PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 WCF case length

longranger
08-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I am loading for the first time 32-20 WCF for my 1913 Colt Army Special. I only been able to find one dimensional drawing of case dimensions,it calls for a case lenght of 1.290".I do not know if if that is a maximum lenght/trim to lenght.
I trimmed all of my new brass to that lenght and with a .313 dia. 115 gr. LSWC seated so the crimp groove is fully inside the case and a C.O.A.L of 1.610" they are to long and the stick out a few thousanth's of an inch beyond the cylinder face.
I know I need shorter cases,trim again to what lenth,1285" ? Trimming the R-P brass I am taking what seems like alot of brass off to get to that lenght,is that normal for the 32-20 cases to fit in revolvers?

10mmShooter
08-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Ranger
not sure if this helps, I went downstairs and measured 6 rounds of 32 WCF, I got from my grandfather...

They are Remmington UMC...very old

total overall lenght is 1.58 inches
the best I could measure the brass lenght it is right at 1.30 inch

http://www.keithrussell.net/3220.jpg

TGM
08-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Longranger

The specs. for the .32-20 is max case length 1.315, trim length 1.305 and max AOL 1.592. R-P brass is the only brass I have found to be this length. Other makes run around 1.280. This info is from Lyman 49th edition reloading handbook. You might try a lighter bullet to help get a AOL to fit your gun.

TGM

Guesser
08-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I shoot and load and shoot again three Colt revolvers in 32-20. I cast 3118 and 311316, both drop at 115 grains. I build my rounds to 1.557, just because thats where the bullet sits in the case best. They fit all 3 Colts just fine. I have an old box of Imperial factory loaded 115 gr. JSP ammo and they measure 1.572. I've never worried about trimming any of my 32-20 cases and some of mine have been in use since I bought them new as Rem-Umc factory ammo in 1956. I would think that you are not seating the bullet deep enough. Maybe the bullet is not suited to 32-20 OAL. One of my 32-20 revolvers is an Army Special, one is a late model New Army(1907) and one is a Bisley. All my loads work well in all of them.

runfiverun
08-15-2010, 02:20 PM
measure stuff.
your cases might be fine and its the boolit hitting the cylinder throat.
i figured where my boolits would sit in the throat then trimmed the brass back to where the crimp groove was minus about .003
now they headspace off the rim like they are supposed to and i am able to use oversized boolits.

Harry O
08-15-2010, 07:37 PM
I have been shooting and reloading the 32-20 for several decades. You absolutely have to have equal length cases to get any accuracy out of this cartridge. Without equal lengths, the crimp will be different and the accuracy will suffer. You will also lose some of the longer cases to buckling if you set up the dies for a shorter case.

There is no set case lengths for the brass. The Starline brass is the shortest. The Winchester is approx 1/32" longer and the Remington is approx 1/32" longer than that. Separate the headstamps and find the shortest case. Then trim all of them with that headstamp to the length of the shortest one. Then set up the seating/crimping die for that length. If you have more than one headstamp, you will have to have different dies set up for them or change the die length each time you change headstamps.

Here is some more information on this, including a photo of the three case lengths about halfway down the page.

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/articles/harry_o/reloading_32-20.html

Cherokee
08-15-2010, 07:53 PM
My new Starline brass is 1.282" and my RP brass usually around 1.305 which I trim to 1.303 for having the same length. Sounds like your bullet is too long for the 32-20. If you can not seat it deeper, then try another bullet. I've been reloading and shooting 32-20 for 30+ years using RP brass so when they ware out, I'll have to adjust the crimp for the shorter Starline brass.

shooter93
08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Do what Lamar/runfiverun said.

Bret4207
08-16-2010, 07:25 AM
I also shoot an Army Special 32WCF. What I do is take the shortest brass in a group and trim to that length. Don't trim new brass, trim once fired and then check it after the 2nd or 3rd firing. For some weird reason 32-20 brass grows oddly, some seems to shrink! Trimming will get you better grouping. And Starline brass is the best out there.

9.3X62AL
08-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Another long-time 32-20 revolver reloader, and I agree completely with all posted here--esp. Harry O and Bret.

Which boolits are you having trouble with?

longranger
08-17-2010, 01:11 PM
O.K. I studied all of your responses and resolved the bullets to long and sticking out beyond the cylinder.Re seated the bullets deeper with front driving band entirely in case(case lenght 1.290") Lee factory crimp appplied C.O.A.L of 1.590" fit perfectly.
Some moron thought dry firing the revolver was fun and did it enough to create a small burr on the recoil shield and that was dragging across the back of the rims.The tolerences on this revolver nothing short of amazing,a few minutes with some #600 emery paper and a flawless Colt action.
First outing this am with my first 32-20 loads @ 7 yds holding slightly low on the X ring put eyertyhing into a half dollar 25 shot group to the left of the X ring.Typical Colt sighting for early D/A's,I love this revolver just, smacks of incredible quality we will never see in our lifetimes. I frame Colts ROCK.
Thank you all for getting me straight, I had read that if you can load 32-20 you can load anything.I now understand the 32-20 it is better than I remembered.
Best forum,bar none.
Thanks
Randy

Bret4207
08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
JUST REMEMBER YOUR MUFFS BECAUSE THE 32WC IS LOUD!!!! I'VE SHOT ONE WITHOUT MUFFS A LOT AND I CAN'T HEAR MUCH, THAT'S WHY I HAVE TO YELL!!!!!

Seriously, that's the 32's only bad point in my book. Up the loads and it HURTS!

longranger
08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Which boolits are you having trouble with?

The boolits I have are 100 gr(not 115 gr. I originally posted) LSWC .313 dia. from Missouri Bullet Co. a nicely shaped boolit,just requires to be seated deeply in the case for the Colt.Front driving band was hitting the chamber throat.I will be purchasing some Remington .32 cal HBWC's.The .38's shoot extemely well from my Colt P.P.'s .38 NP,I would expect similar results with the .32's. just keep the velocity down.I have good results with Bullseye powder in the older guns,nice mild loads are my rule for any gun,if I need to go faster,harder,bigger I just get another gun to do that job.[smilie=l:

Newtire
05-06-2019, 10:35 AM
I am loading for the first time 32-20 WCF for my 1913 Colt Army Special. I only been able to find one dimensional drawing of case dimensions,it calls for a case lenght of 1.290".I do not know if if that is a maximum lenght/trim to lenght.
I trimmed all of my new brass to that lenght and with a .313 dia. 115 gr. LSWC seated so the crimp groove is fully inside the case and a C.O.A.L of 1.610" they are to long and the stick out a few thousanth's of an inch beyond the cylinder face.
I know I need shorter cases,trim again to what lenth,1285" ? Trimming the R-P brass I am taking what seems like alot of brass off to get to that lenght,is that normal for the 32-20 cases to fit in revolvers?I had the same problem using a commercial cast 100 gr. Bullet and new Starline brass. The brass measured 1.295" and unless I trimmed it to 1.280", it would stick out the front of the cylinder of my Colt "Military" (so marked on the barrel) when I seated the bullet into the crimp groove. Also, almost locks up my Smith hand ejectors. So, really depends on the boolette you are using. Thankfully, these loads feed great in my Marlin 94 CL and Win. 92. I do so dislike trimming, reaming, deburring-yukko! Makes my finger joints hurt!

gundownunder
05-07-2019, 07:16 PM
I only shoot 32-20 in a Marlin, but I trim all brass to 1.280 so I can get a consistent crimp. I have 2 molds from Accurate, 31-105C and 31-120D. At 1.280 both will chamber with the crimp in the crimp groove but any longer and the 105 gets a bit cantankerous.

samari46
05-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Speaking about loud. Might be a little OT but here goes. remember the little cut down M1 carbines that had short barrels and I think they were sold as pistols?. We were on our pistol range and you could tell the difference between shots. Guy had the cut down carbine and even with muffs that thing was loud. Full sized carbine didn't make all of that noise when it had the 18" long barrel.Frank