PDA

View Full Version : I have a conscience but it pays off (long but interesting)

Patrick L
08-20-2010, 08:02 AM
As a prequel, you just need to know that I like older S&W revolvers(not antiques, just say pre lock and frame mounted firing pins.) 4 and 5 screw guns are extra nice, and of course I like pinned and recessed guns. I have been searching for a Model 29 that fits this time period for about 3 years now. Now onto the story:

One of my wife's coworkers is a widow. She casually mentions that she is going to call the police to turn in her late husband's "military rifles" since she wants them out of the house. My wife says don't do that, let Patrick take them, he'll either sell them for you or maybe even buy some himself. Widow says to me, "OK and since I appreciate you doing me this favor, if there's a gun you like you can just have it." Fine.

Well, it turns out she doesn't have military rifles (too bad since that's what I'm into; I was hoping to find a SMLE, 03A3, or maybe even a carbine) but rather hunting guns. That's cool. There were 5 guns, 4 pieces of junk and a Winchester Model 71. Now this is not my area of expertise, but I do know the Winchester is a nice old gun and that the Model 71 is somewhat desireable. I say Gee that's a nice levergun and she says well then you just take that for yourself. I'm thinking it will be fun to cast bullets for this. I said thank you, I'll try to get what I can for the other 4, probably $100 or so total, and get the $$ to her. She's happy since she was originally just going to surrender them for nothing.

Well, you know the rest. It turns out the Model 71 is worth a few bucks. How much is debateable, the internet folks are generally nuts as they can always document every gun the sell as having belonged to General Custer or Abe Lincoln himself, and therefore worth the prices they are asking. A dealer I trust, and who prices things realistically so that they move quick, said he would sell it easily for $1500, and offered me $1300. Another guy, a former dealer, concurred that that was reasonable.

So now I have a moral dilemma. I didn't know these things were worth this much. I simply cannot just take this gun. I know some of you will say I'm nuts, but that's just me.

I call my wife's friend, thank her and tell her I just can't accept the gun, so would you like me to sell it? She says sell it and we'll split the money. I still am not comfortable, I say no I'll just sell it. I do say that sometimes you can get a higher offer in trade, how about if I find a gun I like somewhere. She says by all means, she wasn't expecting anything so if I can work a deal that gets her some money and me something I like that would be fine.

So now I call another place I frequent, who often deals in older stuff like my gun and often has interesting things. I ask if he's interested in the 71, and does he happen to have much in the way of used Smith N frames? He says yes and yes, he believes he has a few Highway Patrolman models and a Model 29. I go there and he spends over an hour with me going over the 71. He concurs with what everyone else says, and offers me $1250. I ask to see the Smiths.

He says he was mistaken about the Highway Patrolmen, they were already sold, but he gets out the 29. Its a 4 screw gun, I believe a pre 29, but I'll need to research that more. The gun is fairly tight, it shows signs of use but not abuse. There is some blue wear on the end of the barrel and bottom of the trigger guard consistent with holster wear, a little blue wear on the backstrap from shooting, and there is a drag line on the cylinder. Like I said, use but not abuse. Bore looks new. Gun has older diamond Coke bottle grips, which I absolutely love. It has the original presentation box, the old black vinyl covered type. Box interior is rough but salvageable. Price is $700. I ask if he will go 500, as to the condition. He says no, he thinks that due to the vintage of the gun, and the presence of the box, he could get 700. I say what would he allow on trade for the 71? He said 1500. I said if he will allow 1500, but give me the $800 back as change, we've got a deal. He initially said no, but then said OK since it was for the widow.

Some of you more expert in gun values may say I got hosed. I don't think so. I'm going to put $500 of my own gun fund in with the $800 and give it to my wife's friend. The way I see it

1. The nice lady who was expecting nothing gets $1300 (actually more once you add the other 4 guns)

2. For a net outllay of $500 I get a gun I really like, and have been looking for for awhile now.

3. The dealer will make money on the 71.

4. I slept like a baby last night.

I think everyone wins.

Mk42gunner
08-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Patrick,

I believe that you have acted honorably in this instance. This sounds like the best kind of deal; where everybody thinks they got the best of it.

Robert

Trey45
08-20-2010, 08:47 AM
That's not only a great gun story, but a great way to live life too. Consider this a cyber handshake and a pat on the back. As they say around here, ya done good!

mike in co
08-20-2010, 10:12 AM
yep ya done good

Doc Highwall
08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I wish more of this was going on not just me me me.

Wayne Smith
08-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Absolutely, good for all. Couldn't have done better.

08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
An unselfish and honorable act.

Echo
08-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I am giving you a very quiet, but heartfelt, "Way To Go".

It's an honor to be a member of the same forum as you.

Blammer
08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Now THAT's a deal!

Good job!

9.3X62AL
08-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Your honor and decency in this matter are the makings of true nobility. Some folks did a fine job of raising their son to manhood.

Hickory
08-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Now, I have a question for you guys.
What would the cops have done with these guns?

ph4570
08-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Well done, as it has been said -- everyone is pleased.

82nd airborne
08-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Ever go to the Tulsa firearms museum? It says donated by Tulsa PD below almost every one. Some are very very colectable too.

kbstenberg
08-20-2010, 06:33 PM
I would like to think all the members of this website would have done the same.
I also applaud you sir,
Kevin

ricksplace
08-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Bravo, Sir.

home in oz
08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Sounds good to me.

Thecyberguy
08-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Making a deal and being able to sleep well, knowing you did "the right thing" is awesome.

Thank you for being a fair gentleman and I hope your Smith is everything you want it to be and more.

Have a good 'un, thecyberguy

Catshooter
08-20-2010, 09:21 PM
A time honored tradition is cheating widows & orphans. You could have easily followed this tradition and no one would have known. Except you. And it doesn't matter where you go, there you are.

Good on you.

Cat

82nd airborne
08-20-2010, 09:26 PM
My guess is you will never have a problem with the smith. Seems to work out that way when you get it the right way. I wont call it karma, Ive got my own belief system that seems to earn reward points for good deeds, as long as your not in it for the points.

Catshooter, James chapter 1?

runfiverun
08-20-2010, 09:30 PM
can't add much to the above.
:drinks:

tward
08-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Well done, I hope I would have acted as honorable. Sir, I salute you !!

smoked turkey
08-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Patrick:
Very awesome. Congradulations on getting a good ole Smith. I am fortunate to also have one of the old ones. They are nice. I have an old 4 screw Highway Patrolman also and it is also nice but not as much as the 29. Enjoy, and I somehow think you will have a long and successful life. Seems to work out that way sometimes.

Buckshot
08-20-2010, 11:47 PM
............What goes around comes around. Don't be overly surprised if at some time in the future your personal $500 outlay gets repaid, and possibly several times over.

...............Buckshot

a.squibload
08-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Ya done good.

The way I hear it, upstate NY, the cops might raffle it for a charity.
If it was NYC, they might have detained her for questioning about her arsenal.
Boomberg would have pointed her guns at some reporters, etc.

Have fun with the vintage revolver, you've earned it.

gray wolf
08-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Your my kind of guy,

If it were me and I did it any other way I wouldn't sleep for the rest of my life.
I just can't stand taking advantage of anything or anyone. I know that people do it,
and it has been done to me many times.
People that are nice folks often get the sharp end of the stick, and yes good deeds do come back to you.
At a young age while out picking Mushrooms My mentor said to me
" Never pick the biggest one -- or the last one "
" and chop wood and carry water "
Made sense to me then and it still does now.
So yes you did a good thing in my eyes and I see that many of us agree with you.

Sam

Patrick L
08-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Just a little postscript;

I'm not nominating myself for sainthood or anything, but the story gets better. The widow was so happy, she said that it was not necessary for me to kick in the $500, just take the M29 and she would be happy with the $800 the dealer paid. I refused, but we did compromise, as I was going to give her $50 for the one remaining .22 rifle (about what its worth, really, just a beater) and she said ABSOLUTELY NOT! just keep the .22.

9.3X62AL
08-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Nice postscript, Patrick.

As to what an agency would do with the guns......it varies from agency to agency. My old department places good-condition sidearms that we authorize--and good-condition rifles that we authorize--into service. There was an annual auction of rifles and shotguns open to FFL dealers as well. The rest got melted at a foundry.

leadman
08-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Now every time you get out one of those 2 guns you wil know you did the right thing. If you hadn't it would have haunted you and you would not enjoy those guns.

I like a good deal, but do not want to cheat someone who has no idea what something is worth. If her husband was alive and you negotiated a good deal, that would have been different as he would probably had an idea of the worth.

The way you did the deal everyone is happy and you can really get that good feeling every time you take out the gun.

HeavyMetal
08-23-2010, 12:23 AM
A veery wise old man once told me:

It isn't what you do when everyone is watching.....It's what you do when no one is watching that give the true measure of a man!

You measure up!

I hope to do as well should such temptation come my way.