PDA

View Full Version : Storing contender barrels

Ohio Rusty
08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I've finally gotten the bug to own a couple of first generation contenders, and I'm curious hon how to store the barrels so they don't rust. I went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago, and saw some barrels on a table that had rust spots all over them. This is Ohio .... the land of high humidity and rusting metal. Even trees and rocks rust here.
I have quite a bit of RIG gun grease. Is is necessary to put on a thick coat inside and out while the barrels are not in use for months at a time? Maybe wrap them in a silicone cloth while being stored?
Ohio Rusty ><>

fishhawk
08-12-2010, 08:32 PM
well i just use RIG on them. yes thats the brand name RIG

No_1
08-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I really don't think you need a thick coat. A thin coat should take care of business. I am in Florida, I seldom use any additional protection beside a silicon cloth that has Ballistol added to it. I rarely leave a gun untouched for long periods of time and a full safe ensures that I always have to unload it because what I want is always in the back. Before I re-stack the safe I wipe my hands with the silicon / Ballistol cloth then wipe each gun before it goes in. I NEVER have rust problems. You can find info on the product here: http://www.ballistol.com/product_Firearms.htm
When I clean after shooting my last wipe in the bore is with a 50/50 mix of ballistol / marvel mystery oil that I keep on the bench.

Robert

stephen perry
08-12-2010, 09:13 PM
For any gun/contender barrel storage first I would clean the barrel then I run 2 patches of Old Hoppes through the barrel let sit. When you want to shoot the barrel run 1 old Hoppe patch followed by several rubbing alcohol patches. Now if you shoot dry bullets, I don't, you can run 1 patch with several drops of light oil like 3 in1 on a patch through the barrel before shooting. You add the oil because the barrel will be bone dry after the alcohol patches.

For the rest of the gun and the outside of the barrel take a silicone rag and spray it heavy with more silicone and wipe generously. Every 6 months take your barrels and guns out and rub them down with your silicone rag again.

If you feel you will not see these barrels and guns for several years leave the Hoppes in the barrel even add more every 6 months. For the outside of the gun for long storage spray some white lithium on your rag and wipe down.

Barrels and guns stored properly will last clean of rust and grunge for longer than your life-time, that's what you to happen isn't it.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Doc Highwall
08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I just use a electric dehumidifier in the safe made by Golden Rod.

AZ-Stew
08-12-2010, 10:29 PM
It pays to live in AZ. I just put them on the shelf in the safe. 20 years, no rust. (Gloat, gloat!)

Almost any light oil should do fine. Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner is a good one Run a patch full of it through the bore a couple of times, followed by using the patch to put a light coat on the outside of the barrel. It's a very light machine or instrument oil and should not gum up after long storage. Just wipe it off and you're good to go.

Regards,

Stew

Moonie
08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
lanolin will work well, Eds Red is good IF you have added the lanolin. I keep lanolin/alcohol in a spray bottle for case lube and it works well on dies, the man cave is high humidity.

82nd airborne
08-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner is a good one Run a patch full of it through the bore a couple of times, Stew

Dadgum it is! Have you wiffed that stuff? anytime someone new comes to the house i make them take a long sniff. most end up upside down in the yard, with only the whites of their eyses showing. maybe an exaggeration...
oh yeah, it cleans good too! but that doesnt matter.
Aaron

casterofboolits
08-13-2010, 07:01 AM
I live in south western Ohio and this summer hs been bear! Seems like a mould will acquie a patina of rust within 15 mins of stopping casting.:(

I use Birchwood Casey Sheath on all my firearms and moulds. Also a Golden Rod in the safe.

I first ran into Sheath back in the late 60's when we were having problems with rust on insert stamping die tooling we shipped to England and Japan by air. Moisture would condense on the tooling when the plane came down from high altitude. We switched to sheath and the problem was solved. I quickly appropriated two one pint cans for use on my firearms. Great stuff! :drinks:

Rocky Raab
08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
VPI paper. That shiny brown paper your calipers came wrapped in is VPI paper. It emits a rust-preventing vapor for months if not years.

Wrap 'em and stack 'em.

AZ-Stew
08-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Dadgum it is! Have you wiffed that stuff? anytime someone new comes to the house i make them take a long sniff. most end up upside down in the yard, with only the whites of their eyses showing. maybe an exaggeration...
oh yeah, it cleans good too! but that doesnt matter.
Aaron

You're confusing Montana Extreme Bore Solvent with their Bore Conditioner. The Bore Solvent is loaded with ammonia to remove copper fouling. The Bore Conditioner is an odorless, or nearly so, very light oil. Two different products.

If you think the Bore Solvent is pungent, try some of their Copper Killer. Removes nose hair.

Regards,

Stew

No_1
08-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I need to get some of that for Christmas presents. I have a few co-workers that have excessive nose hair. :shock:

If you think the Bore Solvent is pungent, try some of their Copper Killer. Removes nose hair.

Regards,

Stew

Wayne Smith
08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
In every test of rust restance I have seen RIG comes out on top by a large measure. To the extent that there is often a different category for everything else.

82nd airborne
08-13-2010, 12:21 PM
You're confusing Montana Extreme Bore Solvent with their Bore Conditioner. The Bore Solvent is loaded with ammonia to remove copper fouling. The Bore Conditioner is an odorless, or nearly so, very light oil. Two different products.

Regards,

Stew

you are correct, just checked my bottle. midway had it on clearance for dirt cheap there for a while. Ill have to try their copper killer in case the frequents here get immune to it.

Bad Water Bill
08-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I was forced to put ALL of my toys away for over 25 years RIG RIG RIG. When it was safe to re introduce the guns to daylight there was ZERO rust present. Need i say more living in Chicago land.:drinks:

fourarmed
08-13-2010, 03:10 PM
I take a red shop rag and "butter" it lightly with Rig, squirt on a little gun oil, roll it up tightly and store it in a container with a screw top. Any time I handle a firearm, I wipe it down with the Rig rag before putting it away.

Doc Highwall
08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I just thought of it--- FLUID FILM---. Some where here is the test with Fluid Film and a corrosion test out side lasting months.

AZ-Stew
08-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Well, I just took the lid off my Bore Conditioner (light oil) and took a sniff. While it's not odorless, it sure ain't Bore Solvent or Copper Killer. The small amount you put on a patch for preserving a barrel's bore won't even get your dog's attention.

I also took advantage of the sale Midway had running a couple of months ago. I bought five of the six-ounce aluminum bottles for $20. Helluva deal. 30 ounces for less than the price of a 20 ounce bottle.

Regards,

Stew

Geraldo
08-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Posted by Ohio Rusty:

This is Ohio .... the land of high humidity and rusting metal.

I used to live in Ohio, but now I live in Florida, compared to which Ohio is like a desert.

Anyway, I have a goldenrod in my safe and I never put anything back in without a wipedown from an oily rag. That seems to be enough even here.

blackthorn
08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I used to live on the west coast of BC (similar to Oregon) and now I live in Kamloops (semi desert). For years all I have ever used on the outside of my guns is Simonize car wax! The insides get a good oil (Eds Red). Never have had a gun rust yet!

MtGun44
08-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Dip in LEE Liquid Alox which is basically Cosmoline.

Agree that Ohio is a desert compared to Fla. unless you are in air conditioned
space. Touch a gun and if you don't wipe it down with an oily rag, it rusts - NOW.

Bill

Mk42gunner
08-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Cosmoline is a very good preservative; hoever it is a very large PITA to remove. I think RIG, some sort of paste wax, or lanolin would be a lot easier to use and remove before shooting.

This summer has been very bad here in Missouri; high temps and high humidity. I have had surface rust appear on just about everything you can think of. TImes like these make me miss the Nevada desert with its normal less than 40% humidity. The day I retired the humidity in Fallon, according to the weather channel was 7%.

Robert

Blammer
08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
big thick layer of cosmoline should work. :)

Dano50
09-02-2010, 02:53 PM
This looks like a perfect application for Fluid Film (http://www.fluid-film.com)! It gives great protection without the mess of a cosmoline.