PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with this 429215 mold

Brother_Love
08-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Hey,
I am just full of questions today. I have been casting form this recently aquired mold today and the bullet hangs tight in the mold. It will release after several whacks on the hinge pin.

As you can see in the photo right above the pencil point is a place where one of the bands is deformed. It is on the right side of both boolits. This is the side the boolit hangs up on. I have cleaned the mold throughly 3-4 times and still it hangs up. I have smoked the mold, no better. Would lapping the mold help it or is it a lost cause.

I wanted to have this mold HP'ed to use in my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special.

Thanks for the help, Malcolm
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/429215.jpg

Bass Ackward
08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Wish you could show the block half in question.

Brother_Love
08-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Can do!!!![smilie=s:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/429215_2.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/429215_1.jpg

Bass Ackward
08-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Lead is hanging to the block at the point of bullet damage. And lead will hang to lead. The damage is coming from tapping before it solidifies and shrinks.

So lapping it in "that spot" will help, but only after you get them cleaned up and all the lead off the faces / vent lines. Double check your pin depth for good block alignment before you begin. Make sure that one handle screw isn't overly tight warping the block.

I would try something fine like baking soda and tooth paste or JB bore paste if your eye doesn't see something requiring more aggressive measures.

If spot treatment fails, then lap for the entire cavity would be my next option.

Edubya
08-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Lapping may be necessary but getting all of that lead out of the vent lines may be all that it needs. I see lead on the alignment pin and that might be causing the mould to remain open too.

EW

GLL
08-21-2010, 05:11 PM
That lead on the vent line next to the pin is right on the very band that is causing trouble !

Jerry

Brother_Love
08-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Ok, I got all cleaned up, vent lines all clear, and I burnished the cavity with baking soda and q-tips dipped in light oil. I then cleaned it with brake cleaner and it looks good to go. I will not get another chance to cast with it until Monday. I will post results here.

Thanks for the help, malcolm

dragonrider
08-21-2010, 05:49 PM
If all you did was use the spray of brake cleaner, you aren't done cleaning yet. Hot water and dish soap and a tooth brush, Scrub well and rinse well.

JMtoolman
08-21-2010, 07:15 PM
The scuffed area on the parting line is due to a burr raised from the cutting of the cavity. You need to lap the mold a bit to remove the burrs. Drill a hole in about three or four bullets on center, and with a brass wood screw with the head cut off, lap the molds while turning the bullets with a drill motor. Start out with the blocks open and the bullets charged with 300 or 400 grit valve grinding compound, the ones with grease mixed in the compound. Slowly close the blocks while the bullet is turning. when there is no resistance to the cutting, exchange the bullet for a new one. It only takes about 30 seconds to quit cutting. Clean the blocks and cast some more, and if it still has a burr on the parting lines, repeate. I have cut many bullet molds in the past. Good luck, John the toolman.

Brother_Love
08-23-2010, 11:55 AM
OK, I got up this morning, fired up the coffee pot and melting pot. I scrubbed the burnished mold with dish soap and hot water. After drying, I cast 58 bullets and the same problem occured[smilie=b:. Next step is lapping, the step after that is ordering a new mold to take its place;).
Malcolm[smilie=s:

Wally
08-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Before you lap try this---make a steel wool "plug" and place it in a drill then the bullet cavity and spin. It has to be a tight fit. I had the same mold that used to do this to the front driving band--the steel wool burnished it enough to fix the problem for me.

Good luck.....

Brother_Love
08-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, imay have put this bad boy mold in its place! [smilie=w:I lapped it today with NAPA valve grinding compound, cleaned and started casting. First 6 released as the mold opened although they were a little wrinkled. From number 7 on they were perfect and released with one tap of the mallet:bigsmyl2:. The bands look to be good too. I will examine them closer with a magnifying glass when they cool.

Thanks for the help, Malcolm[smilie=s: