PDA

View Full Version : Got my Star!!!!! well... almost

Dillon
08-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I just got home yesterday and was hopefull that my star arrived, and it did, but then it left again with the UPS man because Nobody was there to sign for it. :( Ive got THOUSANDS of bullets that are just begging to be sized. Now I have to wait until monday to go to the post office........ :(

dragonrider
08-16-2010, 10:06 AM
If it came by UPS why would you go to the Post Office.???

Dillon
08-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Cause thats what it said on the letter they left in place of it. I guess they just leave it there when theres nobody to sign. :(

Doby45
08-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I bet it went UPS Basic, we were discussing that very thing here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91019).

dragonrider
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Never new that.

Doby45
08-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Me either, don't feel bad. :shock:

Dillon
08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
and of course today would be the one day that I was too busy to make a trip to the Post Office.

dragonrider
08-18-2010, 06:45 PM
So you got it yet???? [smilie=s:

Dillon
08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
got it yesterday! and I got lathesmiths dies today! I kinda set it up to see how it worked and everything. From what I have read it is a huge learning curve so tmrw I will just have to see. Hopefully I will be able to figure it out and wont have to many questions to ask. Im using their javelina lube first but then I need to make some more and Ive got ten pounds of beeswax for that.

Elmar66
08-19-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm pretty new to reloading and have not started casting yet. I used to cast about 20 years ago, but never remember using a sizer. When is this needed? Mostly for rifle? Do you need it for pistol too?

Dillon
08-19-2010, 09:43 AM
A sizer is needed to size any bullet that comes out of a mold too large for your bore. mostly what I got it for is the lubing aspect though, as it can lube up to 1,000 rounds per hour with everything set right and some accessories. You can shoot most bullets as cast without sizing (at least with my moulds) but there are some molds that will produce a larger than average bullet, or you will have a firearm with a smaller than average bore. in these cases you will need to size.

cbrick
08-19-2010, 11:07 AM
From what I have read it is a huge learning curve so tmrw I will just have to see.

No, not really a huge learning curve. A learning curve yes but it's not all that bad. After you've set up a die a few times and learned the punch setting tricks you'll be doing it like an old pro.

Rick

Dillon
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
wow! one word for the star! amazing! I just lubed a couple thousand so fast! the only problem that I am having though is a small amount of lube getting over the lube groove and onto the lip of my swc's. When i mean a little bit i mean a few pin heads. They are in place of where the holes are drilled in the die so I think i need to just punch that shot in there a little better. I don't know anything else it could be. setting the top punch and getting the tension on the lube spring to stay constant was the hard part. But it went much smoother than expected! I guess the learning curve isn't as bad as anticipated. but yet I haven't tried a hard lube or multiple lube grooves yet. and I believe that may be a different story.

cbrick
08-19-2010, 02:38 PM
the only problem that I am having though is a small amount of lube getting over the lube groove and onto the lip of my swc's. When i mean a little bit i mean a few pin heads. They are in place of where the holes are drilled in the die so I think i need to just punch that shot in there a little better. I don't know anything else it could be.

It could be as simple as a bit too much pressure on the lube reservoir. When the bullet leaves the die and before the next one if there is enough pressure a little lube sneaks out of the hole and is collected by the driving band of the next bullet. Try using less pressure and see if it doesn't clear up.

Rick

casterofboolits
08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
+1 for what Cbrick said. Possiably too much pressure, but checking to make sure the unused rows of holes for proper sealing would not hurt. I've had both problems over the years. Too much heat applied to the luber will also cause the problem.

I have two of the Stars with CH Tool heater bases. I presently use Magma Eng. lube. Magma's lube has improved by an order of magnitude since I first used it about 25 years ago.

I also have the Magma Auto lubesizer with the MA systems Collator and it uses the same Star size dies.

Having used the Stars and the Magma for over two decades, I can set the punch for a different boolit depth by eye balling the hight of the grease groove from the base of the two boolits. :drinks: Most times, just turning the punch a quarter turn up or down will align the grease groove with the die holes.

Doby45
08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Yhea, there is not hardly ANY learning curve. I had mine up and running in about 10min. I also had the 3 little spots of excess lube on the front drive band of my 38 SWC. I laid off the pressure a bit and it was G.O.N.E.. Excellent machine, well worth the money and Chris makes some stinkin top notch dies. I still need to get the sweet handle from him though. The stock handle sucks, plain and simple.

Dillon
08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
I got my die from him and its perfect! I tried less pressure and it did work but it had so little pressure that I had to turn the handle every few rounds. I think it may have been a combination of that and the fact that the lube was very soft and it was around 95.F. But still I cant get over how fast this thing is! Im getting to the point now that I enjoy casting as much as shooting, and dare i say it even more when your having a bad day. Its freakin therapeutic!

cbrick
08-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I just lubed a couple thousand so fast!

I tried less pressure and it did work but it had so little pressure that I had to turn the handle every few rounds.

Now you need Magma's air pressure system. You ain't seen fast yet.

Rick

Dillon
08-20-2010, 06:21 PM
The weird thing was that I tried to order one with it but the lady there was the voice of reason and told me to get it first and run it and then see if i need it. I think that a perfect constant rate of pressure would be a blessing and of course it would be much faster. Sure I don't need it, But it would be freaking awesome! Thats the motto I live by!

Zbench
08-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Trust me, you need it. Dial it and forget it. The instructions are not that great that come with it to install it, it's not bad though. If you have an air line well worth the cost.

cheese1566
08-20-2010, 07:35 PM
I second the air feed.

I got my Star a few months ago and found a decent air feed from a fellow member. While I waited, I built the portable alum block/oak base/PID heater control. Learning curve only took a few small sessions to get the temp/pressure right to keep lube off the noses using Magma hard lube (hate sticky bullets and want to store in bulk jars). Now the notes are printed on my label maker and affixed to the air feed cylinder. I set the controller and adjust the air pressure and wait 30 minutes while checking the forum. Then go to town!

I didn't care for the Star handle so a economical roller handle was made.

I came across a really nice clone of a Magma bullet feeder here, but unsure if I care for it yet. It may be a winter project in the future to get used to and unsure if it really speeds things up.

cbrick
08-20-2010, 09:09 PM
I think that a perfect constant rate of pressure would be a blessing and of course it would be much faster. Sure I don't need it, But it would be freaking awesome!

Learning curve? What learning curve? By golly I think you've got it.

Rick

Dillon
08-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah I have one in the shop where I set it up so that's no a problem. The $ is lol. I am about to buy 5,000 primers so air feed will have to wait a couple of weeks. Unless I just break down and go ahead and buy it(which is very likely)!