PDA

View Full Version : bullet weights.

zorro 5858
08-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi folks I picked up a use cabela hawken hunter carbine 50 cal. 21 inch barrel with a 1 in 24 twist. Would like input on lead bullet weight was thinking in the 400 grains or more for white tail hunting in wis. Also will be useing Schuetzen black powder and cci p. caps. would also like what powder weight in grains from lows to highs. will shoot r. ball for fun. Thanks for your input on this. zorro 5858

DIRT Farmer
08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't know what your book shows but around 70 grns of ffg should be a starting point. I haven't gotten around to trying round ball in fast twist, some here have.

10 ga
08-21-2010, 11:21 AM
I have one just like yours. Mine likes boolits in the 270 gr. and up range. I shoot 85gr. Swiss FFF for hunting and I don't think I'm burning all of it in that short barrel. Patched RB is good but can't pump it up too high with the RBs. For the RB plinkin I use 50 gr of FF or even F. I used to use 400+ gr boolits but found that was way too much boolit and recoil and all of that wasn't necessary on Whitetails. Due to using BP I don't use sabots as I'd have to swab every shot but if I do swab the sabots shoot good too. I have a BRP(see vendor/sponsor forum) 270 gr TC clone mold for a REAL type boolit and it shoots real good. Just use SOFT lead and plenty of lube and you only have to swab about every 8-10 shots. It seems to like the "belted" type boolits too, 295 to 350 gr work good. I put a Lyman peep sight on mine and it is really accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to take deer out to 150 yds. Enjoy the toy! 10 ga

saz
08-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Check out "No Excuses" bullets. Just google it. I have been using his 495gr conical for years now and WHAT A BOOLIT! He really casts some high class stuff. I shoot them out of a remington Genesis and a white super 91, and I can achieve 1.5" groups at 100yds all day long out of either gun. He also makes a few lighter boolits for the .50- I just buy them from him. Super nice guy.

BTW, I took a nice bull moose at 110 yds with that 495gr boolit a couple of years ago.....