PDA

View Full Version : A curiosity!

hpdrifter
08-31-2006, 05:48 PM
I was fooling with my lube alchemy today. Made some regular white powder lube that I think will work ok. Yet to be tested; 3 parts hard beeswax, 2 parts Vegetable oil, ..... yall know the formula.

Then I turned my attention to some blackpowder lube. Wanted it softer/creamier so I used some soft white commercial beeswax, Murphy's Oil soap, and some vegetable oil with a heaping tsp of Lanolin to make a test run of about 4 oz.

Looked like it'd prolly work so I thought about making me some Moosemilk for the BP. I know this should prolly be towards the Muzzleloading forum, but I got an interesting reaction to a concoction I mixed up. I know yall prolly heard of moosemilk; water with some water reduced cutting oil and recently water cutting some Ballistol. Well, I got to thinking; mix the Ballistol(since I don't have much left) with some Shell water based cutting oil. I put one part Ballistol, 3 parts cutting oil, and 2 parts water and began to shake it up. It coagulated into a nice creamy mixture that is pretty darn slick and washes away and is dilutable with more water. Kinda looks like the old Brylcream, the hair grease, but not quite as thick.

I don't know if it'll mix with beeswax or not. Kinda run outta steam with different experiments today. I gotta get out and shoot some of me makins.

Maybe some more intellectual folks could see a use for this. It's really kinda neat.

shoot straight!!! and often.

LET-CA
08-31-2006, 06:04 PM
I admire you guys who can come up with workable lubes from some really unusual ingredients. I'm afraid that I'm stuck in the "buy a completed product" mode when it comes to most things.

georgeld
09-02-2006, 02:16 AM
Since the price of Lee's Alox is so cheap, thats' what I use.

In the b/p guns I use bore butter. A tube will last me more than two yrs and that's 50-60 shots once a month in match's for six months, plus about 100 shots practice per month. For $6 a tube even I can afford to buy factory blend.

So far I've yet to see any proof homemade is better. Only thing I don't like about bore butter is in hot weather it turns nearly liquid and is messy as hell. When it's cool, it's great.

That's the improvement I'd like to see/find.

StarMetal
09-02-2006, 10:19 AM
George,

You're dead on the money pardner. That 50/50 beeswax/alox mix is hard to beat. Making your own lube is a "headgame".

I agree with the Bore Butter statement. I use it and have just terrific results, except in hot weather it melts.

Joe

44man
09-02-2006, 01:45 PM
And then, if it the stuff in a tube, you have to run a truck wheel over the tube in real cold weather to get any out.

VTDW
09-03-2006, 08:00 AM
And then, if it the stuff in a tube, you have to run a truck wheel over the tube in real cold weather to get any out.

You can always warm it up by putting it in a pocket. When it is cold I put it in my shrrt pocket under my jacket/coat. It does help.

Dave