PDA

View Full Version : Fouling???

qajaq59
08-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I have an in-line ml that my son gave me and it's all pretty new to me.
Yesterday, after only 4 shots, the accuracy went totally out the window. And I mean ridiculously bad. I ran a couple of patches down the barrel trying to clean it. But I had forgotten my tools and couldn't remove the bolt and breech plug to clean it correctly. I checked the scope and it's tight, so I'm wondering if fouling can really mess up accuracy that fast? It's a 50 caliber and I'm shooting the Lee R.E.A.L.S. I haven't got my notes here but the lube is a beeswax mix that I got in here somewhere.

northmn
08-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Fouling with BP is or can be critical. I really saw it in a 45-70 where I could not hit the paper after 2-3 shots using the wrong lube. A good lube keeps the powder soft. If you swab the bore and feel a very hard dry toward the muzzle you need a different lube. A good harder lube is SPG or LYman Gold designed for BP. Some like Bore butter. There are more recipes for homemade than I can think of but stay away from anything petroleum based. Someone once stated on one of the threads that udder balm with Lanolin was great. I tried it and it isn,t.

Northmn

chief3
08-20-2010, 09:29 PM
I keep a cleaning jag on the loading rod and place a patch wet with windshield washer solvent on the jag when seating the ball. Keeps the fouling soft and prevents build up.
I can shoot all day without cleaning . This works with a patched round ball and I think it should with R.E.A.L.'s but I never use them so I don't know.