PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on Midway

NSP64
08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
I ordered something from them on 8/13. Pick shipping. Lets see..... UPS basic says will be delivered 8/16. Great. Following tracking number... Says'delivered to post office' *** .. I call midway .
UPS basic is just that take it NEAR where you live. Drop it at post office. If that isn't a bunch of cr*p. Won't be using UPS again. They had to drive 30 miles past my town to deliver it to the post office. I could have had the USPS deliver it by 8/18 cheaper. Who knows when I'll see it.
So don't go for the UPS basic option if ordering anything.
I haven't been real happy with UPS lately. Ordered some flowers to be delivered on someones birthday from Pro-Flowers. They shipped them UPS and the truck broke down. Missed the birthday. In todays ecconomy you think companies would want business not PI** PEOPLE OFF.
Hope everyone is having a good day:drinks:

Doby45
08-16-2010, 04:13 PM
USPS Priority Mail, can't be beat. Sorry to hear about UPS givin you the shaft.

NSP64
08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Ya. UPS basic says delivered 8/16
That meant delivered to a post office 8/16.

Doby45
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Some guy in another section had made mention that he missed the UPS guy for his new Star and then had to go to the PO on Monday. Must be the same thing UPS basic.

koehn,jim
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Guys if you check you will find that UPS delivers it to the post office and they deliver it to you you do not have to go to the post office to get it. It is the basic service, you can, still have Ups deliver it do you directly its called UPS ground instead of basic. Basic is a bit cheaper than ground .

DIRT Farmer
08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Yep my wifes car is full of UPS and FEDX when she leaves the Post office.

NSP64
08-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Say I order something today.
Type in zip code. gives shipping choices.
UPS basic $6.86 should arrive by 8/18
usps first class $4.10 should arrive by 8/20

based on info listed you would pay $2.76 more to get it two days earlier, BUT
arrive at the post office some where near you by 8/16 is what it means.
So I'm saying that is deceptive.
I would have shipped it USPS had I known this.

Midway is in Missouri(west of me) UPS took the package 30 miles past me to the east and dropped it off at the post office.
They could have picked it up and dropped it at the PO in Columbia MO or St Louis MO and I probably would have gotten it earlier.
I will post when I do get it.

Doby45
08-16-2010, 04:45 PM
What is the price for 2-3Day Priority Mail? It is normally like $2 more and from MO to GA I sometimes get my junk in a literal 2 days.:shock:

Dillon
08-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Its kinda funny that was my star at the post office and I wasnt even able to get it today. but the reason they delivered it to the PO that time was that I wasnt there to sign for it when they delivered it to me and they left a note on my door saying sorry we missed you.
but I have used ups basic from midway before and they have always delivered it right to my door not sure why its different with you. They probably just wanted to make your day a little easier by making you drive :kidding:

Ole
08-16-2010, 05:30 PM
So wha'd ya get? I mean wha'd ya order? [smilie=1:

mike in co
08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
yes ..i know nothing about the brown truck deliverying anywhere but my address....are you out in the sticks ??

midway is on an on ramp on I70.....denver is on I70.....i order on sunday get it tuesday....ups.
i can get it tues am if i use my business address(across the street).

small stuff i pick between 1st class and priority...almost the same del date.

ilcop22
08-16-2010, 06:19 PM
UPS Basic is a monster in and of itself. The way they cut costs is by contracting final delivery to the home via USPS. Interestingly enough, Amazon has begun contracting a new up-and-coming delivery company (in my area, anyway) called Ensenda. Fastest shipping I've seen to date - They even delivered on a Sunday!

Changeling
08-16-2010, 06:29 PM
All companies are doing anything they can to cut overhead to as small a figure as they can possibly get away with, that brings more money down to there bottom line. Whether it inconveniences the customer is totally inconsequential unless he/she starts to squeal, then they will back off! But ONLY if doesn't cut into into there profit margin. This is the "FAD" thing to do in this era for businesses,because it works for them, for a relatively short time.

The companies that still operate on a customer friendly level with great products like "RCBS" are a dying breed right now until Americans wake the hell up and start figuring things out, like witch companies are on the side of the consumer and the economy.
This will happen not to far down the road hopefully or maybe not, depends on how long it takes consumers and Yuppies to find out that Papa Obama is not there to calm there fears/pay there loans/kiss there ass and tell them everything will be alright!
Start paying attention to WHERE you spend your money, now that gets attention!

Get someone to explain "Progressive Pricing" to you, it's enormous but I bet none of you have probably ever heard anything about it. Maybe you should also ask WHY you haven't heard anything about it!!!!!!

NSP64
08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
they didnt deliver it anywhere near where I live. I live 1 mile from town center,still in town. They took it to the town that is four towns over. I won't be picking them again. Maybe they will see if their bottom line starts shrinking from poor customer service.

odoh
08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
It was my understanding that UPS delivers it to the servicing PO for that zip code and apparently yours is 30 miles (60mile RT? Like wow!) away? Hard to believe!

Perhaps the UPS guy knew this and tried to give you the courtesy of dropping it off which, if so, he's not supposed to do but would need some sort of backup doc/record to show why it didn't get to its official/designated USPS destination? Just supposing here as everything has a reason ~ and so far, its unclear.

Personally, UPS Basic works good for me as its cheaper and there is no big brown step van rolling into our yard alerting my wife that I've spent money again ! ! ! The mail lady puts it in the mailbox on the road and I sneak it into the house. Impossible w/big brown tooting his horn.

Plus, UPS hires clucks here. Some yrs back I started a Mad at UPS (MAUPS) movement of other disgruntled UPS clients (long stories but they forget that they work for us, its our $ and they act like we work for them). We had asperations of getting >150 strong and even PERHAPS getting an 8min slot on Oprah. As it turns out, competiters in the delivery business like DHL, FedEx and some USPS initiatives came into our area getting UPS attn and they streightened up their act ~ but I still avoid them.

08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Perhaps the title should be "Heads up on UPS Basic", not Midway.

This has been very informative, however.

Fly-guy
08-16-2010, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=Dillon;973843]Its kinda funny that was my star at the post office and I wasnt even able to get it today. but the reason they delivered it to the PO that time was that I wasnt there to sign for it when they delivered it to me and they left a note on my door saying sorry we missed you.

Dillon, leave a signed note on your door asking them to leave your shipment. That has been working for fed-x here anyway.

I have been ordering from graf & sons lately. They charge 4.95 per order and if one of the items is out of stock, they ship the instock immediately and when the out of stock item comes in, they ship it without a second shipping charge. :):):):)

Dillon
08-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Sounds like its worth a shot! I will try that the next time I order!

uncle joe
08-16-2010, 11:10 PM
here you don't even have to leave a note. I ordered a stag arms upper the other day and ups guy left it on the front porch. Glad i live in a relatively crime free area.

NSP64
08-16-2010, 11:13 PM
The reason I stated Midway was because if you go there and put something in your shopping cart then do a quote on shipping it lists your options and prices. Now if you scroll down in the 'quote box' it will give a more detailed discription of the type of shipping. There is no detailed discription for UPS basic. Not very straight forward with their advertising. Like stated above if I had known UPS basic meant they would drop it at a post office within 100miles of my home for the USPS to finish the job, I would have chose USPS for the whole trip at $2.60 cheaper to begin with.

If I sold something to someone here on this board and offered to ship it two ways, and that customer paid $2.50 more for a stated delivery date 2 days faster, Then told them that the delivery date was for me to take it to the post office. Who wouldn't be mad?

smoked turkey
08-16-2010, 11:27 PM
When this happened to me I called Midway and complained. I was told by Midway basically what has been stated in the above posts. She also said you don't have to select UPSbasic. My point here is I am sure Midway has had plenty of negative feedback on this issue. Probably enough for them to fix the problem if they cared. I think part of the problem is they have gotten so stinkin big that they are getting not only a little pricey on some things but a little "big feeling" too. When it is all said and done they have a good selection with usually good shipping time. I have tried to order from some others but the bottom line usually goes in Midway's favor by just a little bit. They do have one of the best web sites going. Just my 2 cents.

NSP64
08-16-2010, 11:42 PM
When this happened to me I called Midway and complained. I was told by Midway basically what has been stated in the above posts. She also said you don't have to select UPSbasic. My point here is I am sure Midway has had plenty of negative feedback on this issue. Probably enough for them to fix the problem if they cared. I think part of the problem is they have gotten so stinkin big that they are getting not only a little pricey on some things but a little "big feeling" too. When it is all said and done they have a good selection with usually good shipping time. I have tried to order from some others but the bottom line usually goes in Midway's favor by just a little bit. They do have one of the best web sites going. Just my 2 cents.

I agree.
Im ready to see if any other companies would like some business. After all she was right"we don't have to select midway"

geargnasher
08-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Perhaps the title should be "Heads up on UPS Basic", not Midway.

This has been very informative, however.

Agreed!

I made the same mistake (happened to be with a MidwayUSA order) by using the UPS Basic option to save four bucks, ended up taking an extra three days vs. UPS ground. I pretty much figured out what the difference between "ground" and Basic" was when my tracking info said "delivered to post office". UPS figures that the mail runs routes regardless, so why burn the gas from the final zip to the addy? Sounds like a win-win contract for both of them. Unfortunately, the poor customer is left waiting while the two slowest and least competent (union-run) delivery agencies in the universe finally manage to get the package to its destination.

Like most things, one must inform themselves, I didn't blame Midway for me not educating myself on what "basic" meant before choosing it.

Gear

mike in co
08-17-2010, 01:39 AM
I agree.
Im ready to see if any other companies would like some business. After all she was right"we don't have to select midway"

and what are you going to do when the new company offers ups shipping ???

me thinks you guys need to see this from the other side...midway is not in the position to tell ups how to run ups......if it is ups's policy to subcontact delivery...take it up with ups....

and as i pointed out..it must be very select areas...cause it aint happening in the denver metro area.

mike in co

9.3X62AL
08-17-2010, 01:54 AM
It's happening here, too (Ridgecrest, CA). As long as the stuff arrives in a reasonable time-line and in good condition, I'm not going to go postal over it. :)

odoh
08-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Midway has always listed choices. USPS told me, its a win on their part because they have minimal involvement as the UPS driver shows up during sort for the day and it becomes part of the outgoing delivery on the carriers truck. They're gonna stop to drop junkmail in my mailbox, why not a package and get additional revenue? I've seen semi truck cargo trailers on RR flatcars for yrs. Sub contracting isn't new.

UPS Basic is economical, a day or two longer ~ tracking isn't as precise as other reg UPS Grnd but adequate so far. Choices are offered at time of order and if faster service is needed, options are offered as part of purchasing process.

Like eating sushi for the first time. Its new/different and perhaps even disliked on some level. After a fewtimes, its pretty good. I've heard the same w/beer ~ Its just another change and I hear we just adore change.

madsenshooter
08-17-2010, 05:11 AM
It's my fault, I bellyached to Midway about the lack of shipping options once, next time I went to their site, there was a myriad of options.

nicholst55
08-17-2010, 06:03 AM
UPS used to routinely leave C&R rifles shipped 'adult signature required' leaning against my front door, in plain sight. I was working 12+ hour days at the time, frequently returning home close to midnight. Fortunately, none were ever stolen.

When I complained, I was assured that an adult had signed for them! When I countered that the only person, let alone adult, at the scene when they were delivered was the UPS driver, they got very defensive. After that I had to drive 30 miles each way to the UPS terminal to sign for them, so I started having them shipped to a brick-and-mortar FFL, and paying him $20 for the transfer. The cost was about a wash with me driving 60 miles to pick them up, and I had some peace of mind.

IMHO, UPS could fold up and the only downside would be that a bunch of thieves would be out on the street on foot, rather than driving BBTs.

sljacob
08-17-2010, 08:33 AM
i wish I had known this last week, I just ordered from midway friday and used ups basic because it was the cheapest.

I will post when the shipment arrives weather or not it came to my door or post office

white eagle
08-17-2010, 09:27 AM
guess you won't us that option again huh ?

blackthorn
08-17-2010, 09:37 AM
If you all think UPS is bad in the states---you should live outside the US and have the missfortune to have a seller ship you something by UPS! UPS is the biggest, sleazyist bunch of legal thieves around (IMHO) bar none! My mistake was in not being aware and I wound up paying almost as much as the ordered item in shipping disguised under the heading of customs "clearence" fees! I will never buy another item from any company unless they can garentee it will NOT be shipped to me using UPS!

XWrench3
08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
this sounds like every other business in the country for the last 15 years. i swear the business schools only know how to teach one thing. money, money, money. to heck with everything, and everyone. the only thing that matters is how many coins they can shove into the bank account at the end of the day. people, are the absoloute furthest thing from their minds. why in the world would they actually care about customer service, or making people happy, or employeees, or any other aspect of the human nature. they are big business. as such, they only need one thing. to pay the shareholders a few dimes and nickles so they dont scream and shout at the next board meeting. the only problem with this thinking, is that eventually, a company is going to come along that actually does care about the human side of the business. and slowly eat at the big businesses profits. dont get me wrong, i have NOTHING against making money. not at all. that is what made the USA a great place. but, there HAS to be a human side to business. after all, they aint shipping packages to the chipmunks! and if you do not have any employees, nothing much is going to happen either. i just get so sick of ceo's forgetting about, or thinking that people are just a pia that it is sickening. and cutting corners is not the only soloutin. great value and service is what makes a business flourish to begin with. if that stays, then the company grows. when service and value go away, people start looking for it elsewhere.

odoh
08-17-2010, 09:45 AM
If you all think UPS is bad in the states---you should live outside the US and have the missfortune to have a seller ship you something by UPS! UPS is the biggest, sleazyist bunch of legal thieves around (IMHO) bar none! My mistake was in not being aware and I wound up paying almost as much as the ordered item in shipping disguised under the heading of customs "clearence" fees! I will never buy another item from any company unless they can garentee it will NOT be shipped to me using UPS!

Hear hear (or is it here here?), I used to bend over backwards not just w/midway but every shipper trying to avoid using UPS period and many seem to have a contract w/the vendor to be their exclusive shipper. I can't imagine what consideration as it is our $ paying for the shipping but several were/are very tight w/UPS

Shooter6br
08-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I use anyone but UPS if i can. They lost a pair of sunglasses.i filed a claim. They just blew it off. USPS prioity or Fed ex is better

Doby45
08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
USPS Priority mail. Sadly there isn't anything better (for the cost) than the good ole gubment run mail system right now. For a while I was shipping electronic components that I made for the paintball industry through USPS Priority and I never had a problem with supplies, pick-up, delivery, speed of delivery or claims. I was shipping 20-30 Priority packages a day. It is absolutley insane how fast SOME of the packages get to their destination.

qajaq59
08-17-2010, 12:15 PM
I gave up on UPS a while back. I had three packages delivered to 2 different neighbors homes. And our address is on the front of the house in 8 inch numbers. By the way UPS doesn't have a complaint dept, and they don't call back if you call them with a problem. I'll stick with the PO and wait the extra day or two. I'm happier when my neighbors don't know what gun stuff I'm buying.

NYer
08-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm confused. Is this what you are talking about and do we all agree on the abbreviations?
UPS = United Parcel Service (brown shirts and brown trucks) Does not deliver to US Post offices.
USPS = United States Postal Service (the zip code people with drop boxes on corners (dating myself) – drops letters in the slot on your front door)

BD

mpmarty
08-17-2010, 01:00 PM
My problem is that the post office doesn't deliver where I live. I've got a PO box for mail delivery but for shipping address I use my physical address and if the post office gets involved the package gets returned to sender as undeliverable as addressed. Some online vendors won't accept a po box as a shipping address and then wind up sending stuff by USPS! :groner:

mdi
08-17-2010, 01:07 PM
I have read that UPS is murder on guns. On another forum I've read of SEVERAL instances where long guns shipped UPS arrive damaged/broken. Even with good packing they somehow manage to destroy it. I've gotten fishing rods, only 4'X3" package, bent double thanks to UPS.

Tom-ADC
08-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I remember selling something not to very long ago and took the package to UPS and because I was sending it to a Post Office Box they could not take the package, told me not allowed to deliver to post offices?
I can't recall a problem I've ever had with Midway USA.

Canuck Bob
08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
A word for Canadians. The USPS is far cheaper than the delivery outfits because they don't gouge on broker fees.

geargnasher
08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
I use Fedex where possible, they are a private, non-union company and they DO have a complaint dept.

I must say, however, that USPS has not failed me yet with delivery, except for the one time I had to read them the riot act (from their own Employee Handbook) for not delivering a 68 lb flat rate box to my mailbox.

Gear

qajaq59
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Considering what all of them charge to deliver things, they should bring them in, set them on the bench, and unwrap them for me. I think the shippers make more money when I buy from Midway or whoever, then the store does. And that added $25 for powder or prmers is just an outrageous ripoff. Ok, I've had my rant.

phaessler
08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
UPS Basic is a joke , even living on a rural delivery route, and UPS comes thru my street religiously everyday at 4pm, good thing my neighbors use QVC.
UPS is ok, have only ever had one thing damaged and had to send it back, a 1qt bottle of Hoppes #9. Cant speak to bad of them my dad retired out of there after 40 years, and our local driver does alot with the youth group in a local church, not to mention bagging items that could get wet, helping my wife bring them in if they are heavy, or making an out of the way delivery to my folks house if he sees its for me :)
FedEx has screwed up more birthday gifts, and urgent deliveries by requiring a signature on their card, you cant just leave a signed form stating what you are expecting and expect the delivery person to respect it and complete their mission. Not to mention the packages are hammered by the time they get here, and they dont deliver residential on Mondays here.
US Mail, all good here, our rural route driver goes the extra step in my book, and have yet to have an issue.
Just my opinion though, I do agree the HazMat fees are ridiculous, and they should better inform you of exactly what each shipping option means.
If its BIG freight, I cant say enough about R&L.......

NSP64
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Well it arrived today from the USPS. On the front is an UPS label that states
USPS deliver to: I guess that it was pretty quick. The USPS option from midway stated delivery would be 8/18 and UPS basic came today 8/17.

Reddog177
08-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't use UPS at all if I can avoid it! I quit years a go when they got too politically correct to handle guns for individuals. I live in the country and use Priority Mail, mostly, but it's getting awfully expensive! I ship guns through my local gun dealer/store. He charges me $40 per transaction! You can't win!
Dick

hansumtoad
08-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Graf & Sons. Free Shipping. They use FedEx. End of problem. I've done my last go round with UPS Basic and Midway.

Heavy lead
08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
I must be the only guy here that likes UPS, my driver knows where to leave stuff, knows I'm not home during the day and all is good. My USPS people are good too, don't complain at all when I get ingots in. FedEx and FedEx ground I always ship with because the office is close and it's easy in and out. I don't like when I receive though as they always leave a signature then leave it the next day, what a PITA. If I know someone is using FedEx, I ship it to where I work, that way I get it without delay.

alamogunr
08-17-2010, 09:41 PM
The first time I knew of UPS using USPS to deliver to final destination was last Christmas. Several things we ordered for gifts were delivered by the postman but had a UPS label on them(you can always identify that circular or square code). No delays.

I do need to relate something that happened several years ago. I sent a Glock 23(now known as a 1st Gen.) to their service department to have it checked out since I had purchased it used from an individual. When they returned it, the driver, who I knew very well, knew I would be at work and would not be able to sign for it. He also knew that my wife taught at the local elementary school, so he delivered it there. One of the employees in the office signed for the package and announce on the PA system that my wife had a package in the office. She sent a 2nd grader to the office to retrieve the package. In everyone's defense, nothing on the box indicated the contents and the Glock corporate name was not displayed. When I got home and told her what was in the package, she almost shot me on the spot. I guess she would have if she had known how to load it. Can you imagine the repercussions today if something like that happened?

I have mixed feelings about UPS. I know that they have dishonest employees but the driver that took the gun to school is as fine a man as I know. He is also a minister at a small rural church. It is difficult for me to paint everyone with the same brush.

John
W.TN

okksu
08-17-2010, 09:53 PM
My Midway "UPS Basic" order was just delivered to my door about an 1 1/2 hours ago,.....by UPS. Hmmmmm, was expecting to wait until at least until tommorrow's mail delivery. Other than leaving a box with my '03 sitting on my front porch one afternoon, I've got no complaints about UPS. I've called them a couple of different times and they've told me where to catch up to the truck in the neighborhood so I didn't have to wait and go to their facility the next day for pickup (I'm rarely home when they come by..)

a.squibload
08-18-2010, 01:21 AM
My main problem with UPS is that they leave items on my doorstep in plain view of the street.
I could have had a few motherboards, etc. for free if I was that kind of person, signature required, left it outside anyway.
I have quit using them except when ordering online from an outfit that uses only UPS.
I hate that but if the price is right I order it, and have them ship it to my wife's office.

Of course the USPS PO Box is a PITA, they have a lot of rules down there, and if you're lucky you can get your package
with only one 30-min wait in line to get something you signed the form for already.
The form says "We will re-deliver", don't count on it. I'm talking about non-insured stuff that WILL fit in the big lockers.
I've had a few talks with them, they are getting better lately.

odoh
08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
I usually monitor the tracking system and know when its out for delivery. If I know I'll not be home I put a note on the door giving them (driver) to sign on my behalf (FedEx). So far its been working but I'm usually home.

Cadillo
08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I remember selling something not to very long ago and took the package to UPS and because I was sending it to a Post Office Box they could not take the package, told me not allowed to deliver to post offices?
I can't recall a problem I've ever had with Midway USA.

I agree. I'm really lucky with regard to Midway and shipping by UPS. I live in South Texas, and it seems that Midway must be very near a shipping hub that has a straight shot to San Antonio, some fours hours north of me. Normally, if I order from Midway on Monday morning, I have my package by Thursday afternoon by UPS Ground. Yes, I normally get the goods from them in Three(3) work days.

Last week, I ordered some bore cleaner and targets early on Tuesday morning. It was delivered Thursday afternoon by UPS Ground. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

USPS is a differnt story. I avoid them like a social disease. I have lost boxes of gun parts, knives, and regular mail that could all be traced to the local Post Office, where it then just fell into a black hole. A couple of years ago, one of the blighters who worked there pled guilty to pilfering the mail, but it's still going on.

I once had some important documents sent by "Express Mail" from Houston, a six (6) hour drive from here. They took ten (10) days to arrive.

I've never lost anything with UPS, but I use UPS Ground.

AZ-Stew
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I bought some camera gear from a reputable outfit in NYC a few weeks ago. Put the order in on-line EARLY Thursday morning. Don't know why it took them until Friday, 11:00ish, to get it into the hands of UPS, but I had ordered three-day shipping and figured it would be delivered Monday or Tuesday. That's what I get for doing my own thinking.

It was transported west across Manhattan from the seller's warehouse to the UPS facility in NJ on Friday. Saturday they handled it again, leaving the computer tracking software to register "Departure Scan" Saturday evening. Nothing appeared on the tracking software until late Tuesday afternoon, whereupon it magically appeared in Albuquerque, shipped in from Dallas/Ft. Worth, without ever having arrived in D/FW. I called UPS and managed to connect to a human. The guy who answered the phone couldn't say much other than that he "understood my frustration". I got him to hook me up to a supervisor who had an IQ above 60, to whom I explained that when I ordered three day shipping for an order placed Thursday, I expected it to arrive Monday. Thursday, Friday, Monday. Comes out to three for me. In addition, I knew they handled it Saturday because I had the tracking info. Well, according to her, since they didn't get it until Friday, Thursday wouldn't count. I said, well then, you had it Friday, handled it Saturday, and Monday would STILL make three days. She told me that Friday didn't count, either, because that day was spent getting it to one of their facilities from the seller's warehouse. I replied that I lived in Arizona and that if I wanted to send something to the San Francisco area and sent it USPS Priority, it ALWAYS arrived the next day, even though the PO only guarantees 3-4 day service. I then told her that if I sent the same package UPS 3-day that they'd make ABSOLUTELY SURE it took three days to deliver it. I don't get it. Are they trying to make sure I get my three day's moneys worth, or are they charging me for storage and making sure I get my money's worth that way? The package finally arrived on Wednesday, having been ordered the previous Thursday, and having been shipped UPS 3-day.

I'm done with them. I could relate a couple more horror stories about them and photographic gear, but I'll let it go. I told their phone rep, but I don't expect to see any changes. I know why their trucks are brown. It matches their service.

Regards,

Stew

45-70 Chevroner
08-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Does Midway give you the option or do they just assume UPS basic is ok with you? If they ship it that way how do you find out where to pick it up? I just ordered some stuff from Midway and they did not ask how I wanted it shipped. I figured it would come by UPS to my door, which is they way I have always got my orders.

82nd airborne
08-20-2010, 01:01 AM
I always leave the ups basic setting on there and almost always get it within two days. the ups guy will give me my package if he sees me in town or on the road.

chris in va
08-20-2010, 02:13 AM
I just went through this thing myself, ordering from Midway. Tracking number verified it was delivered to my PO, so I just went down there and picked it up as I wanted to get casting with my new mold.

The counterperson said UPS has been doing this for about a year, but really ramping up as of late.

Interestingly, UPS was shipping from MO to Louisville (where I live), off to Lexington then "out for delivery" in Louisville the next day. Once I saw this time it was just delivered to my PO, it was no big deal to pick it up.

warf73
08-20-2010, 03:31 AM
This option must be for certain areas only.

I just bought stuff from midway today and look at shipping options and basic isn't there.

NSP64
08-20-2010, 06:02 AM
I think it is an option that pops up if your order fits criteria. I had ordered a Lyman outside neck turning set. Maybe if you by stuff that is too heavy or contains solvents(LLA) ups ground would then be the choice that pops up. IDK

BobinIL
08-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Same thing happened to me. I called Midway and complained also. The CS guy had a well rehersed response. They must be getting plenty of complaints. USPS Priority for me now too.

bigboredad
08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
this thread is hilarious. You pick a option that is the cheapest way to get your package yet you expect first rate service. and then you want to blame Midway for giving you a option that is a couple bucks cheaper. Why don't you take a little initiative and find out what the difference is in the methods of delivery they offer and basic hello it says basic it the cheapest way to ship what do you expect. Then we all have to sit around and blame all the mean terrible big companies cause they are trying to save money but the trend where you can sit around and blame everyone cause you are too lazy to educate yourself on different methods but you have plenty of time to call Midway and whine about it and plenty of time to come on here and whine about basic service. Why don't you all grow up quit blaming everyone else and act responsibly and I can guarantee if Midway took the basic option away everyone then would start crying cause they don't have a basic way to ship and would whine about how expensive it is to ship. Then come on here and start a thread how poor little you is being picked on. This is a great site and has tons of people to help each other out but threads like this are just a waste of space and time

jimmeyjack
08-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Amen!

ghh3rd
08-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I haven't had that problem with Midway but have lived "in the city". I'm in the country now, but still close enough to "city folk" that UPS comes down my street.

NSP64
08-20-2010, 06:57 PM
I did look into the shipping. In the 'check shipping cost' window that opens, they(midway) give explanations of what the different services are. EXCEPT UPS basic is not listed anywhere. I chose UPS basic based on it showed the fatest delivery date. They don't tell you that the delivery date is for UPS to deliver it to the post office. If you lived out in the sticks somewhere and usually get stuff delivered by UPS and have to go into town to get your mail, you may inadvertently pick UPS basic thinking it would be delivered to the house. So I started this thread so people here might be saved some time and hassle when ordering from Midway. Hell UPS groung gets from Midway to the house in 2 days. Midway doesn't list shipping info about UPS basic, so I thought I would. Thank you, Have a nice day.

bigboredad
08-20-2010, 07:44 PM
well if they don't list anything about basic by all means don't call ups yourself and ask its much easier to whine and complain again take responsibility and quit blaming others because you failed to educate yourself. you picked basic hell basic is its name you payed for basic and that's what you got . what are you trying to warn everybody about? That's like saying I picked lee molds cause it was the cheapest price then saying warning warning lee molds suck they aren't near as good as the top price brand I better call midway and complain that they have a economy base line. Bottom line you made the choice you got what you paid for basic its that simple

odoh
08-21-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm finding that I'm using Basic more and more. Usually, not in a hurry and for the price, I can live w/it. Sure, its subj to lower priority, the tracking system will not portray an est delivery date tho midway will but then again, its 'estimated'. The big thing w/me is keeping the brown van out of my yard. Something did cross my mind re the tracking not being concise w/Basic is that nothing is posted/updated on weekends and Basic has never come thru on saturday mail run.

I live rural, typically I see the tracking showing it has left the UPS station and hits the USPS during their morning sort and goes out w/the mail route driver. Would do me no good to rush down to the PO to pick it up if its out on the truck doing its route. I pay to have it delivered to my address ~ so its their job and not mine.

ON EDIT: FedEx has the same type service using USPS also.

a.squibload
08-21-2010, 04:59 AM
...to come on here and whine about basic service. Why don't you all grow up quit blaming everyone else...

"Yes Daddy". Sheesh. This thread was informative until that rant.
I didn't see whining, I saw a discussion about a shipping option I couldn't find info on.
If it's a waste of time and server space why did you read and comment?
There ARE problems, and discussing them helps us to make a decision.
So take it easy, sorry you were offended...

bigboredad
08-21-2010, 10:44 AM
the was o answer to what basic is I bet you still can't tell what basic is. Guess what I made the same mistake and choice basic but instead of coming here and blaming every one else I called ups to find out what he deal was and they explained what basic is and how it works. look at what the op puts " heads up about midway" Its not midways' fault the op didn't educate himself before choosing. so if this thread was so informative son tell what basic service is

45-70 Chevroner
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I should have received my order yesterday no luck. I called midway this morning (Saturday) and they said it was delivered to the PO yesterday. I told the person at midway that I was not pleased with this situation and she said she would take me off of UPS basic. She also said the package should be delivered today (Saturday) by the Mail Man. We shall see!

It did come today in the mail. Bite my tongue. This is not such a bad deal after all. I called Midway abouit 5 minutes ago to check it out. It would have cost me $14. 40 for UPS ground for 1.72 pounds and as it turned out UPS to the post office to my mail box was $7.91. I told the lady to put me back on UPS basic.
I think there is a lot of hup-la here for nothing.

a.squibload
08-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Agree, not Midway's fault. Sounds like it's not a bad deal when it works out.
I for one don't mind a day or two extra, I just want cheap, but usually choose USPS just 'cause I have a PO Box.
Keeps it "inside" so it doesn't walk away.

bigboredad
08-21-2010, 05:54 PM
yeah if you can wait and don't live in a rural area you can save a few bucks the downside if your package gets lost ups will not do a trace so you have to call the shipper. The thing to remember basic is ground plus 2 days and you get what you pay for and ups ground in my opinion is the best ups option

45-70 Chevroner
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
It's all a matter of preferance. $7.00 is a pretty good savings though as it was enough to pay for at least one of my items ordered.