PDA

View Full Version : 475 linebaugh

woodpile
08-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I just acquired a 475 linebaugh fredom arms revlover. I was looking for a mold in the 350 to 400 grain range fro deer hunting loaded to aroung 900FPS. What have you guys used for a mold before. Thanks for your time.

white eagle
08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
can't tell ya what mold but that cartridge is on my must have list
congrats on the score :-)

skruske
08-17-2010, 06:12 PM
I have a pal in MT who has a Ruger in .475 & I know he casts his own. I'll pass this thread along to him, perhaps he can point you in the desired direction.

He made me fire his revolver....all 5 rounds. The amazing thing is, I wasn't bleeding anywhere when I was done.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/ScottKruske475LinebaughWPII.jpg

RobS
08-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Lee makes two pretty decent molds that works well for many.

Midway link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=21064&categoryString=9315***685***8657***9247***&brandId=1262

BigboreShooter
08-17-2010, 07:17 PM
The 400gr lee won't work in the Freedom Arms 83. The nose is to long for the cylinder. You have to keep the the crimp groove to the nose of the bullet about .360'' BRP has a350gr-pb that will work. Also you might contact Veral Smith for a LBT style bullet.Just let him know its for FA 83.

BigBoreShooter

44man
08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
The 400gr lee won't work in the Freedom Arms 83. The nose is to long for the cylinder. You have to keep the the crimp groove to the nose of the bullet about .360'' BRP has a350gr-pb that will work. Also you might contact Veral Smith for a LBT style bullet.Just let him know its for FA 83.

BigBoreShooter
I fit the Lee 400 in the 83 by just crimping in the front groove. It IS close to the end but worked OK.

woodpile
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Tjhat 325 lee looks like it might be the way to go. I have a little time before I pick it up from layaway so I might check a couple of gun shows coming up I might get lucky. I do have another question though. Is it ok to run a gas check bullet without the gas check?

RobS
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Some have had decent success with this. I've done it with the Lee 452-300-RF and it shot ok while running at the low and middle road load data. The increased accuracy with the GC was apparent on paper vs not running the GC say 3" 30 yrd groups without and 1.5-2" with GC. I don't know specifically on the design you are looking at but would imagine it to be similar.

Jbar4Ranch
08-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I've used the Lee 400 grainer with good results in the Ben Forkin Ruger that Scott is shooting in the above picture. The advantage to this bullet is it has two crimp grooves, and I can use the same bullet with the same load in my .480 Ruger by crimping in the lower groove, which gives me the same case capacity as the .475 case. There isn't much room left at the end of the SRH's cylinder, but it works.

A gas check bullet can be used without a gas check, but your accuracy is likely to suffer.

Tom W.
08-17-2010, 11:55 PM
If RCBS still makes it there's a 400 gr. SWC PB available. A big chunk of lead to be sure.. and it did o.k. from my .480 Ruger...

Lloyd Smale
08-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Like was said the lee 400 wont work. At least it wont work at higher velocitys as it will jump crimp if not crimped in the grove . It may do fine though crimped on the side of the bullet at lower velocitys. My favorite 475 mold is a ballistic cast 420 lfngc. It has a shorter nose that is kind of a cross between a lfn and wfn. It shoots real well in all of my 475s. Another good one is the balllistic cast 360 wfnpb. Its a good shooting bullet but needs a bit more velocity to get accuracy with. At 1500 fps out of my custom marlin 94 it will shoot into one hole at 50 yards and whacks the **** out of game.

44man
08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Like was said the lee 400 wont work. At least it wont work at higher velocitys as it will jump crimp if not crimped in the grove . It may do fine though crimped on the side of the bullet at lower velocitys. My favorite 475 mold is a ballistic cast 420 lfngc. It has a shorter nose that is kind of a cross between a lfn and wfn. It shoots real well in all of my 475s. Another good one is the balllistic cast 360 wfnpb. Its a good shooting bullet but needs a bit more velocity to get accuracy with. At 1500 fps out of my custom marlin 94 it will shoot into one hole at 50 yards and whacks the **** out of game.
I bet that 94 feels like a 45-70 too! [smilie=l:
I made the mistake of getting the rear bag back too far with my Marlin .44 and the bottom of the butt pinched my skin (too much fat ya know) against the bag. Funny how a little tiny round can pinch.

Lloyd Smale
08-18-2010, 11:08 AM
with the 350s at 1500 its not to bad. Not much differnt then a heavy bullet 44 mag load. Push 420s to that same speed and it isnt terrible but you know you shot something!

BigboreShooter
08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Woodpile
I've played with the Lee 325gc a little bit. Just a couple loads. It shot quite well. I think it would be a fine deer bullet!!
My mould was of such poor qualtiy, it was frustrating to use.

BigBoreShooter

44man
08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Babore sent me some trial boolits and one was a 325 Lee. We shot it from my friends Freedom and it did 3/4" at 50 yards.
My BFR does not like light boolits less then 400 because of the faster twist but it shot OK.
I would not kick that boolit out if you get a decent mold.
Both of the Lee boolits shoot good but you can see a difference between the two guns with the Freedom groups opening at 400 and up and the BFR opening from 400 down.
Either way, the .475 is a very easy caliber to work with.
I had all kinds of Keith style boolits too and never made any headway with them no matter what the weight. Good enough for deer to 50-60 yards while the Lee is good to over 100 and can hit small targets to 200.
I was concerned with the PB when I bought the mold, thinking the caliber should have a GC. I just water drop WW's and it works just great.
I was also worried about the tiny crimp groove but never had a boolit pull in either gun by keeping case tension right. Do not try to over crimp, just roll into the groove.
If you have pull issues your expander is too large and too long. A portion of the boolit should seat into brass that has not been expanded so the boolit needs to be hard enough. This caliber is no place to fool with soft lead. It needs NO expansion for anything you shoot. Deer are socked silly with hard boolits. It is my all time favorite hunting caliber.
Don't look for max velocity, find the accuracy point only. The .475 does not need speed.
This is my favorite fun test. We set up 14, gallon water jugs and shot my 420 gr, 80% meplat at them at 1329 fps. 4 blew sky high with water going about 20-30 feet up, 2 more jugs split and the boolit went all the way through all 14 jugs.

woodpile
08-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. It is a big help.

tek4260
08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Are any of you having trouble with leading with the 400gr Lee? I noticed some lead near the end of the barrel on my BFR 475 and thought it might be from the tiny lube grooves. Or it could be from the fact that I seated my test rounds long and had to pull them slightly and reseat which resulted in some shaving. The load is 26.0gr of H-110 and the lube is the Lyman Super Moly.

Thanks

Thomas

44man
08-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Are any of you having trouble with leading with the 400gr Lee? I noticed some lead near the end of the barrel on my BFR 475 and thought it might be from the tiny lube grooves. Or it could be from the fact that I seated my test rounds long and had to pull them slightly and reseat which resulted in some shaving. The load is 26.0gr of H-110 and the lube is the Lyman Super Moly.

Thanks

Thomas
I use Felix and Carnauba Red with no leading. Never had luck with Lyman lube.
I use 26.5 gr of 296 with the Lee and never get leading.
Too much work with long boolits, just set the seater deeper and reseat and crimp. Don't bother pulling them first.

tek4260
08-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I had to pull them slightly to get the crimp to release as I had already crimped them. I should have completely pulled them and reflared the cases. I was too lazy to go downstairs and open the safe and check. Besides that BFR is huge, surely the cylinder is long enough...... well now I know it's not. Rookie mistake. [smilie=1:

Lloyd Smale
08-20-2010, 06:41 AM
it doesnt carry alot of lube but its never given me trouble with leading but then i dont recall ever having any leading problems with the 475

Thanks

Thomas

Changeling
08-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Not knocking, anything!! But from the smoke trail and recoil position. He is either shooting at something in a very high tree or the recoil has a hold of him.
Could also be a first attempt with such a powerful hand gun, thats my bet!

44man
08-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Not knocking, anything!! But from the smoke trail and recoil position. He is either shooting at something in a very high tree or the recoil has a hold of him.
Could also be a first attempt with such a powerful hand gun, thats my bet!
I laughed too! Didn't want to say anything though. :kidding:
My barrel only rises about 1/4 that high. A lighter gun can reach half.
That is a sure way to over shoot a target or deer.
The .475 is really not that bad but I have seen other big boomers where the thing can crack your head and seen videos where the barrels were alongside the guy's ear, how he controlled where the gun would recoil and miss his head is beyond me.
I commented on other sites about guys wanting a 4", .500 for bear protection---yeah sure, try to hit anything that is charging you.
There is a point with gun weight and caliber size where you need to quit and back up or the bears will be picking their teeth! :wink:
Now for the truth about the picture. I have seen guys let the gun do that with a .44 because it makes a great picture. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Tom W.
08-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Yup, and it makes the novice that wanted to shoot the thing say "Geeez!"

tek4260
08-22-2010, 02:13 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_0267.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_0265.jpg

The 500 Smiff isn't nearly as bad recoil wise as many think. Dad has one of the short ones, around 4" or so, and the recoil isn't as bad as some of my 45's. It does lack the nice roll of a SA and is more of a straight back push. Here are some of Ranger Rick's 700gr boolits. Beside a loaded 44 mag in the first pic, and between a 38 and a 300gr cast 44 in the second.

What it does have is noise and muzzle blast. Good ear muffins and not to be shot beside anything that will bounce the noise back such as a wall.

Tom W.
08-22-2010, 02:19 AM
O.K. You win. That's a massive boolit!

44man
08-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Kill a deer by dropping one out of your pocket! [smilie=w:
Carry two and you can't climb the ladder!

Tom W.
08-22-2010, 02:34 PM
The loaded .44 boolit looks suspiciously like a Lee 240 grain boolit...

skruske
08-23-2010, 07:14 AM
It seems, as a noob here, I'll have to step in and defend my honor. ;)

As I recall I was shooting that Ruger .475 Linbaugh at 100yds into a high berm. The target was a 24"x36" steel buffalo that was placed half way up the berm.

My pal Jbar4ranch likes to load them big bores a bit on the hot side.

Here's a vid of his 4" 500 Smith. It speaks for itself.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/?action=view&current=ca1024f1.mp4

That 700gr boolit & load not long produces vertical recoil, it also puts counter rotational torque again the rifling & twists the gun on the way up.

Any questions? :lol:

Markbo
08-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Just FWIW. I have a custom shop BFR is .475 and it will not shoot the lighter bullets worth a darn. Not sure about your FA, but mine needs 400-420gr slugs to shoot worth a darn. And no such thing as 'target loads'. Won't shoot them either. Gotta have a little velocity behind them to shoot well.

As for the .500 S&W... mine remains the only handgun in my 40+ years of shooting that physically bruised my hand. Admittedly it was with some warm 500gr loads, but that S&W is not well designed for such power. I would much rather shoot any SA type gun with anything above a .44 mag. The .460 Performance shop model is much nicer, though it sounds like a mortar going off. [smilie=w:

ohnomrbillk
08-30-2010, 08:30 PM
out of my custom marlin 94 it will shoot into one hole at 50 yards and whacks the **** out of game.

Lloyd, who built your custom marlin?

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2010, 07:58 AM
Rob Applegate built it. He is a hell of a custom gun builder and used to make some great molds too. Dont ask him though as he said it was a totaly pain in the but to build and he is retired and doesnt want to do much of anything with guns anymore. He did it for me mostly as a favor for a friend. I wasnt around back in the heyday of his gun building and just wanted something he did. If you dont know Rob he is one of the most knowelgable man on the planet when it comes to cast bullets and the technical aspects of it and gun building.

alamogunr
08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't know anything about the FA in .475L but I have a Linebaugh .475. When I was looking for molds, I bought a 420 gr. from Veral Smith that had a short nose specifically for FA revolvers. Since I was ordering from his sale list of a year or so ago and I knew I wouldn't be shooting many of these heavy slugs and it was specified to drop in the size I needed, I went ahead and ordered it. I think the nose to crimp groove is specified to be .360 or something like that. I don't have any on hand and the dim. that he wrote on the mold has burned off. I should have written it down for reference but didn't.

John
W.TN

freedom475
08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
I have a 400gr. LBT that was made just for the Freedom arms that I don't us much....I have several moulds for it so I really don't need this one.

If you want it PM me.

I had the RCBS SWC and it won't work in the FA..it is too long.