PDA

View Full Version : "New Ranchdog Mould"

no34570
09-01-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi guys
I was wondering,have all the blokes that ordered the Ranchdog Mould,got the New mould yet?#3 mould I think?

I still have not got it yet,I have #1 that is way to small and #2 that is casting around .429-.430 some times .431.
Does the new mould cast bullets that look like the ones we already have,eg: Big meplat and also looks like the 310gr bullet of Lee's,but a bit taller.
Can someone post a pic of the bullets that moulds #1 and #2 and then one of the so called "New Ranchdog Mould"so I can see what I'm missing out on and to see if they look the same please.
I'm pissed off I was hoping the mould would be here this weekend,but when I got home from work this evening,no bloody mould.
I've emailed Lee last week and they said this:
Mr. Hodges,

You should be getting another replacement mold in the mail. We sent out the whole batch on or around 08-16-06, yours will take a little longer due to the distance involved.
Now mould #2 was sent 10/08/2006,I wonder if thats the one I'm supposed to get?
Just wait and see I suppose
Cheers guys
Dale
no34570.

jeff223
09-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Dale as far as i know everyone has their new mold.you must be the only one that didnt get one yet.if Lee said yours is on its way i would think it is.they came through for us on this deal and got us the molds we wanted.i bet your mold is out there somewhere between the Lee factory and the LAND DOWN UNDER.

i dont have a picture of this new boolit but its the original RANCH DOG boolit for sure

i will keep my fingers crossed for you my friend that your new mold gets there very soon,

jeff

steveb
09-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi Dale, I got your email but all I have is picts from the first two moulds before my camera laid down on me. It will be a few days before I can get a pic of the 3rd and correct spec Ranch Dog bullets.

Heres what the first two looks like. In the upper left corner is from the first mould and the rest is from the second. Wasnt the meplat on the first two moulds about the same? I know the meplat on the third mould is notceably smaller than the first two recieved. Hopefully someone can post a pict of a bullet from the third mould? Anyone? Hope you get your mold soon Dale!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/1st2ndRDmoulds.jpg

LET-CA
09-02-2006, 02:21 PM
I cast just over 500 of these the other evening. With gas checks they're about 267 grains. They drop out of the mould at .434 and I size them with a Lee custom sizer down to .432 for use in my Winchesters 94s chambered in 44 magnum and 444 marlin. :-D

http://lennytaylor.freeyellow.com/2190.jpg

no34570
09-02-2006, 07:34 PM
steveb
Thanks for emailing me and helping out mate,much appreciated
they sure are nice looking bullets,too bad about your camera giving up the ghost,an expense you don't need.
I think that I might already have the proper mould, for I compared it to the Ranchdog drawing and the photo that LET-CA put on the post and they look like that.
As I said in my email to you,I chucked out the old lead I was using and put in some new lead and the sizes are in the .432-.4335,sometimes if I get the lead real hot it will go to .434 and frosty bullets result,but that's alright.
I emailed Lee last night apologizeing for going crook at them,deep down I knew they would make good with this buy,still if another mould comes,I won't say no!
Bye Mate
no34570

LET-CA
Thanks for the picture mate,bloody nice boolits,mine look very similar,still a bit anxious that maybe I have not got the right one,but I think I have,maybe Ranchdog could have a look at the picture I'll post of the one I'm currently using?
thanks again for your help LET-CA,appreciated
Cheers
no34570
P.S.
Mould #1 bullet is from the old lead that I chucked out,The Ranchdog mould (I think,I hope)was using new W/W,I think the alloy was still a bit cold.I only made a few and that was the best one I could find.I only made a few in case I had to send the mould back to Lee.
Cheers.

PatMarlin
09-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Chucked out old lead?.. :confused:

no34570
09-02-2006, 08:09 PM
The more I look at the boolit and the more I measure it,the more I'm convinced that this is the mould that we all got,the proper Ranchdog Mould.

My measurements are:
LENGTH: .735
DIA: .433-.4349
NOSE: .3125 (I think)
WEIGHT:With Gas Check:275-275.6gr W/O Cas Check:267.6-268.2gr
I know they are supposed to be 285gr in weight,how do I make it heavier?,anyone?
Thanks
no34570

no34570
09-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Chucked out old lead?.. :confused:

:-D :-D :-D :-D Nah,you know what I mean?
I just put it aside to mix in another alloy,I'd never chuck out lead unless it was really crap,it's to bloody valuable.

To tell the truth,I think it was me and not the leads fault when I first cast with the moulds,in such a hurry to get those wicked looking bullets,I probably did not clean the mould right or it was too cold the alloy or mould,but I know now it is a rip snorter.
The first mould we got is still undersized though,but might have a friend that might want it for his cowboy shoot:)
:drinks:
no34570

Ranch Dog
09-02-2006, 11:09 PM
I know they are supposed to be 285gr in weight,how do I make it heavier?,anyone?

The weight spec is one of the hardest to actually meet in any boolit. To get a heavier boolit, you will have to cast with lead in it's purest form.

no34570
09-02-2006, 11:36 PM
The weight spec is one of the hardest to actually meet in any boolit. To get a heavier boolit, you will have to cast with lead in it's purest form.
Thanks Ranchdog
I'll just stick to W/W and 275gr ain't that bad,I sure would not like to get hit by it:-D
no34570:castmine:

Ranch Dog
09-03-2006, 07:40 AM
That's what I would do no34570. I cast 1 to 1 with WW and Linotype and get a boolit that only weighs 265-grains with a gas check. The bottom line after several years that it is simply devastating on game animals. Not one has survived the impact.

no34570
09-07-2006, 05:31 AM
That's what I would do no34570. I cast 1 to 1 with WW and Linotype and get a boolit that only weighs 265-grains with a gas check. The bottom line after several years that it is simply devastating on game animals. Not one has survived the impact.

Ranchdog
Is that 1 part W/W and 1 part Linotype?:confused:
What does your bullets come out at in measurement?
I have not recieved another mould this week or a email back from Lee,so I'm assuming that all is good and I have got the proper mould,I'm happy!:)
no34570

Ranch Dog
09-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Ranchdog
Is that 1 part W/W and 1 part Linotype?:confused:
What does your bullets come out at in measurement?
I have not recieved another mould this week or a email back from Lee,so I'm assuming that all is good and I have got the proper mould,I'm happy!:)
no34570

Equal parts WW and Linotype. I don't know how pure my linotype is as I purchased 2000# of it from an abandon printing press. I'm sure it was used over and over again.

I know that Pat (the guy that would respond), was on vacation last week as I Lee called me about he shipping charge not being included on my TLC460-425-RFB 2-cavity order. They charge a $4 shipping fee on ANY special order and the lady needed my credit card to pay it.

Anyway, my boolits are slightly over .432" as my sizer always shaves a bit off of them. I was measuring them back on the original thread and I had the actual measurements in that topic.

no34570
09-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Ranchdog
Thanks for clearing that one up about the W/W and Linotype and I'll go through your original thread and read it again.
Got an email from Lee last night and it said this:
Mr. Hodges,

We sent the third revision of the Ranchdog molds out on Aug. 10, so you should have the correct one. We apologize for the confusion on this transaction, we normally don't have to make molds three times to get it right.

So I have the right mould,as I got my mould around the 18/08/2006,I must of got my mould before a lot of you fellas did there in the US,that's pretty good!
Cheers
Dale.
no34570