PDA

View Full Version : Why I like single cavity molds

Brother_Love
08-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe I am a little off (I have been told I am:smile:) but I like casting with s/c molds. I am an avearge shooter as far as rounds fired per month and I do own some 2 & 4 cavity molds. I am able to keep up with my own demand easily with s/c molds.

When casting with a s/c I can do a preliminary inspection as the bullet drops from the mold. I ssem to be able to keep a better rhythm as I am casting too. As I have aged and "arthur-itis" has come into the picture the s/c mold is not as fatiguing, old arthur is the pits.

I like for my HP molds to be s/c too. That is much easier than the d/c molds I have had hp'ed.

Just my humble opinion. Malcolm

geargnasher
08-21-2010, 01:27 PM
One thing to add to teh perks of a single-cavity mould: The boolits have a much better chance of being identical.

Gear

Shiloh
08-21-2010, 01:30 PM
If production volume meets your demands...You are set to go. I cast last fall with several two cavity molds. Haven't shot mush .30 cal yet, but I need to cast them again.

SHiloh

MT Gianni
08-21-2010, 01:31 PM
They are hard to feed a pistol with but I like my sc molds also.

geargnasher
08-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Depends on the pistol. I can feed my FIL's Model 29 for a year with Ideal HP 429421's with just a two-hour session. Thirty rounds off a bench for 100-yard groups is all either of us want at one session.

I could never keep my 1911s or Open Top fed with a single cavity, too much fun to shoot!

Gear

Guesser
08-21-2010, 02:46 PM
I also like my SC molds. Many of my favorite bullets are long out of production and I use my obsolete Ideal SC molds to feed my obsolete cartridge revolvers. I will cast using two SC molds of differing designs(makes sorting easier) but same material and similar weight. Moves right along, lighter, easier and faster and all the bullets from a mold are the same.
I do use DC for some because thats what I've got.

.30/30 Guy
08-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I love my single caviity molds. They give me enough volume for my needs.

Sure wish someone would step in and fill the void left by Don Eagan. What a pleasure it is to use one of his molds.

I also enjoy using my Hoch nose pour molds.

Bent Ramrod
08-21-2010, 05:41 PM
If you're experimentally minded, there is a much greater variety of designs offered in single-cavity.

XWrench3
08-22-2010, 08:25 AM
sorry to disagree with you Brother Love, but i am not much of a single cast person. if i had it my way, everything i own would be 6 cavity molds. but you have to special order, or watch fleabay for 6 cav rifle molds. i have old arthur starting in on me as well. for me, the faster i can get it done, the shorter i have to endure the discomfort. dont get me wrong, it is not that i dislike casting. just the opposite. i just cant see spending any more time doing it than i have to.

Doby45
08-22-2010, 09:43 AM
This is the half empty / half full debate. People that truly enjoy casting, enjoy the "casting" of it. Maybe you put half your booits back in the pot, maybe you don't, but if you enjoy casting you know you get to try again.

NSP64
08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm with you Brother. I have double and single cavity molds, but have been enjoying the single cavities more lately. When I use the DC molds ,I try to keep them seperated by cavity. With the SC mold I can get extreme weight spread of +- .5gr. That's less then 1% on a 180gr boolit.:drinks:

qajaq59
08-22-2010, 10:34 AM
I like a two cavity. But I have to admit that I only have one 30 caliber Lyman that drops 2 bullets exactly alike.

RU shooter
08-22-2010, 01:28 PM
I too like casting better with my SC moulds . Yes they arent that fast but one bullet every 10 seconds or so is fast enough for me. I normally only shoot about 150-200 rds.a month on average .