PDA

View Full Version : lead buying

xtrmn8tr
08-14-2010, 11:07 AM
hi
where do you guys buy your lead from...and what can i expect to pay?

lwknight
08-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Most people here forage for free scrap lead like wheel weights.
Scrapyards are a good place to buy and you can expect to pay between $0.75 to $1.00 per pound. If you find it cheaper , your lucky.
Also check the swapping / selling section on this forum.

Shiloh
08-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Scrap yard.

He won't sell WW anymore. Never got a good explanation and he was kind of nasty when asked.

Shiloh

qajaq59
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I have a couple of garages where I can either scrounge it or pay a little for it. One scrap yard is 50 cents per lb and the other is 33 cents per lb. But often if you bring it up with the people you meet, you'll find it where you'd never expect it to be.

dudel
08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
33 cents a pound for WW from the local tire shop. For me it's a good price as he tosses out the valve stems, butts, razors and obvious zincs/FE when he loads my bucket up.

alamogunr
08-14-2010, 03:32 PM
If this thread lasts long enough, you may find a few that 'fess up to buying lead already alloyed. Most will tell you that they always get it for free. A few, like me, pay $20+ for a 5 gal bucket. I paid $20 each of the last 5 buckets I got. It was comparatively clean but still had 5-10 lbs of Zn and Fe per bucket. After cleaning those up and sweating off about 5 lbs, I have decided that I'm getting too old(68) to do that any more. I'm looking seriously at Rotometals 4-6% Sb alloy. They have a pretty good price on it and say that larger quantities are even cheaper. I have more than enough solder to add tin to make a good alloy.

I don't try to buy from scrap yards. Most around here won't sell and are so disagreeable that even if they gave it away I wouldn't deal with them.

John
W.TN

geargnasher
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm finding more and more people get a REALLY sour attitue fast when asked about lead. I've been run off from more than one shop for even asking if they'd sell me some old weights.

Gear

captaint
08-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah, sometimes the people look at you like you're some kind of criminal. Other guys just tell you what's up. I honestly haven't paid yet, but I wouldn't feel bad about paying 30 bux for a full 5 gal bucket. Show me how many you have!!!! enjoy Mike

Tom-ADC
08-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I buy mine for a member here sells great 30-1 & my BPCR rifles love it, I can't say the same for my postman.

Crash_Corrigan
08-14-2010, 06:12 PM
I am gonna get myself a piece of stationary from the EPA people under some pretxt or other.

Then I will confess in advance to some forgery, copier hi-jinx and general skullduggery. The purpose of which is to produce some authentic looking documentation which will enpower me to relieve tire selling business of their toxic waste metals at a reasonable cost. To wit:

This letter is authenticate the power entrusted to Daniel J. Corrigan to remove toxic metal wastes from the general public for proper disposal for the purposes of recycling such wastes into acceptable uses for such waste. This will ensure the saftey of the following generations of the populace from the dangers of such wastes to the enviornment and ensure the safety of the public.

Mr. Corrigan is enpowered to pay up to .30 cents a pound for used wheel weights or other toxic metals at the site of removal of such wastes from tires used in transportation.

Any reduction in the costs associated with this endeavor to the EPA would be appreciated and would save funds allocated to this function and make the operation much more cost effective and allow more waste to be removed from the enviornment and thereby save money. These savings would be passed down back to our taxpayers and local governments.

Protecting our rare California Condors and other raptors from lead ingestion should and is a high priority of this administration and any efforts to assist Mr. Corrigan in this task are deeply appreciated by this agency.

signed:

Myron T. Mayhorn, Deputy Director EPA Nevada Division.

Then I will make up some magnetic signs for application to the sides of my venerable '85 Ford 150 XLT and with a supply of new Home Depot 5 gallon buckets and a decent hand truck I will lay waste to the various tire stores in my area.

The key here is make up something that looks official enough but does not get up to the point where I can be charged with criminal impersonation etc.

What can I lose? I have a very decent turkey fryer, a good big cast iron dutch oven, a #4 Rowell ladle and a decent quantity of ingot molds. I can buy enuf propane and I certainly have enuf storage space for tons of ingots.

I gonna go out and get me some.

Blake Stephenson
08-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Dan,

Where have you been? My phone conked out so send me an e-mail to let me know you are alive.

Blake

qajaq59
08-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Can you just imagine a person, who doesn't cast or load, reading how far we will go just to get some lead? They'd think we were all as crazy as bed bugs. LOL

Wots
08-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Can you just imagine a person, who doesn't cast or load, reading how far we will go just to get some lead? They'd think we were all as crazy as bed bugs. LOL

It's good to see that I'm not the only one with this affliction. Would this be considered an obsessive–compulsive disorder?

bowhunter
08-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I pay from 20.00 to 25.00 or free for a 5 gal. Bucket. Try the tire stores thats where i go. I never clean any ww, no need i just take out the soft lead, stick on ww. I melt it all and scum off the crud.

qajaq59
08-15-2010, 09:05 AM
A while back I kept track of what it was costing me for lead. If I averaged it out between bought and scrounged, it came to roughly 25 cents a lb. Since i get about 40 Lyman 311041 bullets per pound, I figure I'm golden. I'd sure hate to have to go back to buying "J" bullets, considering I usually shoot a 100 a week. I wonder what "J" bullets cost these days? I haven't used them for years in the 30-30.