PDA

View Full Version : how much crimp?

xtrmn8tr
08-15-2010, 09:43 PM
do i need to crimp... and if so... how much crimp should i be using... to get my win 231 powder to burn better so i dont get unburned powder when loading 32 S&W...and 32 S&W long also will crimping help reduce my group size of 6 inches @ 25 yds (7 shots rested) gp100 ruger

454PB
08-15-2010, 10:04 PM
With mild recoiling calibers, not much crimp is required. Case neck tension does more to prevent boolit movement than crimp anyway. Where a good solid crimp is really required is a cartridge that is used in a tubular magazine, to prevent the projectile from seating itself deeper.

6" groups at 25 yards will not be improved by heavy crimps.....you have some other problems. Make sure your boolits fit the throats and bore, and are properly lubed.

beagle
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM
I'll second the above post. You have something going on besides crimp and unburned powder. I'd look at bullet diameter first. At 25 yards, you should be getting groups the size of a pop can bottom or better easily and WW231's pretty clean burning in my guns in the .32s./beagle

Russ in WY
08-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I do not load any 32's so will have go into some what unknown territory. Have loaded many other hand gun cal's. Since these are both rimed cases a roll crimp would be type to use. Assuming you are using cast boolits with a crimp grove, start with a slight roll & add more till case mouth is fully engaged into the crimp grove. Evaluate the change you get with each level of the crimp. Hopefully you will see an incremental change as the crimp increases. I would guess that the group size will improve some where along the line & also the unburnt powder will decrease. To back up a bit if your boolit does not have a crimp grove you should still be able to roll crimp if your boolit isn't to hard, it will just be a lesser amount of crimp in stages. Hope this helps, just My 2 ¢... Russ.

runfiverun
08-15-2010, 10:33 PM
whoa here.
you got a lot of jump from those short cases to the throat.
i am gonna guess this is a 327 and not made for the short cases.
you got waaay too much up and down in size going on.
and tipping before the boolit even hits the cylinder throat is probably whats biting you.