PDA

View Full Version : NRA Centennial 1894 MUSKET

BIG BEAR
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
:bigsmyl2:Picked up a brand new Winchester NRA 1871-1971 model 1894 Full wood /26"barrel Musket in .30WCF. 4 boxes of shells for UNDER $325. Came with the box But it was not worth keeping.(the Box). Installed a Williams FP-94-36 Peep sight. what a great combo. 2.5" 3shot group at 100yards. and i,m half blind(so my wife says.):oops: anyone else out there have one of these????? Black Bear opens first week september. Guess what i<ll take my first one with!![smilie=p: No i do not feel guilty with STEALING such a prize!!!!!!! a friend who bought the BERETTA SILVER HALK double barrel 12 SHOULD. I would give details,but would be branded a liar. Good things Do happen to Good people. :redneck: BIG BEAR (glenn)

excess650
08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Congratulations on your find![smilie=w: I knew guys with Canadian Centennials that shot them and loved them, but I can't say that I ever saw anyone shooting one of the muskets. I have a Winchester Musket, but mine is a highwall .22.

Are ya gonna shoot cast?

BIG BEAR
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
HI EXCESS650 Yes, but will have to go over to CABALAS to purchase a mold. tried some cast projectiles that i shoot in my .303 brits. (.312) and my.30-06(.309) but the ogive is too far forward and the top band ends up INSIDE the neck. Have lots of lead that i use for my .B.P. smokepoles. GLENN B.B.

pietro
08-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I've owned/hunted with it's brother-in-arms for almost 10 years, the 1871-1971 NRA Centennial .30-30 Rifle - which is a Model 64 pattern.

The only thing I would caution you on, is to be leary of both the chemicals used, and the sharp-edged tools (like screwdrivers, etc) on the black chromed receiver - as it can react to some chemicals and chip out around some edges, screwholes in particular.

358wcf
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes, you have acquired a beauty! Very few of these still exist outside of "collections", and just deserve to be shot, what with that lovely looooong barrel- Over the years I've lusted for this particular model, found a few, and had 2 deals fall through when I couldn't get the rest of the bucks lined up--:sad: As you just did, I found a new, in the box musket last year (I can't compare with your fantastic deal!!!), brought it home, mounted like you a new Williams FP-TK sight, and off to the range we went. To date, I've put nothing but lead down the tube, mostly 311041 and 311291 Lymans, over a mild 10.0gr Unique- what a mild, pleasant plinking load that is! Like you, I hope to get the musket out hunting deer and pigs, but the Unique load is perfect for small game.
Don't you just love that beautiful long barrel and full forestock? A military look, for sure-- much more functional than a 20" carbine-
Great find, friend! Enjoy your beauty, and share your story with us all!!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Piedmont
08-20-2010, 01:50 AM
I have one of these. Bought it for the long barrel and ladder sight as much as anything. The barrel was very rough with tool marks. I fire lapped it with cast and set to cast load development. After many 100 yard ten shot groups in the 8-10 inch range I knew something was drastically wrong.

Beagle had posted some stuff on mag tube pressure and with that information I pulled the forend, clipped the tube spring, and found something interesting under that wood. On this model there is a threaded cap with a set screw that sets the length underneath. Mine was wedged solidly, so when it heated it walked. I reset the length with a little play and reassembled. Those two changes reduced two previously tested loads to right around 4" at 100 yards. It got put away and I havn't shot it in years.