PDA

View Full Version : Cast in the Triple-Deuce

klausg
08-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Gang,
While this is in the very early stages, as in only one trip to the range, I thought I ought to get some advice from you guys. At a minimum, hopefully you guys can @ least confirm my suspiscions.

First, the weapon in question is a Savage 24V, circa '67 or thereabout. Bores are in good shape; very minor pitting about 2" forward of the chamber in the rifle tube, but otherwise really nice. This weapon shoots j-words just peachy-keen; better than I ever thought it would. I have not done a chamber cast, but I can tell you that it has a really LONG leade. As in I barely seat the j-words, (the joys of a single-shot).

Second, the loads: Lyman 225415, ACWW, sized to .225; powders are 2400, IMR 3031 & H322, charges towards the faster end of the spectrum. The boolits are seated much deeper, if I were to try the same OAL as j-words, I would barely contain the gascheck.

Okay, to be honest I wasn't having the greatest day at the range with anything, but the expected accuracy just wasn't there. I suspect several things. First is the seating depth, not too much I think I can do about it as I don't want my lube grooves exposed and picking up pocket lint, etc. Secondly, I'm trying to push them too fast; sadly I didn't bring my notebook so I can't give you more information there. And finally, my diameter is too small to properly fit the throat.

So gang, how about a little help here, I realize that there are a LOT of variables, but could you guys point me towards a good starting point. Thanks in advance for any input.

-Klaus

Bullshop
08-31-2006, 09:43 PM
I wont try to help ya with loads but just want to mention smoething. Last year I loaded some ammo for a customer with the same combo gun. The boolit that worked realy good was from another Lyman mold for a 60gn rngc. I cant remember the mold # but it is a comon mold. Sorry I cant send you a sample of the GC version as I had that portion milled off the blocks for a shorter PB boolit. If you can find one I bet it will work good for you. Its a long parillell sided design with short ogive, almost all bearing surface.
BIC/BS

beagle
08-31-2006, 10:21 PM
You didn't say how fast so I reckon you didn't chrony the loads. I'd hold them to under 2400 FPS. After that, you're normally outstripping your alloy. 2000 FPS works even better in my .223.

Everything sounds good on the loads including the 2400 and the 225415. It's proven very accurate in the .223 and a .222 M700 Remington that I had. WC820 has shot well for me as well as N110 and I had one lot of loads with 4198 that did well.

The .225" diameter is a must from my experiences. It's a good project./beagle

David R
08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
I use a .228 45 grain unsized Lovern type gas check boolit lubed in lee liquid Ear Wax.

I wanted ballistics of a 22 rf. I couldn't get accuracy until I got it up to 2100 or so. I have the same gun. Mike the inside of a fired case and see how big your chamber really is. Mine is .231. I also have the same long throat. J boolits are just in the case. I seat the lead boolit to book OAL. I tried all lengths and it didn't seem to matter, so I figured being mostly in the case it might get a straighter start.

I tired starting loads of unique and Red dot. I ended up at 8 grains Unique, a max load. I can get 2" at 50 yards if I clean the gun every 15 rounds. My barrel looks absolutly terrible. Pitts and wavy rifling.

Being a meat gun, I don't shoot it a lot. I am glad I spent the time to find this load. Those tiny 45 grain boolits and 22 gas checks are a test to my vision and fat fingers.

PM Sent
David

HORNET
09-01-2006, 12:29 PM
OK, Klaus
My .222 like about 10.5 gr of OLD 2400 or 14.5 gr of 3031 behind a 55 gr cast boolit ( usually the RCBS 22-055FN). The Lyman that Bullshop is thinking of is probably the 225462, which IIRC lists at 58 gr. Mine runs about 54 gr as cast out of ACWW for either the HP or standard and seems to be much less finicky than the RCBS . All sized at actual .2255 dia. with Hornady GC. YMMV.[smilie=1:
BTW, my old records show that I got groups around 1-1/2" at 100yd with my old 225415 out of AC lino pushed by 18.0 gr 4198. Gonna have to put a battery in the Chrony and recheck that some day when I get one of those TUIT things.[smilie=w:

Larry Gibson
09-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Gang,

First, the weapon in question is a Savage 24V, circa '67 or thereabout. Bores are in good shape; very minor pitting about 2" forward of the chamber in the rifle tube, but otherwise really nice. This weapon shoots j-words just peachy-keen; better than I ever thought it would. I have not done a chamber cast, but I can tell you that it has a really LONG leade. As in I barely seat the j-words, (the joys of a single-shot).

Second, the loads: Lyman 225415, ACWW, sized to .225; powders are 2400, IMR 3031 & H322, charges towards the faster end of the spectrum. The boolits are seated much deeper, if I were to try the same OAL as j-words, I would barely contain the gascheck.

Okay, to be honest I wasn't having the greatest day at the range with anything, but the expected accuracy just wasn't there. I suspect several things. First is the seating depth, not too much I think I can do about it as I don't want my lube grooves exposed and picking up pocket lint, etc. Secondly, I'm trying to push them too fast; sadly I didn't bring my notebook so I can't give you more information there. And finally, my diameter is too small to properly fit the throat.

So gang, how about a little help here, I realize that there are a LOT of variables, but could you guys point me towards a good starting point. Thanks in advance for any input.

-Klaus

I've a M24 about the same vintage as yours. Mine was rechambered to .223 in '70. I use 225415 in it also with good results. I also seat them so the lube groove is just covered. You don't mention The loads but I've found that loads that shot well in a M788 .222 also shot well in the rechambered M24 (both have 1-14" twists).

With the long and possibly over sized throat you have you might try just seating the GC and crimping it on while sizing the bullet as little as possible. I do this by pushing the GC end of the bullet a small amount into the sizer. Then apply a couple coats of LLA (let dry between coats) with fingers. My 225415 bullets drop at .226-7 of WWs so yours might to. The better the bullet fits the troat the better the accuracy will be with a long jump to the lands. Try those bullets over 4 gr of Bullseye which is a load that shoots quite well in both the .222 and .223. Velocity is 1550 fps +/- and it is my standard squirrel and grouse load for these cartridges. 4.5 to 5.5 gr of Unique also works but velocity picks up and the ES is not as good as with the Bullseye load. 17 gr of H4895 has been my standard high end load for this bullet with either cartridge.

Larry Gibson

sundog
09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Yup, that's the firstest thing I thought of -- what's the twist?

Also, seating really long, like only the GC seated, can and prolly will result in an out of round condition if you can't reach the lands.

If that's the case, then you have a jacketed bullet shooter, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sorta. sundog

David R
09-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Just thought I would let you know yesterday I shot a 50 yard group with my 24V for the 50 yard off hand match. 10 shots in 3 1/2" well centered. I have a williams peep installed on this gun and usually have nothing screwed into the hole.

At 100 from the bench those 2" 50 yard groups turn into 8".

I only use it for close shots. Still good for minute of squirrel at 25 yards. That is as far as I can see to hunt.

Will
09-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I like to use 18gr 4831 in the 222. I know it's too slow for the 222 but try it you'll be surprised at the accuracy.

klausg
09-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Guys, thanks for all of your responses. Unfortunately, hunting season comes early up here, so I'm way too busy filling the freezer to try everything now; hopefully it won't get too cold too fast this year and I can have a few good days at the range without freezing my a** off. For now I'll stick to j-words, that weapon really likes Nosler 55gr BT's and Sierra 50 gr spitzers. Thanks again, take care

-Klaus