PDA

View Full Version : Premium accuracy on the cheap

Char-Gar
09-01-2006, 12:23 PM
I managed to come up with a loaner rear sight for my new Mossberg 146-B rifle until I can get my own.

The rifle weights in at 7.5 lbs, comes with flip up front sights, schanable forend, man sized stocked of walnut with cheekpiece, adjustable trigger neat click adjustable for windage and evevation rear sight, a 24" barrel and a full length tubular magazine.

Mine also came with a top notch military leather rifle sling and it was $90.00 out the door of Yea Olde Hock Shoppe.

Off the bench at 50 yards with cheapo red box Federal ammo groups with .75" with four always under a half inch.

I did this with loading 5 rounds in the magazine. Tubular magazine on 22 are always problematic. The more rounds you put in, the bigger the groups. Mossberg placed a screw on solid rib on the underside the the barrel and the magazine attatched to this rib, keeping the magazine off the barrel proper. I am certain this helps, but is not a cure all. You still have the shifting weight and changing spring pressure to deal with as the rounds are fired. All of this is the reason why real match rifles are either single shot of clip/magazine fed.

Match shooter also use much higher quality ammo and them segregate the individual rounds by measuring the thickness of the rim which controls headspace.

Although designed as a field rifle, this rifle has inherent match level accuracy in spite of it limitations in barrel weight and magazine type.

This rifle is one heck of allot of rifle for $90.00.

Many folks don't fully appreciate the lowly 22 for learning how to be a rifleman. In the days of yore, I shot competition small bore. My favorite match was the Dewar. It involved shooting at 50 and 100 yards and 50 and 100 meters. Learning the fine points of windage and elevation for this match was just as difficult as shooting the service rilfe at 400 and 600 yards.

I will keep this rifle and enjoy it, until I pass it on to some grandkid, along with a course of instruction in use of the sling, sight picture, breath control, position, windage and elevation.

Maybe, just maybe we can create another rifleman who understand the value of that one well placed shot and not be addicted to rat-a-tat-tat gunfire.

ssgt
09-01-2006, 03:53 PM
About 2 years ago I bought a mossberg Model 44US from an older gentle who had owned it for many years. He told me it was really accurate but i simply liked the fact that I bought a 22 rifle for 50 dollars.

Well, the old boy was right ! This rifle even makes me look great!

Rod B
09-02-2006, 05:43 PM
If I could find a nice used one I would snap it up in a heartbeat.:mrgreen:

I had a Mossberg when I was a kid in the late '50s. it shot well. I've always had an affection for them.

Rod.

njmj
09-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Vicious rumor mill.
Is it true all the old Mossberg design team went to work for Lee? I really miss the neat innovations the Mossberg 22's had. NJMJ

Dale53
09-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I had a 144US, bought new, that would keep five shots under a dime at fifty yards. The trigger was not wonderful, but the rifle sure did shoot well. I finally got rid of it when I bought my first 52 Winchester.

Dale53

Char-Gar
09-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Dale...You sound like another Old Time small bore shooter. I started with a Winchester 75 and moved up to a Winchester 52D Bull Gun. Those 52s ruled the range back in the day! I never knew one that was worn out by use.

I had Redfield Olylmpic sights on mine and a Lylman Super Targetspot (20X) when I wanted a scope. The scope was handy for doping the wind at 100 yards and meters, but probably didn't help much otherwise.

"Doping the wind".. Now there is an expression we don't here much anymore. I remember when the old Q & A section of the American Rifleman was called "The Dope Bag".

Today the only thing "doping" means is shooting, snorting or smoking narcotics or giving drugs to atheletes or horses.

"Times they are a-changing".

Dale53
09-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Chargar;
"Guilty as Charged!":mrgreen:

I no longer shoot smallbore other than .22 Silhouette but I DO compete with .22 Schuetzen rifles (mostly bench these days) and have a REAL soft spot in my heart for the dedicated smallbore rifle. Of course, I still shoot center fire Schuetzen, also. Not to mention my work with revolvers, autos, TC's etc[smilie=1:

I have three BSA Intl's (Mark III, Mark IV, and Mark V), an Anschutz Model 54 Prone rifle, a German Suhl Olympic Training Rifle, a H&R Model 12 (Government model) and this week at Etna Green (ASSRA Nationals) picked up a like new H&R 5200. I have some kind of virus, no doubt. Antibiotics do not help...

Dale53

Char-Gar
09-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Dale.. I have a couple of questions.

1. What are the ranges for the 22 rimfire Silhouette course?
2. What re the ranges for the 22 Rimfire (bench and offhand) Schuetzen matches?

njmj
09-04-2006, 01:07 PM
A couple a things.
Smallbore silhouette distances are meters. Chickens 40, pigs 60, turkeys 77, and sheep 100.
About the Mossberg 46 B. It has an adjustable trigger?
If you REALLY want to shoot in the wind. Try the long range 22 silhouette. It's supposed to be like BPCR only scaled down. Targets are the centerfire hand gun targets shot at meters or yards 50, 100, 150, and 200. NJMJ

Char-Gar
09-04-2006, 07:14 PM
I don't know about the 46 B but the 146-B has an adjustable trigger. You can't get it much below about 3 lbs, but it is adjustable for weight and some backlash.

Dale53
09-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Chargar:
Actually, the silhouette ranges are EITHER yards or meters (NRA recognizes that ranges are different). You may have to get a "variance" but the NRA does recognize or WILL recognize this.

We, however, do not shoot NRA Silhouette due to range build that we share with the pistol and rifle people. So, we shoot a modified course of fire. We originally modeled this off BPCR Silhouette and shot the chickens offhand at 25 yards and the pigs, turkeys, and rams off sticks at 50, 75, and 100 yards respectively. In a couple of years the guys got so good that we had too many "cleans" and we added pigs to the offhand stage. Now we are talking about going all offhand. We'll see. One thing nice about our course of fire is that most people new to the sport shoot a decent count and don't feel frustrated. It is still not all that easy to clean the course and the best shooters still win so we believe that it encourages new shooters.

Above all, it is FUN!!

We shoot schuetzen at 50, 100, and 200 yards. The rifles and shooters are well up to the challenging 200 yard course of fire but it is VERY difficult to see those itty bitty .22 holes at 200 yards regardless what optical equipment that you have. Some conditions of mirage just flat make it impossible.

I have seen a number of .22 scores at 200 yards in the middle and high 240's. These are ten shot matches. The 25 ring (German Ring target) is 1.5" in diameter at 200 yards and when shooting off the bench the hit must be half way into the higher ring to count for the higher score. That means that you have to shoot a tne shot group that is at least 3/4 minute of angle and perfectly centered.

Offhand, the leaded edge is scored.

Dale53