PDA

View Full Version : Old Cartridges

StarMetal
09-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Fellows, have two old cartridges here. One is familiar as it's a 30-06. What is strange about it is that it's a spitzer nickelcupro bullet, the case has a very light charge of powder in it (can feel it by shaking it) and it has somekind of deep crimps ahead of the shoulder. It's marked "F A 17". The other is really a mystery. As you see the head is stamped Rem-UMC 35 Remington. First it's a 30-06 size case head, that is it mikes .473. The bullet mikes .268 and the neck has split fingers. What the heck is this? Pictures:

LET-CA
09-01-2006, 02:05 PM
The deep crimps on the shoulder lead me to believe that this is a reload, and the crimps were caused by too much lube on the case as it went into the resizing die. It's a fairly common fault among new reloaders. (I know becuse I've done it many times in the past.) If I am correct, then it's almost impossible to tell much more because a reloader could have put almost anything into the case. Good luck.

I came across an old 35 Remington rifle in a shop the other day. Very strange rifle. The magazine tube had a sprial shape to allow the use of spitzer bullets without the point of one hitting the primer of the following cartridge. Looks like you might have a wildcat cartridge.

Lenny

StarMetal
09-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Lenny,

The round is original factory and the crimps are uniform, so it's not oil crimps.

thanks
Joe

KCSO
09-01-2006, 04:39 PM
That is a guards ctg. and was made for guard duty.

LET-CA
09-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I defer to the superior knowledge of others.

Larry Gibson
09-01-2006, 06:25 PM
That is a guards ctg. and was made for guard duty.

That's the correct answer for the '06 cartridge. My gustimate on the other is that it is a reformed 35 Remington, then fire formed and then reloaded cartridge for possibly the 6.5 Jap.

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
09-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Wow, that's a pretty old guard cartridge then.

Larry, the headsize on that 35 rem round is same as the 06, the 35 rem should be slightly smaller, right?

Joe

floodgate
09-01-2006, 10:45 PM
LET-CA:

"I came across an old 35 Remington rifle in a shop the other day. Very strange rifle. The magazine tube had a sprial shape to allow the use of spitzer bullets without the point of one hitting the primer of the following cartridge."

That magazine setup was standard for the Remington M14 and 141 pump-action rifles. I guess it must have worked, 'cuz I've neverheard of one having a magazine blowup.

Joe:

The .35 Rem. is, 0.460" rim/0.459" head; the .30-'06 is 0.473"/0.471" Probably within production and mike/caliper "slop". But you're right, it is anomalous.

Doug

StarMetal
09-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Larry,

You are correct about that 35 Rem marked round. I don't know what I was thinking, probably of the 7.62x39 being I've been reloading alot of it, as being smaller then the 30-06 head. It is not, so I think what you said is dead on about it.

Thanks
Joe

Ross
09-02-2006, 01:51 AM
The 35 REM base diameter is a puzzler. What is the case length? 6.5x??
A 35 Rem should be 1.920" - 48,77mm.
Could those neck marks be residual rose crimp folds?
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Ranch Dog
09-02-2006, 09:28 AM
I came across an old 35 Remington rifle in a shop the other day. Very strange rifle. The magazine tube had a sprial shape to allow the use of spitzer bullets without the point of one hitting the primer of the following cartridge.

Lenny,

That would be the Remington Model 14 or 141. Like you noted the magazine tube had a spiral wrap to it that allowed the cartridges to stagger as they where held in the tube. The bullet point rode in the groove of the magazine and did not rest against the primer of the cartridge ahead. The funny thing is that the Remington ammo never took advantage of their own design. The 30, 32, and 35 Remington all where factory loaded with round nose bullets. Remington's 150-grain Pointed Soft Point for the 35 Remington was about as close as they got. That bullet is generally thought as of unacceptable for the tubular magazines of the Marlins but I'm sure folks shoot it from those rifles.