PDA

View Full Version : Melting pulled plated bullets

cpaspr
08-19-2010, 11:54 AM
The title about says it all.

I have about 700 pulled copper plated/washed 200gr .45 bullets that all measure about .450" They won't load in .45 ACP cases without pushing back into the case. They've been squeezed too much for re-use.

Can I drop these into the pot and have the copper melt off and rise to the top? 20# of lead, and I can't think of anything else to do with them.

Wally
08-19-2010, 11:57 AM
You sure can...I add to the pot when it is about 1/2 full of molten lead and add & stir..you then have to spoon off the copper "slag"...

uncle joe
08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
please make sure the bottom is open to the lead core, some fmj bullets are copper all around 'no lead showing anywhere' if they are like this you need to hit them with a hammer or bust the copper some way so the lead can escape.

cpaspr
08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks Wally and Joe.

Joe - they're not jacketed, they're plated. Do I still need to whack them?

Wally
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks Wally and Joe.

Joe - they're not jacketed, they're plated. Do I still need to whack them?

No, you will not need to.

JIMinPHX
08-19-2010, 01:51 PM
If the plating fully encases the lead, then I think that you will need to hit them with a hammer to split them open. I'm assuming that you are talking about a "plated" bullet that is something like the ones that are available from Berry's.

azrednek
08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I do as Jim recommends or file a small groove through the copper. If I miss one and it is in the lead pot and hot enough to melt lead. I squish it against the side of the pot with my dipper or gently squeeze it with needle nose pliers and the molten lead oozes out.

cpaspr
08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks all.

I'm thinking I should I drain the pot (which currently has bullet alloy) as these are probably softer lead which use the plating for their hardness.

Rocky Raab
08-19-2010, 03:39 PM
When I visited Berry's, they told me that the alloy they use is harder than pure lead -"close to wheelweights" is what they said. Their plating is also thicker than a "wash" and completely encapsulates the lead. You'd certainly have to cut or rupture that plating before trying to melt them, and the plating would rise intact to the top, just like bullet jackets do.

Triggerhappy
08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
The copper clad bullets and pre-swaged blanks I get are basically #2 Lyman mix, according to the large bullet manufacturer that uses them. Also, the jacket is thick enough that I have to puncture them to get the lead out. A framing hammer with a sharp cross hatch on the face works ok. Lay them all out and whack each one. I get them by the 5 gallon bucketfull so it takes a while.

Poygan
08-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I tried the squeezing with a pliers routine once (operative word here is once) and I managed to produce a very fine stream of molten lead that found me. I think the "smashing before melting" would be less exciting....

casterofboolits
08-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I dropped handful of plated bullets in my smelting pot one day, and they immediatly melted leaving a few wisps of plating which turned black and evaporated with a bit of smoke. Plating was probably .0003!

XWrench3
08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
i have always taken a pair of cutters, and at least chopped open a section or cut them in half to let the lead out.

Bent Ramrod
08-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Plus-1 on the cutters before melting. Those bullets which have the plating undamaged swell like little balloons when the inside gets molten. The plating is just thick enough to not break apart as the alloy melts and swells, but the molten lead can squirt out with any rough handling and flies around for surprising distances.

Mk42gunner
08-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Always better to be safe than sorry.

Robert

timkelley
08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Triggerhappy, at the risk of being profane, what is wrong with shooting those plated bullets? I have some from Ranier in a 200gr/.452 that shoot nicely from my XD45 and from my Ruger Bisley 45.

troy_mclure
08-20-2010, 10:32 PM
i melted a bunch of rainier plated boolits.

they were squirting fine(hair thin) streams of lead everywhere. made a helluva mess of lead fuzz.

whack with a hammer, cut with dykes, etc..., anything to get prevent pressure from building up.

blackthorn
08-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote: "i melted a bunch of rainier plated boolits.

they were squirting fine(hair thin) streams of lead everywhere. made a helluva mess of lead fuzz."

Making "lead wool" for doing impact chamber casts?LOL.