PDA

View Full Version : Rings on the boolit noses

JTknives
08-10-2010, 01:41 PM
after i use my lyman seating die i get a ring around the nose of my boolit. the nose punch is made for round nose bullets and so it cuts a ring. can i use make a nose punch that is flat as the boolits im seating are my 200gr WFN for my 10mm. or does it have to capture the side of the boolit as well. If i can use use a flat nose punch then i will just turn this one flat on the lathe.

Doby45
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Use a flat punch, I do for my FN boolits.

montana_charlie
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
The seating punch in My Lyman die is threaded like 9/16 x 18 bolt. See if yours is the same.
You could start with one of those and create a new punch...thereby saving the original for 'other purposes'.

I believe you can have a totally flat end on the punch if your bullet is not so soft that it requires support around the nose.

CM

Wally
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Use hot glue---fill in the seating stem w/hot glue. Take a bullet covered with tightly wrapped Saran wrap and push it into the seating screw. Let it harden. remove the bullet and cut away the Saran wrap--- Epoxy works too, but it takes some time to harden. To remove it--heat the seating screw with a propane torch and wipe it away.

JTknives
08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
The seating punch in My Lyman die is threaded like 9/16 x 18 bolt. See if yours is the same.
You could start with one of those and create a new punch...thereby saving the original for 'other purposes'.

I believe you can have a totally flat end on the punch if your bullet is not so soft that it requires support around the nose.

CM

wow great idea, thanks

Blammer
08-10-2010, 02:32 PM
it's asthetics, won't hurt the performace a bit.

Pepe Ray
08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
good sugestion M.C.
What's you solution for RCBS dies?:-P
Pepe Ray

MtGun44
08-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I turned a top punch to a flat and it works for a majority of my boolits.
Some get a ring, no big deal, purely cosmetic.

Bill

Rocky Raab
08-10-2010, 03:02 PM
If you load a LOT of a single style bullet, you can make a custom seater stem using stock bedding compound, body putty or epoxy (as suggested above). Just make sure you have the bullet greased up well as a release agent - and that you have it and the stem aligned straight while it cures.

JTknives
08-10-2010, 03:32 PM
it's asthetics, won't hurt the performace a bit.

the problem is that i was not getting a repeatable OAL. it all depended on how deap the ring pushed into the boolit. but now the problem is solved with a new top punch ;) i even drilled and tapped a hole on the side so a set screw will be used to hold the punch instead of that crappy lock nut.

Blammer
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
ah! then it matters, didn't know about that.

good deal on the new top punch.

montana_charlie
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
good sugestion M.C.
What's you solution for RCBS dies?:-P
Pepe Ray
I don't know how RCBS bullet seaters ae configured.
I only have one RCBS reloading item and it's an expander die for .45/90. The slug in that is also 9/16 x 18.
I use it as the dedicated powder compression die.

i even drilled and tapped a hole on the side so a set screw will be used to hold the punch instead of that crappy lock nut.
I prefer a clamp-on shaft stop collar. I get the size with a half-inch bore and redrill it so I can tap it for 9/16 x 18.

Then, you just run it down the slug threads to the point where you would have used the locknut...and tighten the screw to lock it in position.
After that, you can take the slug out of the die and put it back in without loosing your setting.
CM

94Doug
08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
You can always send some boolits and some money to RCBS, they will make you one. It's a solution, just not the cheap one.

Doug

OBXPilgrim
08-11-2010, 07:37 PM
A flat head socket bolt, with the hex hole filled with epoxy, is what stays in mine most of the time. Sand the epoxy flat. Someone here turned me on to that one.

jsizemore
08-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Isn't the end of a bolt opposite the head flat? If you get a bolt long enough with a threaded shank then you can get a nut for your lock nut and be out a total of about $.25. Maybe I'm missing something.

JTknives
08-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Isn't the end of a bolt opposite the head flat? If you get a bolt long enough with a threaded shank then you can get a nut for your lock nut and be out a total of about $.25. Maybe I'm missing something.

yes and no. the end of a bolt is flat but not perfectley flat and will do weird things to the ends of your boolits. second, the part og the die that the nose punch goes into is smaller then the outside diameter of the bolt threads so you cant thread it down that far. you need to remove the threads far enough so the face of the bolt can reach far enough into the die body so you can seat your boolit with out crimping the case before the boolit is seated.