PDA

View Full Version : a great loss for the animals

44woody
09-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Steve Irwn was killed by a strike to the heart by a large stingray barb this is a great loss for all of us I will miss watching him on tv he has taught so many of us alot about animals with a sad heart I write this 44Woody

dragonrider
09-04-2006, 02:11 PM
I would have bet the mortgage he would have ended up as crocodile dung, I guess there are a lot of ways to die when your in his line of work. Yes a truly sad day for his wife and young son.

Bret4207
09-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I enjoyed his programs, although I didn't agree with his views on hunting and guns. A talented man. At least his kid can watch his Dad on film. Ironic he should die like he did.

jballs918
09-04-2006, 07:19 PM
im pretty sure that would be the way he would have wanted to go. working with his animals. he was a man who truely enjoyed his work and had fun at it.

Gunload Master
09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
That is too bad, I enjoyed watching his programs and seeing him do what he did..

StarMetal
09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Well the thing is it was a freak accident, they say the stingrays barb either pierced his heart or severed one of the aorta's. I'm sure Steve would have wanted to go in a more fashinable way then a accident. They say a stingrays sting can't kill you and the antidote for it is just plain hot water.

Fareway Steve, you were a interesting, entertaining, funny guy with a cool Aussie accent.

Joe

twotrees
09-05-2006, 10:02 PM
I don't Know why Y'All ain't posted that Mr Irwin was the Auzzie equal of Cleveland Emory. He Hated hunting of any sort and did his best to get all of it stopped in Oz. He singlehandedly got the Oz government to stop a proposed Crock hunt. This was after several "Tourists" got eaten by them big "Salties".

Here was a guy that took his 2 year old kid into a Crock pen for show, while he fed a big nasty crock. He also picked up all those "no-shoulders" in a way that he could get bit. (He did 2 times, that I know of). Then some Mom has to explain to her kids why they can't do what my Croc-of-Schmidt just did on T and V.

I'm sorry for his wife and Family that he got himself dead, but all the hunting and shooting brothers in Oz are breathing a bit easier, now that he has passed on.

I caught Copperheads for WVU when Anti-venon was just starting and used a 4 ft capture stick to do it. If we chanced on a Rattler, he was very quickly dead, to my 1915 Stevens Favorite. Now they paid more for live Rattlers than they did for live Copperheads, but the risks were NOT worth the money. Now this was from a bunch (4 of us)wild eyed redneck Ridge runners at the ripe old age of 16.

Anybody that puts himself in harms way as often as he did, and goes out of his way to mess with stuff that can kill ya, is going to end up worm food , sooner or later.

Sorry, I just have had enough of Hunters and shooters making over this guy like he was a saint. As a Line in an Old Song says" He warn't no friend of mine".

TwoTrees

All Opinions are my own and I'll take full responsibility for them.

nelson133
09-06-2006, 08:14 AM
As many others have said, who could not see something like this coming. He was on a suicide path for years and something finally caught up with him. I'm not real fond of show-offs or daredevils, too bad for his family, but other than that, I don't care.

Boz330
09-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I've only seen a few of the Crocodile Hunters programs and enjoyed them. I had no idea that he was that anti-hunting. Responsible and ethical hunting is a part of conservation as well.
A fact of life is that if you push the edge of the envelope long enough and hard enough you will eventually break through, that is why there are no old bold pilots. They get smart or they get dead. Just my.02 worth.

Bob

KCSO
09-06-2006, 09:45 AM
There isn't anyone in show business that isn't a show off, it's part of the job. I spent several years cutting baloons out of my partners hands and vise versa doing a Mountain Man show so I can accept that part of his persona. I didn't particularly care for his stand on hunting so I am somewhat ambivilant. If you do the job you take the chances and when your time is come you go. I think he was Treadwelled.

9.3X62AL
09-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, one's manner of death is sometimes chosen by one's manner of living. I do feel sorry for his surviving family members. During their visit with us, Ron and Jen mentioned that Steve Irwin's father was a noteworthy herptologist in Australia, so I can only wonder what his dad thought of those reptile rodeos of his.