PDA

View Full Version : casting problems

bsmith
08-10-2010, 01:13 PM
can anyone tell me what causes this i had 3 molds and all did this it may be the lead is not hot enough

stubert
08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Mold not hot, oil in mold or lead not hot. Clean w/ brake clean and crank up the temp. I preheat steel molds on an elec. hotplate.

No_1
08-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I have to agree completely with Stubert except for the brake cleaner. When heated it puts off some nasty stuff that will kill you. I suggest carb cleaner which works just a well.

Get your lead HOT, clean your mould in warm soapy water, dry it, spray it out with carb cleaner, get your mould hot then start pouring lead.

R.

Doby45
08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree with No 1. I use nothing more than boiling hot soapy water and an old teethbrush.

AZ-Stew
08-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I have to agree completely with Stubert except for the brake cleaner. When heated it puts off some nasty stuff that will kill you. I suggest carb cleaner which works just a well.

Get your lead HOT, clean your mould in warm soapy water, dry it, spray it out with carb cleaner, get your mould hot then start pouring lead.

R.

Any solvent that's a chlorofluorocarbon will produce phosgene gas (deadly) if heated while it's liquid. Once it evaporates it is no longer a hazard. It's gone.

If you use one of these cleaners, be absolutely sure it's all evaporated, including around the handle slots and mould mounting screws, before casting.

Dawn dishwashing soap and a tooth (teeth?) brush will achieve the same result in most cases. I've had a couple of my moulds that were thoroughly cleaned, but wouldn't cast for beans until I set them aside for a couple of days. Next session they cast like old favorites. Go figure.

From the photo, I'd say your mould is too cold. Cast faster.

Regards,

Stew

44man
08-10-2010, 03:21 PM
I agree with No 1. I use nothing more than boiling hot soapy water and an old teethbrush.
You are 100% right but I see you are NOT from WV where we use a TOOTHBRUSH! :bigsmyl2:

BABore
08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
You are 100% right but I see you are NOT from WV where we use a TOOTHBRUSH! :bigsmyl2:

That's cause peoples from WV usually only have one tooth to brush. Those that don't carry them around in their shirt pocket less it time for vittles or church.:redneck::bigsmyl2:

dragonrider
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Hot water and dish soap and a teeth brush is all that's needed to clean a mold. Solvents of any kind are a waste of time and money. Rinse well with hot water, dry as well as you can, compressed air is best for this. Heat it up and any water left will evaporate. I use a propane torch to warm my molds until all water is gone I then dip the mold into the lead pot to heat it up to casting temp. I see not need to use a hotplate when one has an 800 degree pot of lead right there.

qajaq59
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Yup, a toothbrush and some Dawn does a good job. Then run it under real hot water, wipe it down, and set it on the pot when you turn it on. By the time you want to cast it'll be bone dry.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I was having some real problems with casting. You can check out some of my posts and see. These guys advice saved the day. I finally got an electric hot plate to preheat my moulds and it did wonders.

mooman76
08-10-2010, 07:48 PM
You answered your own question.

BCM45
08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
That's cause peoples from WV usually only have one tooth to brush. Those that don't carry them around in their shirt pocket less it time for vittles or church.:redneck::bigsmyl2:

I'm from WV and I have 3 tooths to brush!!!

08-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I agree with Dragonrider, in that I don't see the need for a hot plate. I set the mould on top of the pot and cover it all with aluminum foil.

leadman
08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
I have had Lee molds be stubborn about letting go of the cutting fluids. When this happens I soak overnight in paint thinner. The next day I spray with Purple Power soap and scrub with a brush. Rinse under very hot water. Do not let the P.P. soap set on the mold as it eventually eats aluminum, no problem with other metals like iron or steel. It will discolor brass.
Boiling in dish soap and water works well also.
Have had to smoke with a wooden match sometimes also, even after a good cleaning.

lwknight
08-10-2010, 10:09 PM
You are supposed to brush one tooth at a time , thats why its a tooth brush instead of a teeth brush.

Bsmith , Your molds are too cold.