PDA

View Full Version : Purge old lube LubeMatic?

kamikaze1a
08-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Recently went from a soft, no heater required to a harder lube that requires a heater. The old lube was too sticky and messy and like this new lube a lot.

Problem is, there seems to be some of the old lube hiding in the lube/sizer. It starts to show up once the new lube gets good and heated. I've gone through a whole bunch of sticks of the new lube and been waiting for the old lube to completely clear out but somehow, it seems to be endless. Every time I am lubing, once the hard lube gets good and warm, traces of the old lube starts to show up...

How do you guys purge your old lube? Or do you?

RobS
08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I have an aluminum plate with an iron on mine for a heater and all I do it wait until the last bit of lube is in the lubricator and then I pull the plunger, die, and turn up the heat on the iron so it all melts out into the trash can I place underneith it.

Others have put the lubricator in boiling water and some have heated the body of the lubricator with a torch or something that can create heat and allowed the old lube to run out.

Mk42gunner
08-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I have boiled my Lubamatic with dawn dish soap when I shanged lubes. Next time I will use either a heat gun or a propane torch, boiling took a long time.

Robert

08-19-2010, 08:40 PM
I use a propane torch.

kamikaze1a
08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks, never thought of that...will give that a go! Thanks again!!!

dragonrider
08-19-2010, 09:43 PM
'a hair dryer will work also.

kamikaze1a
08-19-2010, 11:53 PM
I'll probably just turn the heater up high and let it sit. I am running it at lowest temp for heating the lube and cycling on/off as it is so high should do the trick. My heater is a aluminum plate bolted between lube/sizer and an old clothing iron sitting on the plate. Works great and cost me $2 for the plate and another $2 at the Sally shop for the iron... The lady at the Sally shop said that the iron was messed up because the person who donated it scorched it. It was funny to see her face as I was trying to explain what I was gonna use it for.

geargnasher
08-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Boil it with two teaspoons of Dawn dish detergent in a container that will submerge the sizer. I do this outdoors with a second-hand store pot and the side burner on my gas grill. Like you would cook a lobster. Pour the old lube off the surface into a bucket full of wadded-up newsprint ro kitty litter if you don't want to save it.

Gear

qajaq59
08-20-2010, 07:34 AM
As Gear said. I just stuck it in a bucket and boiled it.

winelover
08-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Removed all the non-metalic parts and put it in the oven on an old cookie sheet. Kept turning up the heat, little by until all the lube melted out.

Winelover