PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever cast using multiple moulds?

101VooDoo
08-08-2010, 12:05 PM
A couple of extra handles from Miha showed up yesterday, so I was thinking of trying to cast running a pair of his cramer moulds at the same time this week.

Seems simple enough:

Pre-heat both moulds
Fill one mould and set aside
Fill next mould and set aside
Empty first mould, re-fill, and set aside
Empty second mould, re-fill, and set aside
And repeat.

Is it really that simple? Any other TTPs I need to know?

Jim

RobS
08-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I voted occasionally. If the two molds I'm using works well with one another regards to the same alloy temp and casting rhythm then it's easy enough. I usually just cast one mold at a time though and find a tempo and alloy temp that keeps my mold at a casting temperature which enables me to fill and cut the sprue quickly and move on.

9.3X62AL
08-08-2010, 12:24 PM
More often than not, that is EXACTLY how I cast many boolits, esp. the 1- and 2-cavity mould designs. It helps to use dissimilar designs at such times, but similar weights--e.g., Lyman #311041 and #358429. The two-bangers maintain heat without getting too hot and taking forever to harden sprues.

My routine--fill mould cavities. Set filled mould down. Grab 2nd mould (aready filled), cut sprue, and drop boolits. Refill 2nd mould's cavities, and set down. pick up 1st mould, cut sprue, and drop boolits. Refill cavities, and set down. I cast at fairly low temps with most moulds, 675*-725*, and often am using 92/6/2 alloy.

About the time the moulds are getting too hot, the piles of boolits need to be moved off the landing towel and into their 1# coffee can storage units. At those times I also top off the furnace and let it come back up to temperature, then resume casting with the landing site cleared off.

And YES, it takes quite some time to fill a 1# coffee can with Lyman #257420s or RCBS 22-55-SPs.

frankenfab
08-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I do, sometimes. It doesn't always work out just alternating molds. If one is of a larger size than the other, it might have to cool for 2 or 3 castings of the other mold every once in a while.

An advantage of having a hot plate is you can pretty much keep 3 or 4 molds ready and cast with them as you wish. Most of my molds will give good boolets the first cast coming off the hot plate if I leave them there long enough.

Guesser
08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I do nearly every time I cast. I make sure the molds are the same material and the cavities close to the same size. That way my heat control is less problematic. Many of my molds are old Ideal or Lyman single cavity so casting is slow and production rate low but temperature is easy to maintain.

mooman76
08-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I use mostly Lee moulds and they cool off fast. I had to answer no I have never tried it. It isn't that I don't like the idea but I have never seen where it was neccissary for me because mine cool so fast and I keep a fast pace going.

RBak
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
My routine--fill mould cavities. Set filled mould down. Grab 2nd mould (aready filled), cut sprue, and drop boolits. Refill 2nd mould's cavities, and set down. pick up 1st mould, cut sprue, and drop boolits. Refill cavities, and set down. I cast at fairly low temps with most moulds, 675*-725*.........

Al, you described this method several years ago, if I'm not mistaken, and of course I had to try it back then.

My performance was much less than sterling as I was always picking up the wrong mould, and the mess I made grew totally out of proportion to my completed boolits so I eventually gave up....I still use two moulds sometimes, but I use one until the sprue starts to puddle instead of setting, I then put it back on top of the pot and use the other one until the same thing starts happening all over.

I can normally empty a 20# pot pretty quick with the proper rhythm, using two moulds, and still have very few throw-backs.

Russ

DIRT Farmer
08-08-2010, 02:00 PM
When casting for 45-70 it seems to take at least a minuinte for the sprue to set, 2 moulds are the way to go.

smokepole
08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Some years back I cast boolits for a local gun shop. I had two each Saeco 4 cavity molds in .358 and .429. I would start a run of one boolit and use the two molds, I would cast until the molds got too warm set it aside and use the other until it got too warm. And switch back and forth. It would not take long to empty a pot of lead.

I learned alot while I was casting for the gun shop. I could not keep up with the demand...but I had fun. Using two molds works great, and different calibers works also

Mike

101VooDoo
08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Some years back I cast boolits for a local gun shop. I had two each Saeco 4 cavity molds in .358 and .429.

Those are two of the moulds I'm going to try, the 382 and the 441.

Did you just drop them in the same box and then cull them together, or into two different boxes?

Jim

Hank10
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Yep, VooDoo, it's really that easy, been doing it that way for more than 50 yrs.
Turn on the pot (filled with lead) put molds on top, come back in about 1/2 hr.
start casting just as you described, with 2 four cavities in one hr. I'll have 800 bullets- maybe 2 or 3 rejects. I set my pot on 800 degrees and drop in another ingot as soon as the melt drops 1/4 or 3/8" or so. I also throw back in the sprues as soon as I knock them off. Temp depends on how fast you cast and how large your bullets are, that is, how fast your draining the pot. I cast standing, don't know how some do it sitting.
H10

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-08-2010, 03:57 PM
I have done it, but . . . most of the time I just use one . . . I do find that by using two molds that I tend to have better sprue cut off points, when I only use one I cut/rip off the bottom slightly . . .

captaint
08-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I do it sometimes. Depends on what I need. I only do this when the boolits are different enough that they can't (I can't) get confused. enjoy Mike

winelover
08-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Always, but I make sure I cast dissimilar boolets so as to be easier to separate. Say 44's and 38's.

Winelover

Rick N Bama
08-08-2010, 05:57 PM
It appears that I'm the only one that tried it & didn't like it. Maybe I'm just not fast enough or something for it just didn't work out for me. I think I need that few seconds break it takes for the sprue to harden.

Rick

Bent Ramrod
08-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Multiple mould casting works best with the larger lead pots, 20 lb and up. I usually cast several from one mould, then as it begins to show signs of incipient overheating (frosting, slow sprue cooling) I set that mould down and cast a few from the other one that has been sitting and cooling slightly. Picking them up in rotation to cast one boolit each is too much hand motion for too little effect, IME. I don't use a hot plate but put the handles and hinge across the edges of a peanut can so the blocks don't touch metal. Takes a while to get both moulds revved up to temperature but when both are warmed up properly, production can go pretty smoothly.

Exceptions are instances where I am trying to cast with a newly-purchased or historically troublesome mould, am breaking in a new or freshly lapped mould or the like. There I alternate working the balky mould with a tried and true performer so I have something to show for the time spent, even if the balky mould "wins" that round.

Mal Paso
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I started with 1 Lyman 429421 4 cavity and a Lee 20# bottom pour pot. That lasted about 1 session before I ordered a second mold. For me the rhythm was wrong and the mold got too hot. I asked BLT who said he routinely ran 2 molds and that did it.
The molds start on a hot steel plate and go back to it between sessions. I set the molds on a cedar block while I switch to the next. It's pretty much nonstop casting for 400 boolits. I cast from a swivel chair, everything close together. I preheat the lead but haven't set up s second melter because after 400 I Need a Break.
Nice to see what everyone else is doing.
The second mold? 429421 BLT thinks I'm caliber illiterate.

madsenshooter
08-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I couldn't cast with 2 molds using lil drippy, well maybe I could, but stopping the drip in between would require some timing, maybe a hot plate to keep the molds up to temp.

mooman76
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
When casting for 45-70 it seems to take at least a minuinte for the sprue to set, 2 moulds are the way to go.

If it takes a minute for the lead to harden then you are running too hot. If that works for you then fine but it doesn't need to be that hot.

Patrick L
08-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I almost always do. One mold is always the boolit I use most, the SAECO 301 .30 caliber TC. I use that boolit for highpower, so I need lots of them in a season. The other mold is whatever I happen to be getting low on, usually a .44 or .45 SWC, a .38 WC, or maybe a different .30 cal. If I cast this way until I have enough 301s for the season, I find I am always well ahead on all my other boolits.

The only time I cast with a single mold is if I get a new one and just want to try the boolits. Then I'll use Bruce B's speed casting system and cast until I have 100 - 150 or so boolits to experiment with.

Artful
08-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Two 20 pound pots and 2 or 3 gang molds used in rotation - I do pistol bullets make sure the are not close to looking like each other pointed 9mm, truncated cone 45, 38 swc etc.

troy_mclure
08-09-2010, 12:02 AM
ill set one mould on top of the pot to heat, then cast with the other till it gets too hot, then swap them out.

i do get a bit more culls this way so i dont do it too often.

Shiloh
08-09-2010, 06:15 AM
Yes.

Not always, but frequently.

SHiloh

XWrench3
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM
i do it occasionally. when i am casting .458" boolits mostly. i have 2 .458 molds, and they need time to cool between casting. it takes me several tries to get the timing right. but once i do, it goes quite smoothly, and i get a bunch of good boolits.

higgins
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
I routinely cast with two molds. The main advantage to me is that it allows me to keep production up while casting at a moderate rate with one or two-cavity molds, and it forces me to allow the sprue to cool sufficiently to prevent tearing the base of the bullet and smearing lead on the bottom of the sprue plate.

HeavyMetal
08-09-2010, 09:49 AM
With two Lee 6 bangers, cut for the same boolit, this style casting is the answer!

I have a Lee 10 pound pot mounted over a Lyman 10 pound pot and use the Lee as a feeder pot. This also works very well and if you have two pots I suggest you try it.

Now when I do HP's I stick with one mold as this is a labor of love not "Nascar" casting!

I also do my favorite 357 boolit with two molds only exception is one is a 2 banger the other a Saeco 3 banger.

Fly-guy
08-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I run one 20 pound pot and three molds. I take two types of breaks, the first is when the pot freezes up and the second type of break is when I quit! I plan to buy a second pot as soon as I decide which one will serve my purpose the best.

My mind set is that you can never cast too many boolits. Makim as fast as I can cause I have too and shootim as fast as I can cause I enjoy shooting.:bigsmyl2:

casterofboolits
08-09-2010, 10:38 AM
My standard casting procedure is to use three four cavity, six cavity or eight cavity moulds with two RCBS ten kilo pots. I usually cast two bullet styles at a time. Two Lyman 38-158-RNPB and one 38-150-SWCPB or vice versa, and have two dump boxes. Old Coca Cola wood flats lined with cardboard. One on the right and one on the left. Two molds dump to the left and one to the right.

I usually cast boolits of the same approximate weight as different weights need different pour speeds. IE: A six cavity H&G 09-125-TCPB or 09-125-SWCBB and two Saeco 09-125-RNBB. Two eight cavity H&G 200 grn #68's and an H&G 185 grn # 68.

I have a small squirrel cage blower mounted to the side of the bench and if the moulds get a bit too warm, I set the mould on the blower and continue the mould rotation for the other two moulds. By the time I dump and fill the other two moulds, the one on the blower is ready to go back into the rotation.

I've been doing this for 25 years and have the system down pat, for the most part. Sometimes I dump the third mould into the left hand box and have to take a break and fish out the Boolits. :groner:

I run less than 1% rejects.[smilie=w:

Centaur 1
08-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Seems simple enough:
Pre-heat both moulds
Fill one mould and set aside
Fill next mould and set aside
Empty first mould, re-fill, and set aside
Empty second mould, re-fill, and set aside
And repeat.

Is it really that simple? Any other TTPs I need to know?

Jim

This way works for me, sometimes I even get three molds going.

101VooDoo
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Well, looks like its definitely do-able, I'll give it shot this week.

Thanks everybody-

Jim

509thsfs
08-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Last Saturday I ran 3 moulds (.45 and 2 diff .38's) at the same time, Sunday I ran 2 (the two .38's). My normal routine is 2 moulds.

BLTsandwedge
08-09-2010, 07:18 PM
The second mold? 429421 BLT thinks I'm caliber illiterate.

Man cannot live on .44 alone.......

Mk42gunner
08-10-2010, 12:31 AM
I do it occasionally, my only proplem is that I have a very limited space to dump the molds. Definately use two very different molds, it is not much fun sorting a few hundred 358477 and 358429's.

If my supply of a couple of boolits that I don't use very much is low; I will cast them at the same time, as long as mold operating characteristics are compatible.

Robert

prs
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Run two 6 cavity 250gr molds in rotation and also use two 20# pots so that one recovers as I use the other. Starting at kick-off, I can cast a heap o' boolits before half time.

prs

GOPHER SLAYER
08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I always cast with at least two molds and sometimes three. I don't care what the lead mix is since I shoot whatever is in the pot for everything except muzzle loaders and I buy those. I quit casting round balls decades ago. When the pot is about one third full I throw in some pure lead and maybe a pinch or two of print type or 50/50solder. I use the ladle pour method of casting. I tried a bottom pour pot and it was too much trouble . It just wouldn't stop dripping. I never weigh the mix or check for hardness. If I pick up a lead bullet at the range I throw that in the pot also. I use an Alox mix bullet lube on all smokeless loads. I was given lots of it .I have little or no leading when using it. I use my own lube mix when shooting black powder. It consists of equal parts animal fat, bees wax and olive oil. It also prevents leading. I don't believe in making work out of what is supposed to be fun. Hey, it works for me.

357maximum
08-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I routinely cast with 2 moulds. Some moulds do not allow this but others seem to prefer it......it is up to the caster to figure the compatibility issues and his own needs out though. I ladle cast from 40 lb gas fired pots and it really helps me on alot of my sessions. Casting with 3 moulds has not panned out so well, so I stick with two moulds in designs that uses the same alloy and close to the same amount of it. Extreme differences in weight of the 2 designs does not work out real well for me, neither does big differences in number of cavities. Most of my moulds are 4 cavity BRP aluminum and that works well for me.

nonferrous
08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
I tried it for the first time yesterday. I was using a Lee 6 cavity 158 SWC and a Lee 2 cavity 148 WC and a 20 lb bottom drop pot.
As far as I was concerned, it was a handful, I seem to have a nice rhythm worked out with the 6 cavity, there never seems to be much dead time. I just started with the other because I needed a few wadcutters.
I am in South FL and it was about 95 degrees in the garage with high humidity, or I might just be getting wimpy in my old age.

Bradley
08-11-2010, 12:49 AM
There is an article in the 2010 gun digest that discusses this at some length.

StrawHat
08-11-2010, 06:28 AM
I learned how to cast with multiple loads when I was feeding a revolver competition habit, PPC to be exact. With two or three two cavity molds I could cast enough to get to the range. I still cast that way with the smaller molds but with the 6 cavity ones, I am only using one at a time. Maybe I need to get a bigger pot!

Recluse
08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Never tried it. Never will.

A: Casting is like Calgon time to me. Why be in a hurry?

B: I enjoy casting and reloading as much as shooting, sometimes more, so again, why be in a hurry?

C: Bad things happen when I get in a hurry, so why be in a hurry if I don't have to be?

:coffee:

dnepr
08-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I rarely cast with one mold at a time , only when I am doing something serious like hunting bullets , the last couple times it was 4 moulds , I like to get a rythme going where you cut the sprue , drop the bullets, close the mould up , refill and place it in order on a flat surface and move to the next already cooling mould , I think with this system you could cast with a lot of moulds .

Stork
08-18-2010, 04:11 PM
I always cast with at least 3 molds. I have 2 matched 4 cavity H&G 130 fb molds and 1 H&G 68 bb 4 cavity mold. Pretty much the same technique as others.

First set them on top of the pot while the lead melts. When the lead is up to temp I spritz the mold tops & interiors with Lyman moly aerosol and start casting. Usually the first 4 get dumped back in the sprue box but virtually every fill after that is good bullets.

Sequence:
1. Fill 1-set down
2. Fill 2-set down
3. Fill 3-set down
4. Knock off sprue #1, dump bullets, refill-set down.
5. Knock off sprue #2, dump bullets, refill-set down.
6. Knock off sprue #3, dump bullets, refill-set down.
7. Repeat #4-5-6 until the pot is empty or I get tired of casting.

FWIW

dragonrider
08-18-2010, 07:01 PM
I have tried it a couple of times but I don't think it is in the cards for me. Can't seem to shake my habit of holding on to one mold. I pretty much use Bruce B's speed casting method and each motion leads smoothly to the next one and I just go right past picking up the second mold.

Ekalb2000
08-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I swap out the 44 and 357 molds.
For me, I dont get the super fast production rate, but the boolits are better.

Dale53
08-26-2010, 12:51 AM
I mostly use multi-cavity moulds. I hate the cast with less than four cavities (other than the great MiHec hollow point moulds).

With my fan, I don't need to slow down for the mould to cool or the sprue to cool.

Using that little manicurists fan, my sprue hardens in 2-3 seconds (by the clock) and less handling (two moulds necessitates much more hand motion which slows casting down).

I keep a steady pace up and can empty an RCBS 22 lb pot in less than an hour using a MiHec six cavity or NOE five cavity mould. Most of the time, I only cast one pot full at a time. However, of late, I have returned to multiple pots full. In two hours or less of actual casting time I can end up with 42 lbs of finished bullets of match quality.

Now, of course, when I was shooting BPCR it took a bit longer. Then, I learned that LBT or NEI would make me a multi-cavity mould that would allow me to cast the large bullets in only slightly longer time than pistol bullets. Contrary to popular superstition, those bullets from multi-cavity moulds would SHOOT (like 6"-8" ten shot groups at 500 yards). I weighed my bullets and held QC to + or - .6 of a grain. That's less than .3 of a percent deviation. That's with a bottom draw pot and multi-cavity moulds. THAT technique allowed me to practice enough to be competitive at the sport.

Bottom line, by using the little fan, I can use one mould and actually turn out MORE bullets in the same amount of time with one mould and a lot less fatigue.

YMMV
Dale53