PDA

View Full Version : New to me .44 molds to try

ScottJ
08-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Still hoping to match the success I get out of the Lee 358-140-SWC in .357.

Have a 214-SWC bought off eBay and a TL 240 grain I traded my 200 RF to another forum member for.

Cast up a few this evening. Bigger but I still got .428 in one direction on both designs. Which tells me I might be doing something wrong with the calipers. I really need to break down and get me a mic. They were also still warm (but not too warm to hold) when I was measuring so that probably has something to do with it.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp182/ScottJ175/IMG00134.jpg

44man
08-21-2010, 08:11 AM
What metal did you cast them with?
They look perfect as far as your casting and maybe the mold is just too small. Calipers might not be giving you the truth either.
Water drop some and measure again. Then let them age a week and measure again. I don't like to measure right out of the mold unless I am making one and I water drop, looking for the correct size even though they will expand as they age.

ScottJ
08-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Metal is wheel weights with solder added for tin. Ran low of solder so I only added about a half ounce to roughly 9 pounds of lead.

I decided to try air cooled on these. I normally water drop everything.

Going to try the classic 10 gr of Unique for the TL 240s. Not sure what I want to use on the 214s.

One thing about the TL design is that there's a little bevel built in to the base. Makes me thing I got bad fill until I look closer and remember.

runfiverun
08-21-2010, 11:06 AM
i don't think i'd push those 240 tl's that fast right off.

HeavyMetal
08-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Lee molds are notorious for being undersized particularly in 44 caliber and I have no idea why.

I've had 5 Lee 44 molds and only one of them gave me 430 diameters, now the group buy stuff has always been on "spec" but only because the "honcho" would send it back if it wasn't!

You can try adding more tin but do not exceed 2% . This should be about 3.2 oz in a 10 pound pot.

Figure you clip on ww has .5% tin ( stick on's have none) add the appropriate amount of tin based on the ratio of the solder ( 60-40, 50-50, etc. ) I think you can get a little bigger but I don't know if you can add .003!

Last new Lee mold I got was a GB as I said anything else can be a **** shoot but I undestand Lee is going better QC wise these days.

You should also visit the "sticky" on Lee-menting seveal members have lapped a Lee mold until they got the desired diameter.

I have always felt that was to much work but to each his own.

ScottJ
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I'll probably just grab one of these the next time Midway runs a sale. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=682875

Gas-checked so I can really push it. I like my .44s to make big boom (probably shouldn't since my only .44 is a S&W 629 Classic).

TCLouis
08-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Just my opinion of course, BUT . . . .

Forget the caliper measurement, check the boolits against the chamber throats in your cylinder, and in the barrel.

Calipers may be off, but that throat/barrel diameter is all that matters.