PDA

View Full Version : Pan lubing with Felix lube

drmaynard3235
09-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Does anyone pan lube with FWFL? Are their any special considerations ?
Thanks
Pres

abunaitoo
09-03-2006, 04:16 AM
I've been using Lar45 50/50-carnuba mix to pan lube. I mix it so it's not so soft and sticky. Shoots great, no leading at all.
Shot it in my M1 Garand with H4895 powder. No leading and very accurate.:-D

Maineboy
09-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Does anyone pan lube with FWFL? Are their any special considerations ?
Thanks
Pres
I have some of the big batch FWFL and have a portion that I use for pan lubing. I stiffened that portion up by melting in a bit of paraffin wax.

drmaynard3235
09-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Maineboy

The lube I have is also from the big batch. When the lube cools I get a marbling effect, the lube shrinks and the marbling looks like snow. Where the marbling surrounds a bullet the bullet pushes out a big chunk. Bullets in normal portions of the lube push out normal.
What temp do you melt your FWFL at?

Pres

Maineboy
09-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Whenever I lube a new batch of boolits, I only heat the lube enough to turn it liquid, then put the boolits in the pan. If I'm lubing the same or smaller caliber boolits than the time before, I fill the voids with boolits before melting the lube. It sounds like your lube has somehow separated. I haven't seen that with mine, although mine does shrink some when it hardens. I'm sure Felix or some of the other lubemasters on the board can help you get your lube straightened out.

Calamity Jake
09-03-2006, 09:40 PM
drmaynard3235, don't get the lube so cold, I pan lubed about 250 oversize 30 cal's last week with my original formula FL, I put mine in the fridge just long enough for the pan bottom to be cool to the touch, then cookie cutter them out with a fired case for the caliber with the head removed.

44man
09-03-2006, 10:02 PM
The addition of the soap makes Felix hard to melt and it can burn first. Only use a double boiler. Felix also doesn't like to be squeezed under pressure in the lube sizer, it seems to change composition but seems to shoot OK. My best luck with it and most lubes is to rub it into the grooves by hand. Not handy when you have 500 to 1000 boolits to lube!
The best thing is a cake cutter when the lube is set, but don't stick the pan in the fridge or freezer.

drmaynard3235
09-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Calamity Jake
I put the lube in the fridge the first time. Left it in too long the lube separated from the bullets as well as the pan. Once FWFL is in the pan it does not want to leave. My bullets are tapered so a cookie cutter is not an option.

44man
I use a small toaster oven which allows a low tem setting to control the melting temp.
Works well for my other lubes. I have tried putting the bullets, with a pile of small lube pieces, in the pan then bringing it up to melting temp them removing and allowing to air cool. Next I placed bullets in the holes bringing to melt then turning off heat and allowing it to cool slowly in the oven. Last time, I melted the lube in the oven and the bullets and pan on the top of the oven warming up then poured the lube into pan, and let air cool. The temp range was between 150 and 200 degrees.
Because of the condition of the bullets after being pushed out I ended up hand lubing them anyway.

Pres

drinks
09-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I have used FWFL, NRA , Lar's red, LBT soft blue, some old stock from Hornady and an unknown very hard blue lube and all worked by just heating the lube to just melt in a small shallow can, turn down the thermostat to keep it liquid, place a few bullets in the lube, watch the lube crawl up the bullet as the bullet heats up, then use forceps and remove the bullets and place on an aluminum plate.
Let cool a few minutes. pop off the plate and they are ready to load.

drmaynard3235
09-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Drinks

I had forgotten about that method.

The concern I have is not so much about method but why is the FWFL
marbleizing. Since the original brick of lube showed no marbling when
I cut it I must have done something in my first attempt to pan lube with
it. What do I do to get rid of the marbleizing?

Pres

waksupi
09-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Drinks

I had forgotten about that method.

The concern I have is not so much about method but why is the FWFL
marbleizing. Since the original brick of lube showed no marbling when
I cut it I must have done something in my first attempt to pan lube with
it. What do I do to get rid of the marbleizing?

Pres

Pres, I think I would just remelt the batch, if it really bothers you. I believe Felix said, the more it is melted, the more uniform it becomes in mixture. I know the stuff that leaks from my lubrisizer is a different color, from when it goes in. Don't know why, and don't care. It works.