PDA

View Full Version : Boot Suggestions

cabezaverde
08-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I am going on a November pheasant hunt with the buuddies in November. Most of my hunting boots are highly insulated rubber for stand sitting.

Any suggestions for what I want in a new pair of boots?

PS - I have lot's of Cabelas points.

Lloyd Smale
08-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Ive allways been a fan of red wings. I made my living as an electrical lineman and theres probably no more of a severe test of boots then that job and i tried many different brands and none held up, stayed water proff and were as confortable as redwings. Only two others id consider are west coast and wolverine. I dont know about the wolverines of late as i havent had a pair in 10 years.

e15cap
08-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Think light weight, lots of walking, don't need to pick up all that extra weight all day. the best I ever had were Russells Macintosh Bird shooters but pretty spendy now. Cabelas Kangaroo are good boots. Best, Roger

cabezaverde
08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
e15cap

I wonder if I need the insulated or uninsulated model.

cajun shooter
08-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I would go for a pair of light weight boots with at least 8oo grams of insulation. Cabela's sells the LaCross brand of which I have a pair. They are in the $165 range and will last many seasons. Make sure to buy them so that you may wear a good heavy wool sock with a liner. You can buy the very lightweight liner socks at ski shops. Most hunters don't think about them. They sell some with silver thread. They allow you to wear your boot with a lighter over sock to make walking more comfortable. The main thing is to buy those boots right now and start wearing them. If not you will not have a fun hunt as you should never go hunting with new boots.

Marvin S
08-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Browning or Cabela's upland boots are hard to beat for lots of walking.

orangezuk
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
+1 on the kangaroo.
I will use socks ect. over "built in" insulation ie; thisulate ect. anyday. Wet socks can be changed, wet fully insulated boots are a pain.

Dan Cash
08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Russell moccassin boots. Worth every penny but get them ordered now if you want them in November. These are the first boots ever in my life that don't hurt my feet.

e15cap
08-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Insulation is not needed in my opinion and I hunt Minnesota. Get em broke in and waterproofed and have dry socks if you need em. My Russells felt like bedroom slippers the first time I put them on and got better with age. Take care of them and they will last for years and Rusell can rebuild em if they are not too far gone. Best, Roger

Ivantherussian03
08-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Plan on spending 200 bucks at least other wise the quality will be inferior. I am Danner man myself. I have got 2 pairs......the one pair I wear daily are 12 years old, and I am on my third sole, and minor repair job at the repair shop, when some stitching failed. My boots have lasted so long because I take of them.

redneckdan
08-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I am a big fan of Whites Boots. I don't smoke, rarely drink, and don't chase wild women...my vice is great footwear and let me tell you it makes a huge difference. I've worn my smoke jumpers every day for over 3 years and it shows, they will probably be dead after this fall. The basalt mine rock here is very hard on boots and your feet. At the end of a shift pretty much everyone else is limping back to their truck, my feet feel like I spent the day loafing around the house.

Lloyd Smale
08-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Whites were also a popular boot along with west coasters for lineman i knew. there excellent boots but like west coast boots you pay for what you get. I went though a stage with the lightweight boots. thought they were the ticket for all day use but there not. They usually have poor support and alot of the weight savings is in the fact they use thin arches that dont give great support. A heavier leather boot with a good steel arch is easier on your feet in the long run. Look at what people that are on there feet all day in really tought situations wear. Like loggers, fire jumpers, lineman ect. Big difference in living in a boot then using one for a two day hunt. I said i liked redwings and there a good boot but to me boots like that are really shoes. For serious everyday use there are better choises. Guys too will buy boots that climbers use for hunting and thats a mistake. Climbers boots are a specilty boot that are made for climbing rock and are not a good boot for walking and living in. In my opinion any boot that right out of the box feels like a pair of hushpuppies on your feet will NEVER have enough support anywhere to be a real good boot. Boots need to support your ankles and arches and a thin kangero leather boot will never do that.

randyrat
08-22-2010, 07:28 AM
I'll second the Red Wings. I've been using Red Wing boots for years. Many times i was able to put a new pair on and wear them all day long the first time. Depends on the boot style. Don't take a chance on a new pair of boots, test them at home.

Ditto on the thin socks
Also for cold or even hot hunting/walking the thin socks under another pair of regular socks is the way to save your feet. They wick the sweat away and therefore will prevent rubbing raw & trench foot. Always carry an extra pair or two of outer socks with you.

280Ackley
08-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Think lite weight and goretex. Lots of walking and the difference between a 4 lb pair and a 2.5 lb pair will be clear at the end of the day. +1 on Cabelas brand Currently I'm on my sencond pair of Britneys. Good boot under 150. The Russels mentioned by others here are the Cadalic of bird boots and if money is not a problem I'd go that way. Redwings are a very good boot, but require a lot of breakin and they didn't used to come with Goretex don't know if thats true anymore or not. Also +1 on the socks. They make a huge difference. My preference is the guide socks by Cabelas. Very pricey but make a big difference in how your feet feel at the end of the day. Good luck and good hunting.

garbear
08-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Red wings

geargnasher
08-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Another class of individual that is hard on their boots are mechanics. I have worn Wolverines for nearly 20 years and love them, but I buy the Durashock line with oil-resistant soles for standing in grease and climbing all over/under/through rigs and heavy equipment.

A word of caution: Just because your boots are broken in for walking doesn't mean they'll manage any kind of grade without blistering you badly. Walking uphill will ruin your heels in less than a mile, walking downhill will blister the tops of your toes and make your toenails sore as heck. Make terrain a consideration.

Redwings are excellent, too, just get the right ones for the job. +1 on ski socks for insulation. Also knee-high ladies stockings make outstanding insulation without bulk. Get silk if you can, don't let your hunting buddies know you're wearing them.

Gear

hoosierlogger
08-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Whites were also a popular boot along with west coasters for lineman i knew. there excellent boots but like west coast boots you pay for what you get. I went though a stage with the lightweight boots. thought they were the ticket for all day use but there not. They usually have poor support and alot of the weight savings is in the fact they use thin arches that dont give great support. A heavier leather boot with a good steel arch is easier on your feet in the long run. Look at what people that are on there feet all day in really tought situations wear. Like loggers, fire jumpers, lineman ect. Big difference in living in a boot then using one for a two day hunt. I said i liked redwings and there a good boot but to me boots like that are really shoes. For serious everyday use there are better choises. Guys too will buy boots that climbers use for hunting and thats a mistake. Climbers boots are a specilty boot that are made for climbing rock and are not a good boot for walking and living in. In my opinion any boot that right out of the box feels like a pair of hushpuppies on your feet will NEVER have enough support anywhere to be a real good boot. Boots need to support your ankles and arches and a thin kangero leather boot will never do that.
Amen Lloyd, I am in boots for 12 hours a day. I wear Matterhorn boots that are chainsaw resistant and steel toed. They cost about $300 a pair and I can wear them for about a year and a half before they go to **** if I oil them. They are made in such a manner that they are durable, yet comfortable. I even wear them when I am not working. You get what you pay for. Danner also makes a darn good boot.

DanWalker
08-22-2010, 09:11 PM
I bought my matterhorns at the Ft Knox PX in 1995. Still have them. Still hunt in them when the weather gets cold.
For warm weather, look at Irish Setter boots. They're made by Red Wing and are superior to just about everything else when you're looking for a warm weather rugged country hunting boot.

whitetailsniper
08-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I USE THE ROCKY BEAR CLAWS,,THEY WEAR LIKE IRON,100% WATER PROOF BEST BOOTS I EVER BOUGHT,I BELIEVE IN THE LAST 8 YRS I AM ON MY SECOND PAIR ,AND STILL HAVE MY FIRST,,,THE ROCKY BRAND HAS LITE WEIGHT BOOTS AS WELL. IF IT DOENTS SAY ROCKY I WONT EVEN LOOK AT THEM,NOR BUY THEM. THEY HAVE THE BRUIN MODEL WITCH IS AVAILABLE IN BOTH INSULATED AND NONE INSULATED BUT WITH THE GORTEX LINERS SEWN INTO THE BOOT BOTH MODELS ARE 100 % water proof. these boots make great for hiking,bird hunting. ROCKY BOOTS IS MY BRAND

tonyjones
08-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Go with Russell Moccasin Co. boots. The South 40 Bird Shooter is a good recommendation. Pick out a high performance sock like ThorLo light hiking and wear them while you are being measured. Your feet will thank you and break-in will be minimal. I have a pair of Russell PH II's that I estimate I've walked well over 1,000 miles in while spot and stalk hunting and they will probably go almost that far again before needing new soles: which Russell will install for $50 or so.
Regards,
Tony

a.squibload
08-25-2010, 03:40 AM
+1 Matterhorn but can't seem to find 'em around here, will search online. Mine need soles, wore 'em for years.
+1 Danner, I believe they took over Matterhorn? Both are still waterproof with little or no help from me.
Once a year or two I like to work some Sno-Seal into 'em, haven't done that yet with the Danners, 3 years. I'm slacking.
+1 polypro liner socks, and carrying extra socks. Polypro long johns help too.

Now don't go weird on me but I used to carry leg warmers in the truck, those knit things that dancers wear.
They help keep feet warm without being too hot in the crotchal area...

Pb2au
08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
LL Bean Bean boot.
They are filled with win. all others are filled with fail.

Boz330
08-25-2010, 02:37 PM
If you have Cabela's points logged up you might try their Rimrock Hikers. Not terribly expensive and comfortable. They are a mid height with no insulation but work pretty well to down in the low 30s. I use to use these for guiding in NM and 2 pair lasted me 10 seasons and the last pair is still going although long overdue for replacement. A normal pair of the light weight hikers was done in a season. The rocks and lava out there eliminates soles post haste. Learned that the first season.

Bob

cajun shooter
08-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Let me tell you why I suggested the boots with the Gortex and Insulation. They will serve you in many more places than the one hunt. When you start paying over $150 for a pair of boots they should work as well on a late in the year hunt then work for a sitting on the stand hunt. They will also work along the edge of a marsh for incoming woodies. A snowmobile ride and so on. I don't agree with anyone that said no insulation or Gortex. The double sock with the ski sock liner is the only way to go and you will be hooked the first time you try it.

Cowboy5780
08-26-2010, 05:04 AM
Go buy a pair of Military surplus boots costs about 70 bucks and one of the best wearing boots ive ever had my feet in and ive been a mechanic for 30 plus years, ive also worn the Rocky Bear Claws too there at the top of the list

pmeisel
09-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I have a pair of Gokey's that I just love...

Butler Ford
09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I won't list my credentials for boot wear-it is extensive-the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever worn were Browning Kangaroo Upland boots.

thx997303
09-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Personally, I have had good luck with the Cabela's brand boots.

They aren't too expensive, they wear well, keep my feet warm and dry, and Cabela's has quite the return policy should you wear them out prematurely.

DanWalker
09-13-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm looking at Irish setter Trophy Quest boots now.
I'll be stopping by Cabelas in Billings on my way home in a couple days to try them out in the store.

82nd airborne
09-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Check out oakley combat boots. They feel like a tennis shoe, no matter how much you walk, trust me, I put a lot of miles on some.

frank505
09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Whites smoke jumpers for most of the year, when its cold I switch to Schnees felt lined or the neoprene pull ons which name escapes me. Wore them neoprenes last year, my feet were so happy and warm I bought Helga a pair. She loves them also.

SamTexas49
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Ok, Ill be shameful (or shameless?) here about some "Boots"

Do check out the Boot Campaign at bootcampaign.com (http://www.bootcampaign.com/)

then check out lonesurvivorfoundation.org (http://www.lonesurvivorfoundation.org/)

Ive got my boots on!!:mrgreen:

PatMarlin
09-15-2010, 11:06 PM
I really like Cabelas Outfitter Series Boots.

I wear the 400gr Thinsulate all year around as a work boot all day long on my feet, and mild hunting weather, and the full 1200 gr for winter. They are very comfortable, well made and the price is very reasonable.

They are warm and waterproof as well.

cabezaverde
09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks Guys,

I found a pair of Rockies I bought 10 or 12 years ago that I forgot I had. I am wearing those a lot these days and trying to get them broken in.