such a range of factory ammo.

whitetailsniper
08-23-2010, 11:32 PM
my 2 cents,, i agree the 30-06 is the ticket,my son is 14 yrs,when he passed hunters safty like my other 2 sons,i told him to pick what he wanted guess what he choosed? yep,,30-06 bolt action rifle. its his pride and joy.

EOD3
08-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Personally, I think the world needs a LOT more folks like you.

IMHO, you need to tread lightly here. Make sure dad is OK with YOU giving his boy a rifle. Some men would be mortally offended if someone gave his son something HE can't afford to give the boy. Shame a man and you've made an enemy for life.

.02/YMMV

Linstrum
08-23-2010, 11:57 PM
I'd go with the P17 .30-06 because .30-06 will do a lot with commercial off the shelf ammo from 125 grain to 220 grain bullets.

It's also based on a genuine piece of United States history.

rl825

HeavyMetal
08-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Good points made all around.

+1 on making sure Dad is up for this. He got into a hunting lease so I figure this is not a problem but be sure by all means.

About the Rifle! I figure you only want to finish one rather than both, for cost reasons.

For the same reason I will vote for the 30-06.

I firmly believe that if I landed on Mars tomorrow I could buy 30-06 ammo!

Supply and availability are your answer.

Also I think it's great that your stepping up for this kid. If he and Dad both get lucky they could eat well for the fall winter and spring. Will the hunting lease cover bird to?

I any case this will certainly make the dollars stretch in tough times!

KYCaster
08-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Is the boy old enough to legally own the gun? You'll probably have to give the rifle to his dad and ask him to give it to the boy when he turns 18...I know it's splitting hairs, but no need to take any chances.

Assuming the cost of the two guns isn't a big factor, I think I would give the dad both guns, let the boy choose the one he likes best and have them pass the other gun on to another youngster in a similar situation.

Just a thought.
Jerry

Linstrum
08-24-2010, 04:24 AM
I forgot about one thing, I'd go for the more accurate rifle. If they are real close then I'd still go with the .30-06.

I have three sub-minute of angle rifles and they are an absolute pleasure to shoot, better than a beer on a hot day or a turkey and cheese sandwich with all the fixin's the day after Thanksgiving!

rl827

curator
08-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Talk to the boy and see what he would want. In either case I'd consider adding a set of Lee dies, an inexpensive press and a powder scale. If money's tight they (he) can still do some shooting. Reloading tools (moulds?) can be future Christmas, birthday presents.

Geraldo
08-24-2010, 07:36 AM
twotrees, keep in mind that it's impossible to screw up what you're doing for the kid. He'll love either one, but I'd lean toward the .30-06. Imagine him taking this rifle out west thirty years from now and thinking of the man who gave it to him.

You're a good man doing a good thing. :drinks:

EMC45
08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
twotrees, keep in mind that it's impossible to screw up what you're doing for the kid. He'll love either one, but I'd lean toward the .30-06. Imagine him taking this rifle out west thirty years from now and thinking of the man who gave it to him.

You're a good man doing a good thing. :drinks:

Indeed!

Changeling
08-24-2010, 02:24 PM
If it was me, I would go with the Mauser cheap parts (Relatively speaking) 7X57 is a great caliber that will take any animal on the north American continent, cheaper to reload, less recoil lots of commercial and military bullets/cases available. Mauser 98's are wonderful weapons, very strong with great case failure built into the action.

I like them so much I built my long range 7 mm Ackley Improved on a 1909 Argentine action. In fact if money was no object I would still do it the same, that's how much I like them!

Jim_Fleming
08-24-2010, 10:15 PM
two trees, for what it's worth...?

Give the kid the rifle he'll be able to shoot, and shoot as much as he can afford ammo for... the .30-06 simply because there is hardly a place in the USA where you can't buy ammo.

Sure the guys all have a point, about giving him a choice, but thinking back to when I was a kid, I don't thing that I'd care as much about ammo not being plentiful as I would be impressed with the "bling" of the rifle....

That's my $.02 cents worth...

Wayne Smith
08-25-2010, 08:53 AM
With his Dad's approval I would give him a Lee Loader for the rifle he gets. Powder scale and a Lee Loader and he can load anything in that caliber. Teach both of them how to use it. If they want to get further into reloading then you can introduce the idea of a press and dies.

As far as which rifle, I agree with those that say let him choose. Have him firing both rifles, let his Dad fire both rifles, let them talk about it and let him choose. Let them know in advance that reloading training goes with the rifle. Also let them know that you are doing this selfishly - the more shooters/reloaders we have the better.

jlchucker
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Give him what dads and hunting uncles have been giving sons and nephews for generations--30-30 Winchester, Model 94! Out of tradition. The only thing is, you'll have to search around and pay an inflated price for a good used one. Just my opinion. Nothing against any of the other guns mentioned in this thread. Nothing wrong with a Marlin 45-70, either. If it were me though, I'd stay away from the short ones with ported barrels. Those generate too much noise for tender ears.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-25-2010, 09:19 AM
I am also for the 30-06. As you said choices of factory available ammo is far better for the 06, also should he ever start to reload/cast the 30-06 is a great place to start.

Elmar66
08-25-2010, 10:23 AM
[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

The world definitely needs a lot more people like you. I would agree with the majority. Give the kid something that ammo is readily available for, simply because of distance. For a 4 hour drive, you can buy a LOT of ammo.

My sons first gun (he was only 8 when purchased) is a neat little gun from Rossi. It's composite stocked so he can bash it all he wants to, but more importantly it's light because he's pretty small and can't hold up most shotguns even in .410 if they have a wood stock. Single shot, to make him good and it came with a .410 shotgun and .22 LR barrel that are interchangeable.

I know that make the same gun with also a .243 option, it may be priced a little higher. The rifle/shotgun combo that I bought was about $110. Not bad I thought for his first gun and it was brand new with a one year warranty I believe.

Praise God for what you are doing to help someone in need!

Elmar

twotrees
08-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Thank all of you for your kind words, But it's about a kid and a wish.

I don't have a picture of D* but I do have one of his younger brother, B*. He shot this hog the week after deer season closed. His Dad sent it to us on his cell phone.

245 lbs (scale) 308 (Dad's) 50 yards out of camp.

B*'s Hog.

http://i36.tinypic.com/291ch0k.jpg

Like I said these boys are hunters.

Charlie Sometimes
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Give him the 30-06.
It's a caliber that is as ingrained in American history and hunting culture as you are a good American to care about a young man and his future.
There should be more folks like you, and more of us should attempt to emulate your actions here.

pmeisel
08-26-2010, 09:35 PM
You can't make a bad decision here... you made such a good one to start with.

EOD3
08-27-2010, 04:00 AM
I vote 30-06 too. Can't go wrong with a long-action .30 cal.

ricksplace
09-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Good on ya! I vote for the 30-06. I'm building a rifle for my stepson now. He's 30 and comes from a non-shooting anti-gun family. I took him and his wife shooting and they are totally hooked! It's going to be in 308 for all the reasons mentioned already.

part_timer
09-05-2010, 10:23 PM
If you go with the 06 let me know and I can supply brass and dies to go with the rifle.

azcruiser
09-06-2010, 03:41 AM
My dad use to come over to the house and see all the gun I had bought over the years of collection think I had about 75 rifles not counting pistols and revolvers ask what s that one and what that one shake his head . Used to say you only need one that s a 1903-a3 in 3006 if that don't work you shouldn't be shooting at it .That was from a Marine who was in Battle of Guadalcanal with a bolt action 1903a3 and dad was always right. I miss him

meadmkr
09-06-2010, 05:01 AM
First:: The Kid. His Dad has all he can do to keep food on the table and get into a hunting lease with his boys. Boy is a good hunter and a good shot. But last season he told me he would like to get his own rifle, instead of using Dad's.

+2 on making sure Dad has no issue with somebody giving HIS KID a rifle. Doesn't sound like he might but one never knows. Let us know how things go on this project and it 'ya need any help/parts. I got my first rifle, an Ithaca model 49 in 22lr when I was 8 and it kept a lot of rabbits/squirrels in the freezer during some lean times.

Semper Fi!
Chris in VA

FWIW I gave my daughter a Glock 19 for her bday/graduation present. Mom wasn't thrilled but daughter couldn't take possession until she passed a safety class (which makes her eligible for her CHP as well) and she aced the class. It also turns out her fiance has the same thing for his off-duty carry :)

Jim_Fleming
09-06-2010, 04:04 PM
you DON'T need my approval for this Chris aka Mead Maker but you dang sure have it! I like this one! [smilie=w:

FWIW I gave my daughter a Glock 19 for her bday/graduation present. Mom wasn't thrilled but daughter couldn't take possession until she passed a safety class (which makes her eligible for her CHP as well) and she aced the class. It also turns out her fiance has the same thing for his off-duty carry :)

meadmkr
09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
twotrees

Not to hijack the thread or your project but as I mentioned let us know if there is anything you need for the project. I've got an extra rifle case or two hanging around and know that a lot of use have gear we're not using (extra slings, scopecovers, etc).

Cheers
Chris

starmac
11-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm curious how this has turned out. I personally don't think you could have gone wrong with either one, but would voted for the 06 for many of the above reasons.

When I was 15 my uncle gave me an old model 99 300 savage it had been bubbad as in drilled for scope and coins inletted in the stock. It had very little blueing left on the barrel.
This is still my primary rifle and the only big game rifle I had for years.
I bought a lee loader back then (long gone) and made my own ammo mainly because their was none available in the small town I lived in.

Several years my uncles had kids and I kinda figgured it was my place to give them a rifle when they got old enough to use them. I guess things were differant with them as all of them had sold theirs before the following deer season and used borrowed rifles.

shooterg
11-29-2010, 09:18 PM
So, how'd deer season go with which rifle ? Inquiring minds want to know !

twotrees
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I had some down time 2 weekends ago, short hospital stay, back today for more test. Finished the rifle on Wednesday night about 11:30 PM. Loaded 40 rounds of "J" word bullets to get him started.

Drake turn's 16 tomorrow (Dec. 1) so last weekend we all went to camp.

RedFoxy and I deep fried a turkey and I had a commercial ham and a wild pig ham smoked, for the troops. About 17 folks had Thanksgiving dinner with us, on Saturday. With all the trimming and desert (Fried Turkey was what Drake had asked for.)

Before I got to work on the fryer, we caught up with Drake and Family and made the presentation. Jammie (Dad) Drake Piper (Step mom)

http://i56.tinypic.com/hsw39u.jpg

He couldn't wait to get to the woods and find something to let the air out of, but no luck. He hunted hard Saturday evening and Sunday Morning, but nothing showed up.

We got home and un-packed the stuff and we got a phone call. Drake had gone behind the house and had 2 does come in on him. He was about to shoot when a 185 lb hog scared them off. Well being a kid with a new gun he did what he should have and let that hog hold one. He said it went 20 yards and left a blood trail anyone could follow.

http://i54.tinypic.com/10fz1ph.jpg

Sorry cell phone picture.

You could hear the Smile on his vioce as he told us about it.

A P17 Enfield that an Iwo Jima Marine had started to sporterize. Some hand loads and a very grateful boy, makes this a happy ending.

An old USMC rifle from an Iwo Jima marine to a 16 year old boy.

It Don't get any better than this.

Ajax
11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Thats awesome. I bet he was one happy young man.

Andy

Linstrum
11-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Wooo Hooo! Oh, man, and they say there ain't no Santa Claus! Santa just brought a hog for the boy on Thanksgiving instead is all! Yeah, a .30-06 P17 does a good job for a lot of stuff!

rl881

Blammer
11-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Outstanding!

Does he need any practice ammo for that 30-06?

45nut
12-02-2010, 09:02 PM
very cool!

*Paladin*
12-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Wow! Thanks for passing on the torch! Very admirable. I personally would have given the boy the P17 as well. .30-06 is available everywhere, and if the kid ends up being a reloader later on in life he has tons of component options.

JohnH
12-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I believe the P17 is the way to go, and encourage he and Dad to get a Lee Loader. Loading with that set up won't cost much, will make good blammo and encourage an interest in a reloading hobby that may well last his life time.

Beerd
12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
twotrees,

VERY good! :drinks:

Looks like a nice family. Give a birthday greeting to Drake from a guy who turned 16 on the 1st of December a loooong time ago.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Well Done Sir! Yes indeed, Well Done.

The Kindest of Regards,
Everett

DCP
12-04-2010, 07:24 PM
What a nice thing to do

So Christmas is soon is the young man worth the k98 also

I would be willing to donate $ for the cause . I sure others would also.

Yes you didnt ask, but I am in anyway

vaya con Dios

starmac
12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Well I love it that he has already put it to good use. I would almost bet you that this kid gets into hand loading too. I also hope he is able to hang onto it, as if he ever has to sell it he will probably regret it forever.

home in oz
12-08-2010, 01:22 AM
I would go with the 06, coordinating with the dad every step of the way.