PDA

View Full Version : Floating an idea for Ken/45Nut

Recluse
08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I've been following the thread Ken started regarding SW Missouri and his thinking of moving there.

Things have been tough, and I mean really tough for Ken since starting this board after the Shooters.com days. Won't go into all of that, but I will say this: Ken is damned good people.

He's not just a good board and forum owner, but he's also a damn good man. He's a US Air Force veteran and he and I, it turns, out, chewed up some of the same ground during overlapping tours. It's a small world.

Ken noted in his "exploration" thread that he was seriously considering a move to Missouri. I, for one, think this is a fantastic idea. Lot of advantages for him to leave Oregon and move somewhere more central in the U.S. Among those would be a much better cost of living, better opportunity for employment consistent with his (physical) limitations, a more central location in the U.S., and being (literally) surrounded by his fellow brother and sister Cast Boolits members.

A while back, this family. . . this World's Biggest Small Town jumped in to help a fellow member acquire a new truck. Sam didn't ask for or help, only a shoulder to lean on while he and his beautiful bride tried to figure out what to do.

We rose to the occasion, and in doing so, made our little corner town of the internet even tighter. New friendships were forged along the way, new members saw what we're about here, which is far more than simply casting boolits and reloading and shooting.

My proposal is this:

If Ken is looking to relocate in order to enhance his quality of life, we can help. We can help in numerous ways:

1. Location and living arrangements. We have a number of members here who are familiar with the area Ken is looking at. Nobody better to scout out the local real estate market for a place to live. For all we know, we may have a member who doesn't post much who has a rental property he/she is willing to put Ken in, or a member who has a friend-of-a-friend who has a good deal, etc etc.

2. The move itself. We have members in Ken's proximity that could help him pack up and get loaded. Along the way, we have members all across the country that could open their home to Ken as he travels from Oregon to his new home.

We've done this in the airplane world many times. A fellow aviator/veteran/whomever is coming back to the U.S. with a port of entry in California or Oregon or Washington, but needs to get home to New York or Florida or Virginia or wherever. We set up "flying relays" where we met the traveler in one town, loaded him/her up in our plane and flew several hundred miles to the next, where we met the next pilot.

This could easily be done with Ken. Along the way, he'd get to meet a number of us, forge new friendships, etc.

3. Funds. I can think of no better investment of my money than in helping the creator, founder and owner of Cast Boolits move and set up a new life.

4. Employment Again, with our members' vast range of experience and expertise, I'm confident we could work together and help find Ken a "new life" in the employment world. It might be something as simple as working at a feed store or pumping gas at the boat docks of a resort lake or working in a gun store, retail, or whatever. But it would be a start and it would be a foundation to help Ken begin rebuilding this portion of his life.

To Ken: If I'm premature in this, please forgive me. I PM'd you about a phone call and will try and reach you sometime today--not sure what time. If you are looking to "make a life move," but a bit uncertain as to the details, well my friend, sometimes all you need to do is plant the seed and then let us provide the water and soil to help it grow.

And that is what this idea is about.

Thoughts from our members?

:coffee:

Springfield
08-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Ken is welcome to stay at my house if he happens to travel through the S.F. Bay Area.

82nd airborne
08-11-2010, 02:06 PM
if he moves to sw missouri, he'll only be an hour or so away from myself and a few other members. Yay, another shooting buddy!

Recluse
08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
:killingpc

Moderators, could you please move this to the Shooters.com area? Have no idea how/why I put it here. . . [smilie=b:

Thanks.

Trey45
08-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Done. We're in shooters.com now.

Hickory
08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
You're right in what you say, and if we
can help Gray Wolf in a little way, we
can help out Ken in a bigger way.
What say you guys, I can help out a
little. If we all do a little, it will add up to a lot.[smilie=l:

Recluse
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Done. We're in shooters.com now.

Thanks, Trey. Have zero idea why/how that happened. Me and computers, I reckon. :killingpc

docone31
08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
You know, this is indeed a superior forum.
LOTS of good folks here.
One day, I might need advice like this, and now I know where to turn to. My wife an I are sick of Floriduh. We started our business here and rebuilt our home here. Now we do not need to learn what we did, we got most of that under our belt. Now we go for the quality of life also.
Anyone want a turn key business? I can provide training also.
This is something that can be handed down to a child as their future. I have made it mine.
It is an hands on, be creative, make a difference business. I have done it for over 20yrs through thick and thin.
Anyone want to be a fine jeweler?

theperfessor
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
If he comes through SW Indiana I can gladly help with point 2. If we organize a moving fund I'm in on point 3. Sorry but no help on 1 and 4.

08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I figure i'm only good for money but I'll start setting some aside for him and his move. If i were closer i would help him load or un load his gear but i'm too far for that.

Throckmorton
08-11-2010, 04:27 PM
where in Oregon is he?
I think what you are proposing is a terrific idea for a terrific person...whom I"ve never met but that is beside the point,eh?

Looking at the number of members,if only one fourth of us donated a buck apiece,the amount would be noteworthy,think what 4000 members donating 5 bucks could accomplish !!

Echo
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm in . . .

6.5 mike
08-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Me also.

thx997303
08-11-2010, 07:06 PM
I'll gladly help with what I can.

Bloodman14
08-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Being in Lebanon I can certainly help unload if he comes to this area. What is he looking for as far as housing?

Mk42gunner
08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm cutting the funds way too close for comfort, but I could probably help with the unloading if this comes about.

Robert

smoked turkey
08-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Count me in for 2. and 3. I am in SW MO and will be glad to give a hand in unloading & helping Ken to settle here. His location of choice and timing will determine level of involvement.

45nut
08-12-2010, 12:21 AM
I will confirm this much,, I am not staying here any longer than I must and the southern missouri ozarks are calling to me for some reason, that is where I am looking at the hardest.

Needs? Modest and simple needs here,, no mcmansion wanted within my view, couple rooms and a couple acres to putter on. I don't want sidewalks and streetlights in my neighborhood.

I am seeking a place to live that doesn't feel like a crushing burden like it does here, now. I will never be well here, that much I do know.

I have many things here yet that will need to be dealt with before a move so this will probably develop pretty slowly.

autofix4u
08-12-2010, 12:29 AM
count me in for help on this end, I am in Sw mo and have a truck or 5 and lots of helping hands. I also have friends in the realestate biz. Someone just shoot me a pm if'in you need somethin. I am
on at least twice a day everyday.
Also have a spare room at the house & a camper i could loan.

runfiverun
08-12-2010, 12:31 AM
you already got my address and phone number, and i am along the way.
good for some gas money and grub too.
just let us know.
L and A

snsbpb
08-12-2010, 12:41 AM
The Ozarks, now you are talking. I don't really know much about NW mo. But there are some very nice places in the Ozarks. When I think of Ozarks, I think about water and hills. The Mark Twain Forrest is huge with lots of hunting. I believe Old Goat Keeper is also moving to the Ozarks soon. If there is anything I can do to help you in your search please let me know. You can figure that land is going to be in the range of $2,000 an acre and up, the more you buy usually the cheaper the land.

You really need 3 acres or more, I believe, to have a properly installed septic system that can be licensed. A good well will run you about $6,000. Water is just so important and most generally it is quite abundent.

Another consideration would be internet service. We still have dial up where I live, but I heard today that wireless may be available now. I really hope so. I've lived in the Ozarks for the last 32 years, so if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

82nd airborne
08-12-2010, 08:33 AM
if you buy land in the country you can get down around 1k per acre.
Can someone start up a paypal donation method for ken, like was done with the server fee?

Dillon
08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I would be willing to help with 3 also, but living in NC I wouldn't be much help with the others.

shooterg
08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Don't forget the new place has to be big enough for or close to a decent Range !

TCFAN
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I will help any way I can. I live in Ozark county............Terry

82nd airborne
08-12-2010, 02:21 PM
check out Hector, AR on google earth Ken, secluded, joins 1.3 million acers of national forrest, 1k an acre or less, lots of small farms for sale, and you can shoot wherever you want. not to mention creeks clean enough to drink from, right in the heart of the ozarks.

Chapped Lips
08-12-2010, 07:47 PM
ken,
i've READ that Blue Eye,Ark. is a good place to swagger around....located somewhere in the Ouachita Mtns....
if ya'll start a fund raiser,i'm in but i'll need a physical address to mail to.....regards,ken.

frankenfab
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
check out Hector, AR on google earth Ken, secluded, joins 1.3 million acers of national forrest, 1k an acre or less, lots of small farms for sale, and you can shoot wherever you want. not to mention creeks clean enough to drink from, right in the heart of the ozarks.

+1000

That would be a secluded spot. That is on the South side of the forest, then you have Jasper, Parthenon, etc. on the North side, all absolutely beautiful country. The Buffalo National River is close.

If I don't move out West, I will probably move that direction myself someday.

captaint
08-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Ken,
Please let us know when you nail down some plans and I will certainly do what I can to help out.
Good luck in your search. enjoy Mike

MT Gianni
08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Ken, you know where I am and you are more than welcome to meals and a place to stay en-route.

Recluse, While I admire the way that you think I am not sure that your handle fits you. Great Idea, Sir. Gianni.

smoked turkey
08-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Yes the ozarks are certainly beautiful. I have been in Blue Eye many times and have cousins there. I agree that land is probably some cheaper the further south you go from Branson, MO. North of Springfield is also a good place to look. If it is important, Springfield has the areas best medical facilities IMO. Although I have received good treatment at the ER in Branson. Ken you can PM me with questions or concerns.
I agree with 82nd airborne, it would be good to start a means to donate something soon so Ken can start making more concrete plans.

geargnasher
08-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Count me in for #3, probably the most essential initially.

The last well I had drilled cost me $42,000 by the time I had water coming out of the ground, and it was only 512 feet. My property in rural Texas is appraised at $12,800/acre, and you can't even raise goats on it with much success. The nearest National Park is almost seven hours away, and you can't even hunt there! The Ozarks are starting to sound pretty nice!

Probably too soon to worry about, but one thing I personally would check into is a rainwater cachment system rather than a well. It is a good idea to know the average yearly rainfall for the area in consideration, and often a small house already has enough roof to trap a constant and reliable supply of very soft, pure water. Storage tanks are about a grand apiece in the 2500 gallon size, and the pressure pump/tank/sediment filter/ultraviolet filter/plumbing/wiring would be a requirement for a well anyway, so subtract the number of tanks needed from the cost of the well/casing/pipe/pump/motor/wire/control box/labor/pumphouse to see the savings.

Anyway, Good luck Ken, pm your addy and I'll start stashing some funds away for you, and if you can think of anything specific you need, just ask. (No, you can't have the chrome grill on my '46 Chevy! :kidding:)

Ian

Wayne Smith
08-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Way over here on the East Coast I'm probably only good once a fund starts. I'd like to do the same thing but stay here in VA. Not anytime in the forseeable future, though.

stephen perry
08-13-2010, 09:23 AM
and some bucks in his blue geans if he comes my way. What the heck a bucket of WW for his new place too. Maybe some as Cast if he can use em.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

felix
08-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Ken, moving your "home" is much harder in your mind than it is in reality. There is no perfect home on earth, so play down that particular aspect as much as possible in your mind. In other words, go for the psychology of the move rather than for the physicals. This means people interactions are FAR more important in choice of location. In your situation, being close to hospitals is IMPORTANT. Little Rock, Kansas City, Memphis, Tulsa, Oklahoma City have good ones. The best ones are in Houston, and that really gives credence to the mountains around Mena AR for a location that should be considered as well. I have spent time in St. Joe MO as well, and I like the area. It's sorta' flat compared to the Ozark community, and has more of an Iowa psychological temperament. ... felix

82nd airborne
08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
the fayetteville, AR VA hospital is OUTSTANDING as well. i drive an our and a half to get there just because the staff is so knowlegeable, proffesional, and unlike other govt run facilities, they are far from lazy.

felix
08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes, agree. Fayetteville AR has the best VA operation in the state. Northwest Hospital ain't to shabby either, and now will compete equally with the Tulsa ones. They have been acquiring quite of few experienced doctors over the last couple of years. Another area worth looking into, Ken. This area is quite fast, though, because of the WallMart influence. ... felix

Recluse
08-13-2010, 11:14 PM
In your situation, being close to hospitals is IMPORTANT. Little Rock, Kansas City, Memphis, Tulsa, Oklahoma City have good ones. The best ones are in Houston, ... felix

Felix,

Dallas' hospitals are world-class as well.

If Ken should find himself needing to get to a Dallas or Houston hospital, I can handle the transportation. Where he's looking in southern MO, there are lots of and lots of little airfields around to land at and load him up.

autofix4u
08-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Count me in for #3, probably the most essential initially.

The last well I had drilled cost me $42,000 by the time I had water coming out of the ground, and it was only 512 feet. My property in rural Texas is appraised at $12,800/acre, and you can't even raise goats on it with much success. The nearest National Park is almost seven hours away, and you can't even hunt there! The Ozarks are starting to sound pretty nice!

Probably too soon to worry about, but one thing I personally would check into is a rainwater cachment system rather than a well. It is a good idea to know the average yearly rainfall for the area in consideration, and often a small house already has enough roof to trap a constant and reliable supply of very soft, pure water. Storage tanks are about a grand apiece in the 2500 gallon size, and the pressure pump/tank/sediment filter/ultraviolet filter/plumbing/wiring would be a requirement for a well anyway, so subtract the number of tanks needed from the cost of the well/casing/pipe/pump/motor/wire/control box/labor/pumphouse to see the savings.

Anyway, Good luck Ken, pm your addy and I'll start stashing some funds away for you, and if you can think of anything specific you need, just ask. (No, you can't have the chrome grill on my '46 Chevy! :kidding:)

Ian

Under ground watertanks are not a good idea here. It would cost 7k just to dig (blast) a hole big enough to put a 25k tank into the rock we call ground here.

I put a well in about 2 years ago for a stock tank on the farm. Cost was under $7,500 including the power pole & 1,000 gallon tank.
My inlaws have put there place up for sale, 2 small houses 2 wells, septic, 24'x24' workshop all on 16 acres for $80,000. less than a mile from the James river.

stephen perry
08-14-2010, 07:46 AM
I hope to be there in 5 years. Have traveled there several time to compete at the Whittington Center, stayed there a week at a time 3 different years. Recently saw a 33 acre spread 7 miles NE of Raton that would fit our needs. This way I would be close to Trinidad, Colorado 10 miles and the gunsmithing school and have the Whittington Center 15 miles away, for me can't do much better than that and the plus my wife likes the place. At 7000' elevation the weather is cool to crisp anothe r plus for me as I like to take in the sights wander as some say like I do in my Desert job in So Cal. My bud Bryan of ZIA bullets is my age and has been in Raton for 15 years now, he is good to shoot BR with and we share bullet making info.

Another plus the new Albiquerque Range is a 3 hour drive where I want to compete in BR also. Oklahoma is next door as is Texas, I hope to shoot, hunt and fish till the Lord takes me away, around 85-90 years.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

PatMarlin
08-14-2010, 11:12 AM
My inlaws have put there place up for sale, 2 small houses 2 wells, septic, 24'x24' workshop all on 16 acres for $80,000. less than a mile from the James river.

Dang that sounds good.

Ken? I'm in... long as I can visit ..:mrgreen:

PatMarlin
08-14-2010, 11:20 AM
OK- as a west coast boy I gotta say what in the world is that?

Looks like Salmon terribly gone mutant... :mrgreen:

http://www.patmarlins.com/DSC_1103.JPG

theperfessor
08-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Spoonbill catfish

MT Gianni
08-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Paddle fish, in MT we snag them and hang on.

geargnasher
08-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Under ground watertanks are not a good idea here. It would cost 7k just to dig (blast) a hole big enough to put a 25k tank into the rock we call ground here.

I put a well in about 2 years ago for a stock tank on the farm. Cost was under $7,500 including the power pole & 1,000 gallon tank.

I never said anything about underground storage.

Gear

Down South
08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
We call em spoonbill too. I think you can keep one per person in La. if the rules haven't changed again.

Ken, I'm up to help with the funds but that's about all I can do since I live where I do and I don't know much about SW Missouri.