PDA

View Full Version : Short Gun Show Report--Reno, NV

9.3X62AL
08-15-2010, 04:50 AM
Just a short note to mention our attendance at the Summer 2010 Big Reno Gun Show. Marie had never been to a gun show previously, so I needed to end that species of cultural deprivation from her experiences. In short, she loved it. Especially the knives, as expected. We also now have our very own Jackalope mount for the living room. Additionally, she hit about 300 golf balls into the Grand Sierra Resort's driving range/lake, and donated a small amount to facilities maintenence & upkeep via the video poker machines and other gaming media.

More to the point.....there were a LOT of very nice firearms on display and for sale, some of which were decent deals. I was sorely tempted by a few of these, the best of which was a like-new CZ-550 in 6.5 x 55 with Leup 3x-9x in CZ rings--$600. Maturity--discipline--and keeping one's eyes on the prize kept me on the straight and narrow, though. Abject poverty was a contributing factor also, but in the past that hasn't been much of a hurdle. So, I've grown as a person and hobbyist.

Most gratifying of all things seen here were the abundance of ammunition and reloading components, and at prices that were fair and reasonable. Primers at Miwall were especially nice--tons of the things, and at $21.95/1K. Remington, CCI, and A LOT of Winchester. I can't attend BRGS and not buy primers, so I scored 1K each of WLR and Rem 6-1/2, the latter being well-nigh impossible to find where I live. Those will get immediate tryouts in my 25-20 and 32-20 rifle loads.

I also picked off some much-needed cartridge boxes for 223 and 38/357 cartridges.

The last mission will be accomplished later today, as I stop by NVcurmudgeon's ranch and pick up some samples and tooling to test drive my lone, remaining caliber not on board with castings--the 6.5 x 55 Swede.

MtGun44
08-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Good news from the gunshow, and it is always good to have the wife along. My wife has
attended the huge Tulsa show with me, and in fact, the first time that happened she saw
one of the safari vendors' display, talked with him and eventually we did manage a budget
priced plains game hunt in SA. Good things do come from sharing hobbies with the wife.

It is also good to hear that primers are returning to sane prices.

Thanks for the report.

Bill

onceabull
08-15-2010, 01:08 PM
What a way to ruin my Sunday Morning,Al !! To the best of my memory(??) Miwall has only made the long trek here one time,and at that pricing it's easy to understand why...Once again the Long Rifles show ,9/11-12 will have to suffice us here..Don & I are contracted for 4 tables,so will clear some space for anything you and friends from the south might want to lay off on some new eyes..side benefits available in that all are welcome to stay over and help us put in the elk camp cache before F.S.road closure effective 12 M;9/15.. Or,check over and scoop up one or more of the 6-9 thousand short sale/foreclosure places here in the valley---------y'all come... Onceabull

HeavyMetal
08-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Always wanted to get by the BRGS but never seem to be in the "hood" when it goes down.

A serious lack of planning on my part to be sure!

Odd that we don't have a link or sponser from the many outfits that put these on.

Advertising does not seem to be there forte, and with pricing I can understand why, so you'd think that links on pro gun site would be a natural for the dollar spent.

Gun shows are always an eye opener for the first timer! Particularly women as they find other things to catch thier eye than guns!

Last May I took the eldest Daughter to her first show at Costa Mesa and she was very impressed!

Might do the next one at Ontario need to check and see when that is.

PatMarlin
08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I like that Grand Sierra.

Breakfast buffet was really good- Bruce B and I did some damage in there.

My buddy and I found the best chinese restaruant in Reno. Called the China Duck House, or close to that. My god that food was good. Small place and packed. The real deal as I grew up with chinese and had home cooked all my childhood. The roast duck was incredible.

We were telling other folks at the gunshow, and they came back and raved about it. Look that place up.

82nd airborne
08-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Good news from the gunshow, and it is always good to have the wife along. My wife has
attended the huge Tulsa show with me, and in fact, the first time that happened she saw
one of the safari vendors' display, talked with him and eventually we did manage a budget
priced plains game hunt in SA. Good things do come from sharing hobbies with the wife.

It is also good to hear that primers are returning to sane prices.

Thanks for the report.

Bill

Are you going to the next big show in tulsa in october? We are considering a table there, but I think we would do better at the smaller monthly ones. The big ones are just toooo crowded.

Bent Ramrod
08-15-2010, 08:39 PM
It grieved me to miss the Big Reno show this time. It has the high end museum pieces to lust after, and the good junque to actually buy. The perfect balance. Also, the drive up the 395 to get there is spectacular.

9.3X62AL
08-16-2010, 12:24 AM
That drive north and south was spectacular, though crowded as h--l. Typical August Sunday drive south today, in other words. Marie and I made a couple side jaunts as well, saw that Lundy Lake is full--as is Grant Lake on the June Loop. Both were mudholes last year, so the winter was good to the Sierras.

Best sighting all day were the tule elk in the hayfields near Bigpine. About a dozen bulls scattered about, a couple with harems already surrounding them, and the bugling was even starting. About 70 animals, all told, in 3 different fields and enjoying the Rain-Birds in the heat.

Great weekend, for sure!

Mk42gunner
08-16-2010, 01:18 AM
The Big Reno Show is one of the things I miss the most about leaving Nevada when I retired.

Robert

MtGun44
08-16-2010, 01:47 AM
82airborne,
Not sure about Tulsa this time.

Bill

Tom Trevor
08-16-2010, 01:07 PM
And do not forget the absolute silence for a minute after the gun fired at the weapons checkin table!!!!!!

missionary5155
08-16-2010, 01:38 PM
TULSA.... when I am up north there I do my best to schedule a trip to a Tulsa Church that weekend in October.

Urny
08-16-2010, 08:38 PM
The silence after the shot was deafening to be sure. Got my attention right off the get go.

I bought 5,000 WSP at Miwall, three of those pull through gun scrubbers, and 200 hornet cases at the other end of the show. Herself got a bunch of jewelry and other dodads, no guns for her this time.

Our friends Jim and Susan, new gunnuts, met us and 9.3x62 and NVcurmudgeon there. He left with a Marlin half magazine 336 in 30-30, and Susan tried out every compact .380 in the place and selected a little Taurus to take home. Ammo for both of them from Miwall.

If you are in Reno, and find yourself on South Virginia street looking at a sign that says Chef Maurices Mediteranean Cuisine, we commend the lamb chops to your consideration, even if he does call food cuisine.

Boise next month! Oh happy day.

9.3X62AL
08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I wondered what the circs were on that A/D. Yeah, it was quiet all right.

Onceabull--not sure what gives as to Idaho just yet. My old partner hasn't answered his phone for 4-5 days, which happens if he's busy on a 'project'. I appreciate the kind offer, sir--and wouldn't mind seeing Boise again--not one bit.

So, Urny--SPILL. How about that Trooper?

PatMarlin
08-16-2010, 10:52 PM
And do not forget the absolute silence for a minute after the gun fired at the weapons checkin table!!!!!!

No kiddn' this past show? Details please?

Urny
08-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I wondered what the circs were on that A/D. Yeah, it was quiet all right.

Onceabull--not sure what gives as to Idaho just yet. My old partner hasn't answered his phone for 4-5 days, which happens if he's busy on a 'project'. I appreciate the kind offer, sir--and wouldn't mind seeing Boise again--not one bit.

So, Urny--SPILL. How about that Trooper?

Groan. I had an attack of adult behavior and decided to use the money to pay for the new utility trailer we just bought. I will regret for a long time passing up a like new Trooper for $540. And the 97% New Frontier .45 LC for $800 and all the others too. I NEED a .357 with a four or six inch barrel, but it will not happen just yet.

9.3X62AL
08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Ah, maturity. I had several similar fits of responsibility at this Show. Highly non-typical, in my case.

Pat, I don't know any details as to the A/D. No injuries were sustained, which is a good thing--but that's the extent of my knowledge. All it takes is one person to get a little too cool--comfy--casual--or cavalier about firearms safety, and a potential tragedy can bite like a rattler under a rock. ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED--until you prove to yourself otherwise CONCLUSIVELY. Gotta keep your wits about you, and not divide your attention while handling firearms. Just like driving or operating machinery, all are "snake-infested"--gotta respect them.

onceabull
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Well now,urny,here's a surprise for you,I am up close and personal with a gent that will have a old model Trooper available when you are ready...None of mine have ever yet appeared at a gun show table,but that sort of pricing is on the edge of temptation.... Onceabull

Urny
08-18-2010, 09:20 PM
We'll have to see if any of my stuff sells at this show; a productive show could make me ready. I hope you're holding a table for us.

onceabull
08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
urny: Those troopers still with me came like 40 years ago, doubt that there's a hurry to leave..!!! Very little I'm holding has been around for longer,unless it came to me from Dad or grandDad. Too bad that I didn't hold on to some of the 5 others that went away earlier...Your table is contracted,barring my trolling up a overflow cast of "characters" that should be showing their disposables to the eager buyers waiting here,and I'll use some of my space before yours naturally...Stay healthy,the locally economy needs you.. Onceabull

Tom Trevor
08-23-2010, 02:41 PM
No kiddn' this past show? Details please?
Pat, sorry to be so late getting back here. The Glock was a friend of the transfer agent behind the curtins at the show. He had come in to help and had his CCW weapon loaded on him in the show. At some point he decided this was not a good idea so in taking it to unload it was droped and in grabing it BANG.
Deputies took said waepon apart and put parts in box cuffed the gentleman and took him away. Wonder why they took it down??