PDA

View Full Version : Groundhogs 0 Saeco #58 1

harley45
05-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Haven't had much ime to cast shoot, or post lately but had the day off today and nothing to do so I went over to a new neighbors house with the 1911s and some loads of the above mentioned bullet with 5.4gr 231 and while shooting at some tin cans this wild eyed groundhog stuck his head out from the barn door and the Les Baer put one of the slugs thru his eye socket at the amazing and paced off distance of 4 yards, sure did make a mess, next time I get a car struck deer call I'll try a skull shot with this load and let you fellows know how it works, so far I am very impressed with this boolit and thinking about ordering a 4 cavity model for my x-mas gift.
Eric

Bass Ackward
05-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Last weekend I was at the range. My berm get's pretty well tore up as 45s move more dirt than a D9 Cat. The ground is hollowed out to the point that it goes almost straight up in the back for about 10 feet. It stays that way until we get a good rain and then it will cave in.

I had went out and put up targets on the back board about a half hour earlier and wasn't paying attention. I am watching in the scope concentrating on the 4th shot in this first group and at impact, I catch this blob going straight up in air in the scope behind the backboard. Up it goes for what looked to be about the height of the berm and back to earth it came disappearing behind the backboard.

All of a sudden here's this groundhog in the hollowed out portion of the berm trying to go up the vertical dirt wall. Legs are a churnin. Dirt is a flyin. And he is suspended about half way up. He runs there for what seems like 30 seconds to me but probably an eternity to him. Then he slides down the wall out of sight. I walked out to see what happened and there he set's, breathing hard and he just looks up at me. I told him he better get out of there cause I was going to let another one go and he turned and just started wadling off.

Turns out he thought he had discovered a gold mine of sorts and had dug a home in the lose dirt behind the target. For some reason he decided to vacate at least for the day. Might go down tonight just to see if he is still there. Got some 44s to see if they cause the same comotion as the 45s. He did dig up quite a few penetration samples for me though.

StarMetal
05-13-2005, 09:46 AM
John,

You really screwed up. That's one of Puxatawny Phil's relatives and now you're going to have six more weeks of spring rains. Gosh, that poor lil groundy hog seen worse then his shadow lookin up at the likes of you. hahahahahahahahaha

Shucks he shoult get 50 extra bucks month pay for livin in a combat zone.

Joe

P.S. Almost forgot to mention when I was shooting the cast in the AR 15 three deer come out from behind my 100 yard target backstop to see what all the shooting was about. I had to stop till they left.