PDA

View Full Version : Need turkey fryer help/info

Patrick L
08-22-2010, 09:06 AM
My mother in law recently gave me her unused turkey fryer set. It is an Eastman 38065. It's not listed on the internet site, so I assume its discontinued. I know nothing about turkey fryers.

According to Amazon, the burner is 170,000 BTUs. Does this sound right? Does that make it a good one for smelting? I'm not concerned about the pot stand or anything like that, I can fabricate something sturdier if need be, and I have cast iron pots. etc.

I've been spoiled by casting on my dad's old plumbers furnace (someone here once referred to that as smelting over the a$$ of the space shuttle) but it is getting harder and harder to find folks who will refill that tank since it is pre OP valve. I want to have a backup in place for that day.

D Crockett
08-22-2010, 09:34 AM
My mother in law recently gave me her unused turkey fryer set. It is an Eastman 38065. It's not listed on the internet site, so I assume its discontinued. I know nothing about turkey fryers.

According to Amazon, the burner is 170,000 BTUs. Does this sound right? Does that make it a good one for smelting? I'm not concerned about the pot stand or anything like that, I can fabricate something sturdier if need be, and I have cast iron pots. etc.

I've been spoiled by casting on my dad's old plumbers furnace (someone here once referred to that as smelting over the a$$ of the space shuttle) but it is getting harder and harder to find folks who will refill that tank since it is pre OP valve. I want to have a backup in place for that day.
Patrick L that is plenty of btu to melt lead with. your plumbers furnace I do think you can take and have it fitted with a new hose so it can work on the new valves should be able to get that done at your local LP gas Co. D Crockett

jmsj
08-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Patrick L,
If that burner makes 170,000 BTU's it will be more than plenty for smelting. I am using burners w/ lower ratings than that and am getting good results.
Would it be possible to upgrade the propane hook up your plumbers furnace to take the newer style tank? jmsj

Patrick L
08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys!

I think I looked into getting my dad's furnace updated once and it was no go. The burner actually threads onto the tank and the whole thig sits upright. It's not just a hose connection.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Smelting/GunStuff063.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Smelting/GunStuff061.jpg

See what I mean? Fortunately I still know one oldtimer who says the law applies to home type gas items, like barbacue grills and turkey fryers, not commercial type equipment. I don't know if that's true or not, but if that's his opinion it works for me!

Patrick L
08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
OK, I emailed Eastman about the turkey fryer, and they say the burner is 65,000 BTU, quite a bit less that the 170,000 that Amazon claimed.

Is 65,000 enough to smelt?

LeadThrower
08-23-2010, 10:37 PM
plenty. I smelt with around 50k.

RP
08-23-2010, 10:49 PM
you may be able to get a fitting or change the one on your burner and then use a hose to feed it. Just hard for me to believe that something cant be done to many people out there with to many ways of making something work. As far as burners go goggle agri supply they will ship and have some very large burners at a good price either just burner or entire setup. I like the ones with alot of holes like 50 better then the reg turkey fryer types they send the heat stg up not out to the sides.