PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best Cast Bullet Reloading Manual?

riverwalker76
08-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm looking to add a few reloading manuals to my library, and didn't know if there were any cast bullet books I need to look for.

I know that Lyman is coming out with it's 4th edition this Fall. Is the 3rd edition worth buying at this time? I borrowed it from a friend, and it looks like a good book, but are the loads still accurate with today's powders?

Also ... are there any other cast bullet handbooks I need to get and why?

08-10-2010, 11:12 AM
RCBS and the NRA books are out of print but can be found at auction sites.

Bob J
08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Can't go wrong with the Lyman..... I have the 3rd edition and it has worked well for me.... The only problems I've seen with it is some of the info is a bit dated and doesn't include newer calibers.... Eagerly anticipating the 4th edition.....

Artful
08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I have Lyman, RCBS and NRA books and say you should own all 3 if at all possible, I also collect the older reloading books that I can find.

Larry Gibson
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
RCBS and NRA books are sometimes found in used book stores. Also the SPG manual has some very good BP loading info with cast bullets of course. As to the Lyman cast book handbooks. I constantly reference them for my own information and for others. I have the Lyman cast bullet editions and several of the older ones. I find the older ones valuable because the current Lymans have mostly the faster burning powders where as the older ones have a lot of the medium and slower powders. Lee's manual also has a lot of load suggestions for cast bullets and is a decent source to have. With all the new powders that abound we are pretty much having to develop loads as we go for those. When researching loads I most often reach for Lyman's manuals first.

I also keep fairly detailed data on loads I've used over the years in many cartridges which is a reference I often use also.

Larry Gibson

mdi
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I got thr RCBS book at ebay. An excellent manual for casting is Beartooth Bullets' Technical guide, look on the Beartooth bullets site...

mtnman31
08-10-2010, 11:54 AM
The Lyman (3rd edition) manual is pretty good and I am eagerly awaiting the 4th edition. I also have a few of the older Lyman manuals. I have the RCBS cast bullet manual but personally, I found the RCBS manual lacking. If you are looking at having just one manual, get the Lyman (wait till the 4th edition comes out). If you want a good reference library for all things casting - buy up as many different manuals as you can, including the older ones, and read this website on a daily basis.

As Larry Gibson suggests, keeping notes on what works and doesn't is just as important a reference as any manual. My problem is keping my notes organized. I've got little yellow Post-it notes strewn about everywhere...

mroliver77
08-10-2010, 12:33 PM
The Lyman manual is always suggested but then we are informed that it is dated. I hope it is totally rewritten but I doubt it will be. Compared to what is common knowledge on this site it is terribly lacking. As has been stated ,the loads are mostly with fast pistol powders and a lot of them are just too hot to work. They still recommend too small of boolit sizes and leave out heat treating, believe that cooling a mold will warp it etc. Hopefully the new one will be a good reference for the noob as well as experienced caster.
I use many books and and take each load as a referance only.
J

jhrosier
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I like the Lyman 47th ed loading manual.
Taking into consideration that it is "dated", it is also a good source of data for many of the older calibers that got dropped from the current manuals.

Jack

Guesser
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Simply put: "there is no best". You will find something new and different and old and different every time you pick up a different one. Wolfe Publishing Co. offered as a premium some years back several compilations of casting information from a lot of sources. I have them and the information never stops flowing. The NRA publication by Harrison is very good. Some people say some information is "dated" and when I hear that I get the gut feeling that the wheel is about to be reinvented. We don't need to waste time and resources reinventing when all we need to do in most cases is tailor our tools, supplies and end requirements to fit what out goal is.
In summation: you can never have too many sources, don't stop collecting information, the newest is seldom the best.

qajaq59
08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I wont say it's "best" because everyone has an opinion. But I prefer the older Lyman. Although I'd like to buy the new one when it's available.

Papa Jack
08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Guesser is correct, Hit every used book seller you can find and check ever old reloading manual !! I also have the "Art of Bullet Casting" from Handloader and Rifle magazines. Published by Wolfe Publishing Company. ISBN# 0-935632-07-7 ( hard Bound ) or ISBN# 0-935632-08-5 ( soft bound ) . Published in 1981.
I have several other books as reference , including the great manual by Philip B. Sharpe, "Complete Guide to Handloading " It's pretty old by todays standards, but I have used many of the loads straight out of this book and they all worked very well ! And as a reference it cannot be beat, lots of good info..
In my opinion you cannot have too much reference material.

Wolfe Publishing Company, INC
PO box 30-30
Prescott, AZ. 86302

Not sure but last time I looked the book of bullet casting was still available, I may be wrong, seems like I saw it included in the last flyer for their books... "Papa Jack "

Guesser
08-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Another one that has been out of print a long time but has lots of info is"Handloading for Handgunners" by Major Geo. Nonte. it is a treasure trove of info on a lot of subjects we deal with n trying to get hand guns to shoot.
Look for a copy of "The Gun Digest book of Handgun Reloading" my copy is not very old(1987) but it has some good info.

220swiftfn
08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Guesser, I found "Handloading for Handgunners" and "Modern Handloading" at a used bookstore not too long ago, they are still out there if you look....

Dan

XWrench3
08-10-2010, 10:30 PM
i have not seen the rcbs one, so i can not comment on it. but the lyman one is a fabuolus information source. between it, several other reloading manuals, here, and one mentor, it is all i need, i think!

stephen perry
08-10-2010, 11:24 PM
This is the first edition. The Lyman 'Cast Bullet Handbook' can still be bought on e-bay. All the Cast manuals given work well. All the Lyman Reloading manuals have a Cast section. Seems every gun/outdoor mag has Cast articles from time to time.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

RobS
08-11-2010, 12:31 AM
A good manual for a cast boolit shooter is one that has data along with the pressures in it. Lyman's manuals have this and I've had the Lee book and too has pressures recorded. The Hodgdon online reload center is a good reference as well. Really it's good to have multiple manuals as you continue your reloading endeavors.

dromia
08-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Joe Brennan's compilation has some good stuff much of it from members here.

Its a free download too.

http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm

dromia
08-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Also don't forget our own Cast Pics site. Not so much a book but a series of most excellent chapters.

Butler Ford
03-17-2015, 05:15 PM
http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/CastBullets-s.pdf

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm