PDA

View Full Version : lee molds

skimmerhead
08-22-2010, 11:58 PM
was wondering after looking at a lee mold with lube grooves that they seem shallow compared to other molds. if you run em thru a lyman sizer is there enough lube in the grooves ? tumble lube molds are for alox, but wonder about lube groove, and how it would work with lube. does anyone have any input on this ?

skimmerhead

shotman
08-23-2010, 12:09 AM
They are shollow but more for tumble lube . That is only way to go anyway I sold my lube set up and never looked back

geargnasher
08-23-2010, 12:09 AM
I agree, I don't like the shallow grooves either, but I've never actually had an issue with any of their conventional designs "running out of lube", even in longer rifle barrels. The one that really gets me is the 340 grain .457" boolit, when sized .452" there are virtually no grooves left at all, so I have to size and lube in a .458" die, then in a .454" die, then push through a .452" to retain the grooves (law of hydraulics keeps the grooves open).

I'd say if you get leading it more than likely isn't lube capacity causing the problem.

Gear

skimmerhead
08-23-2010, 12:54 AM
i have the lee .41mag swc 195gr i think, they dropped .413 once i ran through lee sizer there ain't much left. i got a rcbs .41 pb swc 210gr and i have a .41 g b mold i'm waiting on from noe gas check. i'm looking for a .358 125gr rf like the lee boolit profile but not the lube grooves.

skimmerhead :lovebooli

a.squibload
08-23-2010, 05:25 AM
I never used a tumble-lube mold before, think enough sizer type lube would stick in those little grooves to be worth it?

Also Skimmer: I saw that TV show tonight about Swamp People in Louisiana, they caught and shot a 12'11" gator (that's a lot of boots!).
One guy uses a 22, other guy had a levergun,
one guy missed first shot, snapped the hammer on his then UNLOADED revolver, had to run back to the boat.
Just wondered if you got the chance would you go after gators down there?

Shiloh
08-23-2010, 06:22 AM
.22 RF is enough oomph for gators??

SHiloh

Recluse
08-23-2010, 03:21 PM
was wondering after looking at a lee mold with lube grooves that they seem shallow compared to other molds. if you run em thru a lyman sizer is there enough lube in the grooves ? tumble lube molds are for alox, but wonder about lube groove, and how it would work with lube. does anyone have any input on this ?

skimmerhead

I don't like running a TL boolit through a lubesizer. I've tried it before and it was just a mess. There's only a handful of tumble-lube boolits I like in the first place, and I tumble-lube them, load 'em and shoot 'em with no problems.

Some of Lee's other molds do seem to have shallower (traditional) lube grooves, but that suits me just fine, too. Only need enough lube to get the boolit out of the barrel. Anything more is just a waste and a detriment.

For what it's worth, I've also done a fair amount of tumble-lubing on boolits that have traditional lube grooves and it has worked equally as well as using a lubesizer.

:coffee:

a.squibload
08-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Well, the gator is already hooked on a stout cord, as they drag him in close there's a little spot
at the back of the head, lights out.
They try to shoot him quick as sometimes a hook will straighten out and he could get away,
but there's so much thrashing around it ain't an easy shot.
I read somewhere about shooting crocodiles, same problem, tiny brain relative to overall size.
And tough skin.

Recluse: thanks, TL grooves are so small I figured every time you touch the boolit it would get all over.

Doby45
08-23-2010, 03:32 PM
I never used a tumble-lube mold before, think enough sizer type lube would stick in those little grooves to be worth it?

Also Skimmer: I saw that TV show tonight about Swamp People in Louisiana, they caught and shot a 12'11" gator (that's a lot of boots!).
One guy uses a 22, other guy had a levergun,
one guy missed first shot, snapped the hammer on his then UNLOADED revolver, had to run back to the boat.
Just wondered if you got the chance would you go after gators down there?

I saw that same show lastnight squib. I would be down there with the ole 1911 45. That would bust that tiny spot just fine. It was funny they kept saying "misfire" everytime that retard pulled the trigger on an empty cylinder. I thought to myself "that ain't a misfire, it is a dryfire due to no boolit".

skimmerhead
08-23-2010, 06:22 PM
you can't shoot em without boolits in da gun, it is very hard to hit the right spot on the back of the head because its a small spot, .22lr is in my opion the best boolit for the job. any thing bigger use stand to damage the skin. damaged skins are worth a lot less money. if you don't hit em in the rite spot alot of times .22's won't penetrate the skull on those big gators. the biggest iv'e killed is 11' 3" close to 600#. i was about 100 yards from the house working on my boat tied to my wharf when he surfaced 25 yards from me, i eased in the cabin got my marlin model 60 and shot him through the eyes, once blinded he headed to shore where i finished him off. had to call for help to get him loaded and home to skin em. i have some photos to post but have to wait for sis in law to come over i don't know how to do it yet. but we enjoyed the program, my wife and did alot of laughing. but that does not reflect all of cajun life and culture. or as tony would say mother fricker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skimmerhead:veryconfu[smilie=s:

skimmerhead
08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Doby i dated a girl once and she sure looked alot like that picture you got !! and thats all i have to say bout dat.

skimmerhead:mrgreen:

skimmerhead
08-23-2010, 06:34 PM
a.squibload---- in a heart beat thats the most fun i ever had with all my clothes on!

skimmerhead:redneck: have been on a few hunts it gets wild sometimes, wait see if they show one get in the boat before you shoot em, now dat's fun!!!!!!!

Doby45
08-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Doby i dated a girl once and she sure looked alot like that picture you got !! and thats all i have to say bout dat.

skimmerhead:mrgreen:

We musta dated the same chick! :)

home in oz
08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Does it make a differance?

skimmerhead
08-23-2010, 08:41 PM
it depends on the amount of alcohol you consume!!!!!!!!!!!!

skimmerhead :bigsmyl2:

454PB
08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I have no desire to be that close to a gator, but I watched the show. What scared me was the sloppy gun handling on a boat being moved around by the hooked gator.

I've handled 700 lbs. of dead Elk, I can't imagine getting a 700 lb. gator into a boat without capsizing it.

Ole
08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
TL bullets usually pick up a decent amount of lube if you pan lube.

I pan lube (after sizing and GC) my RD bullets for my 450 Marlin and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to do so. :)

mdi
08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
I have two Lee T/L molds that I pan lube; works well. I also have a Ranchdog mold that is T/L designed, but I Carnuba Red them for heavy .44 Mag. loads. I don't need to size my boolits any more than .001 anyway, so I don't bother. 003" to .004" over bore dia. doesn't make any difference in my loads...

JIMinPHX
08-23-2010, 11:07 PM
I find that the tumble lube boolits from Lee will work well in a lubrisizer as long as you aren't trying to size them down too far. If your sizing die is anywhere from +.001" to -.002" compared to your raw boolit size you should be OK. If you go bigger with the size die, things can get messy. If you go smaller, than most of the lube grooves will get wiped off the boolit & that usually causes big problems with fouling. The tumble lube designs tend to be pretty accurate in most cases. I think that the added bearing surface might have something to do with that, but that's just a guess on my part.

a.squibload
08-24-2010, 12:05 AM
TL boolits: I was just curious, only have 2 Lee TL molds for cores, but some of their boolit designs might be worth trying.
OK, mainly 'cause they're inexpensive. Might want a full wadcutter some day.

Gators: They showed one still wigglin' a little so the guy shot him IN THE BOAT.
I was thinking the gator better stop the slug or they would be bailin' all the way home!

Al_sway
08-24-2010, 12:47 AM

skimmerhead

In my experience, using a Lee .30 150 grain FN with gc in a .30-30, there is enough lube in the grooves to work. Same for the .45 405 grain bullet. I think they are too shallow as well, but in the end there is no significant leading from the bullets.

skimmerhead
08-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Jiminphx, i'm not having any problems with the TL mold in.41mag 210gr that one drops .411-.412 no need to size and hold enough alox to do the job. my problem is with the regular lube groove mold. it drops at .413 and after i size it there ain't much lube groove left the thing i can do with it is alox. might be just the mold, i may try a couple thick coats of F.A.mold release might get to drop a couple points. i got a rcbs41-210-swc that was nos for 25.00 bucks and it cast like like a dream from the start. used bullplate sprue lube for the first time and i was impressed with it.

454PB---dem gators are bad! they can run on land up to 35mph short distance's, there tails are so powerful they can lunge up to 4' high to get to the bait, they have been known to lunge themself in the boat. if you don't shoot em fast you better be ready for anything. you get one of dem big one's in the boat you'll give him the boat!
i did when i was younger and didn't have any sense, now i'm just older without any sense.

skimmerhead:castmine::Fire:

JIMinPHX
08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Gators: They showed one still wigglin' a little so the guy shot him IN THE BOAT.
I was thinking the gator better stop the slug or they would be bailin' all the way home!

I'd rather be bailing than putting a tourniquet on the stub that used to be my arm. I'd shoot the gator in the boat too.

a.squibload
08-26-2010, 02:39 AM
I didn't think of that, fire away!