PDA

View Full Version : new rifle advice

ebert
08-08-2010, 05:21 PM
i am looking to purchase a new rifle in 38 caliber for recreational shooting only. but interested in very accurate rifles. i already have a couple sharps. i am interested in the new c sharps hepburn but their barrels are only in 15 twist which isn't fast enough. i would like to shoot a heavy bullet, maybe 375. i am looking for input as which way i should go. i am also thinking of upper missouri action, custom barrel, stock. i am a machinist, not a gunsmith, but have a friend who is. my options are almost unlimited so i am looking for the best possible shooter to build or buy. thankyou

montana_charlie
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Have you considered the Pedersoli Hiwall in 38-55?
The attachment has a write up about the bullet designed for it.

EDIT: Hmmm..the attachment didn't stick to the post.
Send me your email address and I'll get it to you.
CM

ebert
08-08-2010, 07:52 PM
i am really interested in a hepburn thankyou

NickSS
08-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Buy the hepburn and shoot 330 gr bullets. If you get to the point of wanting a faster twist buy a new barrel and have your friend screw it on. As the Hepburn is a new product that is about the only way you are going to get one unless you buy one of the hepburn action kits I saw advertisements for some time ago and make a custom gun. Personally I have owned a Hepburn original and shot it for awhile but did not like either their looks or the way is works. Some people like them but I don;t I guess that is what sells rifles personal preferences.

Don McDowell
08-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Go ahead and get the hepburn. As Nick says shoot the Lyman bullet for a while, and then buy , beg or borrow some of the heavier bullets. Twist rate claims from some corners of the world aren't exactly needed.
Case in point I have a Uberti made hiwall in 38-55, 18 inch twist , not supposed to be able to shoot anything heavier than the old 255,,,,, hehehe, this rifle hasn't read the internet so it don't know its' not supposed to be able to whack gongs out to 1000 yds with the lyman bullet.....