PDA

View Full Version : lead shot for bullets

xtrmn8tr
08-14-2010, 04:29 PM
what about using lead shot for melting into boolits?:p

cajun shooter
08-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Go to the sticky section and read the articles by Glen Fryxell on alloys. It will answer such questions. So will the reading of the Lyman Cast Bullet HandBook.

tonyjones
08-14-2010, 11:38 PM
According to Ballistic Products, Inc. chilled shot contains 1 to 2% antimony while magnum shot contaims 3 to 6% antimony, depending on shot size. No. 2 & 4 magnum shot will have 3 to 4% antimony while No. 8 & 9 magnum shot will have 5 to 6% antimony. Chilled and magnum shot contain arsenic. This can be a very good thing! The presence of antimony and arsenic allow bullets to be heat treated up to 30 plus BHN depending on alloy and heat treating method used: water dropped or oven heat treated and water quenched. For most applications cast bullets this hard will not be required but it's good to know how to get there if you do need them. Please note that the above percentages will vary depending on manufacturer.
I suggest that you add 2%, or so, tin to your shot to reduce the surface tension of your alloy and get better mould fill out. I believe the ideal alloy for heat treating will contain 3 or 4% antimony and 0.25% arsenic. More arsenic doesn't help or hurt when heat treating. More antimony will increase brittleness whether heat treating or not.
Regards,
Tony

Goatlips
08-15-2010, 01:12 AM
xtrm, I always hate to see perfectly good shot melted down when shotgunners have to pay through the nose for their supplies. Suggest you sell your shot and buy the exact lead you want on ebay or right here, and pocket the difference. JMHO :Fire:

Goatlips

excess650
08-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Shot contains arsenic to enhance roundness. Trace amounts of arsenic aid in precipitate hardening of lead/tin/antimony alloys, but too much arsenic may cause a lessened sharpness to the edges.

I've used a little shot from time to time for the added arsenic, but I don't think it was necessary with WW or recovered range lead.

With the cost of shot over the past several years, I would think it a much better idea to seek out other sources of base metal.

Shiloh
08-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I have used magnum shot for hardening soft range lead. It contains both arsenic (trace amount) and antimony. Price has sure gone up on a 25# bag of shot since I purchased it a number of years ago.

Shiloh

quilbilly
08-15-2010, 04:59 PM
I started using lead shot a few months back when I found a 20# bag of #6's at a garage sale for $5. I found the shot to be too hard when cast into various boolits so began mixing with roofing lead (pure and soft) to soften then later added a couple tin fishing splitshot per pound to tweak the mix to get things just right.
Using the birdshot saves me a lot of alchemy time now and I am sold on its use at about a 50-50 mix with roofing or other pure lead. This lead mix seems to work well in both my rifles, Contenders, and wheel guns.