PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy problem in 9mm solved

Fly-guy
08-18-2010, 12:44 AM
I had been advised that 9mm’s were not very accurate and so I shied away from them for quite a while.

It was one of those calibers where I had everything needed to cast and load, just didn’t have the gun.

I finally decided that I would buy a 92 knowing full well that it would not be a tack driver. After trying several different powders without success I then tried Blue Dot.

After working with it, I finally found a load that was “fairly” accurate, but it had to be right on the money. If I went over or under 5.7 grains by .1 grain, the group would open up so I had to be real careful with my powder charge.

To shorten this up a bit, I accidentally found this web site and read about shooting the boolits as cast and of course, the jpw/lla/mineral spirits boolit lube.
I increased the mineral spirits by quite a bit and finally got a mixture that would dry in several hours. I started firing test loads this afternoon and was able to increase the powder charge up to 6.7 grains.

Almost every load shot under 3 1/2” and the 6.7 grouped at 1 1/2”. Needless to say I was pretty happy being able to find a load that didn’t have to be exact. So, if you are having issues with accuracy from your 9mm, try not sizing your boolits and double dip them with the jpw/lla/mineral spirits boolit lube.

By the way, I am storing the boolit lube mixture in a Snapple bottle and that has worked very well. When I tried a plastic bottle, the spirits would evaporate, thus changing the mixture. Good luck with your 9!

chris in va
08-18-2010, 03:53 AM
Interesting. I had to go with a boolit .003 over bore slug, but still not terribly happy with the results. Probably time I change powders and get some JPW as others have suggested.

jdgabbard
08-18-2010, 05:25 AM
I normally just size between .356 and 3.58 and use carnuba red...or occassionally a homemade lube (very tacky, and needs heat).

I haven't had any issues in my firearms yet. My Ruger PC9 will keep them at minute of paper plate out to a 100yd. So I think that is not to shabby for a pistol caliber carbine with cast. And I'm using Unique for what its worth.

casterofboolits
08-18-2010, 07:06 AM
I disovered Blue Dot back in the early 80's working up loads for the 38 Super for IPSC. I was able to make major using a Magma 160 RNBB sized 357 with Magma lube and 7.2 grns of Blue Dot. This was in a stock Colt unsupported barrel. No pressure signs at all. No flattened primers or buldged cases.

The Blue Dot worked so well in the Super that I decided to try it in he 9mm. An H&G 09-125-SWCBB sized 357 over 6.5 grns of Blue Dot and was a one holer at 15 yards from my Browning Hl-Power and my FIE version of the EAA Witness.

The success in the 9mm then led to the 380 with bullets of 92 to 125 grns which worked well in an FIE Pony and two of the new Colt 1911 style 380s.

Blue Dot was my magic wand for these calibers and later in the 40 S&W with the Lyman 40-175-TCBB.

Did I mention that I am a fan of Blue Dot? :bigsmyl2:

Bret4207
08-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Glad to hear you found a "sweet spot". Just remember that what works in one gun, with one alloy and one cartridge may not work with another, especially since most of us use differing alloys. The important thing is to note the general trends and the way other people find success. Over time you'll observe the same general methods of getting past a sticky point keep cropping up. Shooting as cast is one of those methods, but there'll always be that odd gun that wants boolits right at bore diameter with your particular alloy.

That's that art part of this game!

felix
08-18-2010, 09:01 AM
BlueDot has always been one of my favorites, after seeing what the typical 22LR uses. They use speeds circa between Herco-BlueDot. ... felix

theperfessor
08-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I use 6.7 to 7.0 grs of Blue Dot behind the Lee 125 RF or the Lyman 358480 (about 135 grs) made from AC WW and sized to .358 in my Hi-Power. It eats them right up, no leading or feeding problems, etc. Blue Dot is the best 9mm powder I've tried so far. Haven't run them over a chrony.

mdi
08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, I don't have a 9mm, but I do have BlueDot. Hmmm, mebby a nine is in my future...8-)

Stork
08-18-2010, 04:01 PM
If shot out of a "Match Grade" pistol. The 9mm is capable of sub 1" groups at 50 yards as is evidenced by the custom M9's that our Military shooting teams field at Camp Perry every year. Some of the complaints I hear about the m9's are that they are difficult to get to shoot that well (and still maintain the profile), and they are only good for 20,000 rounds or less before having to be sent back for refitting.

One of the gentlemen I shoot Bullseye with shot with the Army Marksmanship team and vastly preferred the 1911's in 45.

FWIW

fecmech
08-19-2010, 04:15 PM
I've always thought of BD as a great 9MM powder with cast bullets. You almost can't get an overpressure with it because you run out of room in the case before that happens and you can get high velocities to boot. There is only one powder that I found more accurate with cast in the 9mm than BD and that is Hogdon Longshot and that was not by much. Both BD and LS work great with 120-150 gr 9MM bullets.

HeavyMetal
08-20-2010, 12:33 AM
I put a six inch Bar-Sto barrel in my Taurus PT 99 years ago.

With the Lee 125-2R boolit lubed with Carnuba Red sized 356 winchester small pistol primer and 8 grains of Bluedot I can get an "average" velocity of 1450 FPS over 10 rounds.

This is a "Max" book load and really wakes up a 9mm pistol but you gotta have the barrel to burn this stuff or your just pouring the power out the end of it!

This load is a diffinate conversation starter at any public range!

82nd airborne
08-20-2010, 09:42 AM
One thing about m9's, they are easy to hit with the first time you pick one up. I think that is because it is a nine in a gun that would fit 45. If im going to carry something that size, itll have a bigger hole. As far as going out shooting for fun all day, they are pretty hard to beat.

Recluse
08-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Blue Dot is the best 9mm powder I've tried so far. Haven't run them over a chrony.

Haven't tried Blue Dot for my 9mm. Since I'm cursed when it comes to 9mm and lead boolits, I'm going to head out to the shop right now and try some Blue Dot loads.

When it comes to jacketed bullets, the best powder I've found is AA#5--I get better than factory accuracy using it.

:coffee:

theperfessor
08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Sounds like I need to try some AA5 if I ever use jacketed in 9mm again!