PDA

View Full Version : Shooting glasses

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Howdy all!

I'm in the market for a pair of shooting glasses . . . I've looked on line at both the ESS Ice http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE_18_category.html and the Revision Sawfly http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html

Anybody use them?

I like the fact of having different lens colors, and they seem to fit the mil spec rating . . . Beside ansi, I also like that they have full side coverage.

Can anybody recommend something else that is similar?

I have been using the cheapie leftover from work safety glasses . . .

crabo
08-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Do you need prescription inserts? NYX is what I use because of the inserts.

http://www.nyxsportsglasses.com/carbonbluesteelcamo.php

Bloodman14
08-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Wal-mart has 'Sportsmens' safety glasses for $5.00. Yellow, orange, smoke, and clear. That's what I use.

jsizemore
08-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Decot Hy-Wyd.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-20-2010, 10:50 PM
No prescriptions needed, just want full protection, that fit.

I haven't been in a wally world for years . . . but I'm planning on hitting Sportsman's warehouse tomorrow . . .

lwknight
08-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I have enjoyed the Smith and Wesson safety glasses.
Smoke for bright days and and amber for cloudy days.
I get them at work. I think they cost about $5.00 per.

44fanatic
08-20-2010, 11:00 PM
I have both the ESS and Sawfly but only in the clear and grey/black tint lenses (military issue). They are both great for shooting. I also have a pair of Oakleys (military issue again) w/ the clear and grey/black tint. The Oakleys are my goto glasses.

I havnt look at getting additional lenses for the ESS or Sawflys but I have looked at the Oakleys and they do have a wide variety. They are also Milspec.

82nd airborne
08-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Shawn, stay away from the sawflys, as they are uncomfortable. I use the edge ballistic sunglasses from Botachtactical.com for 20 some odd dollars I believe. Also oakly M frames, but I'd never pay for those with my own money. Speaking of that, thankyou dear taxpayers for the pairs you bought me. But seriously, ESS makes quality protective eyeware too. I dont get them to look cool, it would take more than glasses to accomplish that with a face like mine, I would rather not skimp when it comes to my vision.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm looking to use these for both target shooting, and hunting.

Rocky Raab
08-21-2010, 09:44 AM
I used to be a dealer for both NYX and Decot. Either makes a good quality set of glasses for shooting, with interchangeable lenses. Decot is the Cadillac and NYX the Chevy as far as price is concerned. I use both.

First, you need to explain just what kind of shooting you will be doing. Bullseye and shotgun sports need diametrically opposite lens colors, for example. Different backgrounds, target colors and gun handling styles dictate different things also.

mtnman31
08-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Buying glasses is like buying a motorcycle helmet. Fit and comfort is most important. As long as the glasses meet the ANSI standard there isn't a whole lot of difference between an expensive pair and a cheap pair. You can spend 50 bucks or 5 and you're basically getting the same level of protection. If you get a 50 dollar pair, chances are that you are paying for the name and some fancy marketing. The mark-up on eyewear is insanely high when you are talking about manufacturers like Oakley, ESS, Wiley-X, etc. Some of them have features and gimmicks that you think you will use but likely won't. Interchangeable lenses are nice but don't mean squat if the glasses don't fit you well in the first place or you pay 75 bucks for that feature when you could buy three pairs of more economically priced glasses and have the same end results. Bottom line is to get some glasses that meet the ANSI Z87.1 standard (they will be marked as such) and most importantly fit and feel comfortable. When it comes to safety gear, if it isn't comfortable you won't wear it. Personally, I have a pair of seven dollar safety glasses I wear most often. They fit perfectly, are comfortable and look stylish enough that it doesn't look like I am wearing safety glasses. The Wiley-X glasses that cost me an arm and a leg have maybe been worn a half dozen times in the last four years.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm just out shooting targets for fun (plinking) or working up loads . . . and hunting . . . both shotgun for rabbit and dove/quail, hope to use the 44 mag Marlin for jack rabbits, might get my act together and go after some javelina or deer this fall . . . mostly small game for me though.

I looked at some Remington's and Winchester, and some other inexpensive brand today, (all about $12) also looked at the sawfly . . . they fit OK!

Will the cheapie ones stand up to this? (I hope I never have a major KB, but if one were to happen . . .)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mbDokgXmFA&feature=related

Most are ansi rated but . . . is that enough?

Frome here: http://www.shooting-glasses-guide.com/shooting-glasses-lens.htm
Impact resistance ratings are typically standardized through agencies and groups like Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OHSA), American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and the U.S. Military. These standardized rating provide the minimum recommended impact resistance for safety based lens. Some rating information from each group:

OHSA Safety Standard 1910.133(a)(2) requires impact resistant lens AND "eye protection that provides side protection when there is a hazard from flying objects."

ANSI standards for impact resistance are outlined in article Z87.1 and Z87.3. These standards were provided to ANSI by the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) and specifically focus on eye safety.

U.S. Military - The U.S. Military uses a testing standard called MIL-V-43511C, which is a .22 caliber ballistics impact test. U.S. Military eyewear must pass this standard before being issued to any U.S. military personnel.

Bloodman14
08-21-2010, 10:13 PM
The Wal-Mart ones have GTV ANSI Z87-81[]12-115 on the frames and G+S on the lenses. I use them for all outdoor work; weedeating, mowing, chainsaw work, etc. and all casting/reloading/shooting/hunting work. FWIW, YMMV.

cajun shooter
08-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I also use the Wally World safety frames. They can be twisted or sat on an still work. I do have to have a prescription lens inserted though. My younger days of running about have turned into looking at the calendar for my next MD visit.

Mk42gunner
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I have to agree with mtnman31-- if its not comfortable, you won't wear it.

Ialso agree with Gunnerd-- the $5.00 walmart glasses are what i use now. they are cheap enough that there isn't any heartbreak over replacing a scratched set. Just try them on before buying, the different styles feel different. I keep a pair in each truck.

I have had Oakleys in the past, and while they fit well, they were easily scratched. It is a lot easier to throw away a five dollar pair of glasses thatn a fifty dollar or more pair.

Robert

Changeling
08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Howdy all!

I'm in the market for a pair of shooting glasses . . . I've looked on line at both the ESS Ice http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE_18_category.html and the Revision Sawfly http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html

Anybody use them?

I like the fact of having different lens colors, and they seem to fit the mil spec rating . . . Beside ansi, I also like that they have full side coverage.

Can anybody recommend something else that is similar?

I have been using the cheapie leftover from work safety glasses . . .

If you have a SAM's or Costco near you try a pair of Serengeti shades with the corning lenses, I wear them all the time as shooting or sunglasses, absolutely awesome! Cost i think runs from $50. to less than a $100.

I might add that because of the job I used to have, I have to have quality glasses because I wear them so much. When it comes to your eyes, whatever works is CHEAP, trust me!

Best of luck to you.

AZ-Stew
08-24-2010, 08:43 PM
If they don't have side shields, pass them by.

I was at the range one day wearing my nifty Bausch & Lomb aviator-style, tempered glass, amber lens shooting glasses when the guy next to me fired his revolver. A powder particle passed behind the lens from the left side and embedded itself in the skin just below my left eye. 3/4 of an inch higher and I'd have had it in my cornea. Yeah, those glasses looked really cool. But they didn't do the job when I needed them.

Regards,

Stew

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-24-2010, 10:05 PM
I ended up ordering ESS ICE system today . . . from Optics Planet . . . I had a 10% discount coupon!