PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS & cast

Junior1942
08-31-2006, 06:46 AM
I ordered the reloading stuff for my 7.62x39 Yugo SKS. (New brass is high!!!) I'm thinking of using the 311041 at ~175 grs RTL. This will be a hog load so I want 100% feeding reliability. I need some load ideas for surplus 4895, WC820 (n), or 2400 or 4227.

Looks to me like I could start at 23 grs S4895 or 12 grs of WC820 or 2400.

I finally got the Williams Fire Sight set installed on the Yugo. The standard SKS Fire Sight set doesn't come close to fitting a Yugo SKS. Both front and rear need raising about .100".

I raised the front via gobs of epoxy. Had to cut out the top of the sight hood. The rear was easy to raise with the adjustment screw, but a straight line put through the center of the aperture tube intersected the barrel about six inches behind the front sight. I had to bend the base so the aperture was parallel to the bore. Had to shim the adjustment screw, too. Used a spent primer hull. The screw bottom ft right inside it, and it raised it enough to give extra elevation adjustment.

StarMetal
08-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Junior,

With the Lee 312-155 I'm using 26 grs of surplus 4895, that's all I can get into the Winchester cases. Buckshot uses more, but he has a different brand of cases that apparently are thinner.

I knew there were alot of things different on the Yugo SKS's, but didn't think the sight were that much. I'll bet those aftermarket scope mounts that are afixed to a receiver dust cover won't fit because those covers are for the Chinese ones.

Joe

Junior1942
08-31-2006, 07:59 AM
With the Williams Fire Sight front mounted with the screw provided, I had to file down, way down, the bottom rear of the rear peep in order to get the rifle to zero @ 50 yards. But that put the Line Of Sight just barely above the rear hump of the receiver. When sighting, I'd get a ghost image of the hump in the way of the aperture. Plus, I had to scrunch down to get my aiming eye level with the sights.

Now both sights are ~.100" to .125" higher, and when I place my cheek on the stock my aiming eye rests naturally level with the rear aperture, and there is no ghost image. I like it.

You're probably right about the scope mount.

Larry Gibson
08-31-2006, 11:06 AM
I ordered the reloading stuff for my 7.62x39 Yugo SKS. (New brass is high!!!) I'm thinking of using the 311041 at ~175 grs RTL. This will be a hog load so I want 100% feeding reliability. I need some load ideas for surplus 4895, WC820 (n), or 2400 or 4227.

Looks to me like I could start at 23 grs S4895 or 12 grs of WC820 or 2400.

Likewise I use 26.5 gr of H4895 with the Lee 312-155 in IMI cases for my Russian SKS. The 311041 will eat up powder capacity due to OAL required for magazine length. I used that bullet with success in a bolt action 7.62x39 but they were seated out and a single feed propasition. I also have vented the gas tube to reduce the violent ejection. The cases now land at 1-2 o'clock just a few feet from me. Velocity was not effeted.

I would like to try a 311440 in the SKS but I don't have the mould. It is a very flat nosed 150 gr bullet. Over about 25 gr of H4895 it shout run 21-2200 fps and hold 3-4 MOA. Should make for a nice close range hunting round.

Larry Gibson

TCLouis
08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
So just how much venting did you perform on that gas tube?

Larry Gibson
09-02-2006, 10:39 AM
So just how much venting did you perform on that gas tube?

Here's the directions.

Larry Gibson

SKS GAS TUBE MODIFICATION

SKS rifles are notorious for their violent ejection of fired cases. This may be desirable on the Russian tundra at 20 below but for the reloader trying to find the brass it is intolerable. The following modification will allow the rifle to function reliably yet will deposit the brass into a small area to the right front of the shooter. It also will lessen the hazard to bystanders. Velocity of the ammunition used is not effected.

Use standard 7.62x39 ammunition or the equivalent handload with 123-125 grain bullets when making this modification. The gas system of the SKS allows for more than enough gas port pressure to drive the piston back in the gas tube and cycle the action. This was designed this way to ensure absolute reliable functioning in extreme temperatures and conditions. What this modification does is simply to “vent” the gas after it has imparted enough motion to the piston to cycle the action with out driving it so violently back. As this modification vents the gas rather quickly the use of other than standard ammunition to regulate this cycling may cause malfunctions then when standard ammunition is used.

Attention cast bullet shooters: if you want to shoot really reduced loads with light bullets then regulate it with that. With Lee's 312-155 or heavier bullets I've found functioning to be fine with the conversion made for standard ammo. When medium burning powders (4895, etc.) are used and velocity is in the 1600 fps range I've not had any malfunctions.

To accomplish this modification it will require the following tools:

15 drill bits from #45 (smallest) to #31 (largest)
Center punch
Small round file
Electric drill, cordless or hand drill if power is available at range.

Before going to the range remove the gas tube from the SKS and take out the piston. On each side of the gas tube center punch .22” back from the face of the gas tube. Center punch .35” back from the face of the gas tube directly on top. Now drill each with the #45 drill. You will now have 3 holes, one on each side and one on top. The hole on top will be slightly further back from the ones on the sides. Deburr the inside of the tube with the file lightly and reassemble the piston into the tube and assemble it back onto the rifle. Load up the tools, ammo and rifle and head to the range.

Fire 5 rounds and observe the ejection pattern and how violent the action cycles. Drill out the top hole only using one size drill larger at a time. Test firing with at least 3 rounds between each drilling. You must disassemble the gas tube each time to drill.
NOTE:
I have found on several Russian SKSs that with 2 side holes of #45 size and the top hole of #31 size they will lay the brass into and area of about 3 feet diameter about 6-8 feet to my right front when shooting from a sitting position. The recoil of the rifle is much easier to manage as the action is not functioning nearly so violently. A couple have required the 2 side holes to be enlarged to #40 drill bit size.

Several Chinese SKSs have required an additional hole .3” behind the top one. If the first three holes have not “vented” enough gas then drill this 4th hole. Again starting with the #45 drill bit and going one size larger with a test firing each time.

CAUTION
It is easy to get impatient and drill to much too quick without adequate test firing, DON’T!! You can’t put the metal back. New gas tubes are available at gun shows and out of Shotgun News for a reasonable price. If you’re not sure of your abilities get one first and try it before messing up the original. I have not messed any up using the above method. I have one tube (original chinese tube that does fit the Russian with minimal fitting) that when used on my favorite Russian will lay the brass almost within arms reach.

StarMetal
09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
.......and if you have the Yugo SKS with the grenade launcher you just turn the gasblock off and cycle the bolt by hand like I do.

Joe

cropcirclewalker
09-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Did I read somewhere that a guy could remove the gas piston and cycle it by hand too?

I have a couple of Chinese and don't want to mess with the gas systems.

Junior1942
09-02-2006, 04:10 PM
In my Yugo SKS 7.62x39 a load of 23 grs of surplus 4895 & the 311041 @ 178 grs RTL sent 5 times over the Chrony gave:

AV = 1692; ES = 65

That was with reject bullets and a homemade 1.8cc dipper.

No pressure signs at all. I could go faster, but ~1700 fps is fine for 50 yard deer & hogs with a 178 gr cast bullet. Feeding and ejection of those rounds and later zeroing rounds were all 100%.

Believe it or not, that load shoots to almost exactly the same 50 yard POI as the Wolf 124 gr HPs. They're so close there's no need to change sight setting. I got me a keeper!

Junior1942
09-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I finally cast some of our fat 311041 group buy bullets and ran 5 through my new SKS and over the Chrony.

Bullet:

Nose = .302"; bands = .312"

Average ww alloy bullet weight naked = 176.37 grs

Average bullet weight RTL with gascheck, two coats of LLA, sized .311" = 181.2 grs.

Powder = 23.0 grs surplus 4895 weighed

AV = 1698 fps; ES = 28; SD = 11

This bullet is giving me more uniform ballistics than the Lyman 311041. It's giving 1.6% ES vs 3.8% ES for the Lyman.

Again, 100% action cycling and feeding. Zero pressure signs.

Junior1942
09-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Guys, check out the preliminary version of my Yugo article.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm

It's a long one.

StarMetal
09-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Junior,

Interesting article. I liked your hunting story too.

When I bought my Yugo it was listed as excellent condition. Mine came unfired too. The bore on mine was dead on .311 . I think that four groove cut rifling is just great for cast bullets too.

On that shutoff piston in the gas system it has a beveled face that matches the recess in the that gas tube housing and when everything is locked together it makes a good seal. My turned just fine. Also, although my action fit in the stock tight, it did come out easily. The one thing that I didn't like about the gas cutoff valve is when it was in the off position that damn buttom set high enough that my eye would pick it up too easy when using the iron sights. So I made me a new shorter one on my lathe. That solved that. Rifle now wears a scope.

When you cut your grenade launcher off did you recrown the barrel? Or maybe you just screwed the grenade launcher off. I screwed mine off and then cut the threads off in my lathe and recrowned it too. As I was tell 45 2.1 I've been messing with my SKS this week and trying to shoot a match group with it. I had three bullets that would cut one another, then the other two opened it up. This is at 100 yards. This will give you an idea of that they can shoot like.

About the weight thing. If you got a Russian (they have gone sky high in price because they are Russian) or a Chinese, they are much lighter to start with without anything cut off of them. I should have told you the fiberglass stocks weighted as much as the original wood, but you might look into one of those skeletonized stocks. Now those would have to be lighter you would think.

As an aside Larry Gibson and I have been corresponding on heavy bullets for the M1 carbine. I got my shooting 150 gr bullets that I swage from 150 gr 357 mag SWC's. Larry wants something subsonic, which I worked up a load for him. I can get them to go faster for myself.

I know another cool rifle for your "big dangerous hog hunts" , but it's a tad on the expensive side and that the Alexander Arms 50 Beowolf. It shoots a might big 50 cal bullet at the just right speed for hogs. Hey in TN here we have those big big Russian boars that go over 300 400 lbs easy. I haven't gone for them yet, but when I do my rifle will be my Brownchester 1886 carbine in 45-70. Know what, that rifle weight about 8 1/2 lbs empty, be another good hog gun for you.

All in all good article and I really like your style of writing.

Joe

Junior1942
09-28-2006, 08:30 PM
This afternoon using the 23 gr surplus 4895 and Lyman 311041 bullets, I shot a 3 shot, 50 yard group of 5/8" WITH the gas valve turned OFF. Looks like the weight of the carrier and bolt recoiling backwards affects the accuracy.

I lost the Williams WSKS rear in the woods when it snagged on something while I was cleaning out a stalking path down an old haul road. So I modified a Williams 94/336 5D and the Yugo's receiver cover, and my Yugo now has a new rear sight for my hog hunting trip in the morning. The 5/8" group mentioned above was the last zeroing group. I got tired of chasing brass and remembered the shut off valve.

StarMetal
09-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Junior,

I'll have to start calling you Innovative Junior.

Junior think about it. The bullet is already gone when that gas system and bolt start to work. The only difference that I thougth there could be was that the gas system would slam the bolt shut exactly the same way for each shot, where as manually working the bolt wouldn't. Believe, in my quest to extract every small inch of accuracy out of this rifle I've tried it both ways. Only thing I noticed was the recoil was a tad softer with the gas system activated. Mine you I shoot from a bench with rests front and rear for testing. I also think that no matter how much you try, you can't take your mind off where those casings are getting shucked too while your shooting with the gas system enabled.

Joe

Junior1942
09-29-2006, 06:16 AM
>I also think that no matter how much you try, you can't take your mind off where those casings are getting shucked too while your shooting with the gas system enabled.

True. I quit squirrel hunting with my 222 Rem because if I missed a squirrel I'd hunt the empty case instead of watching where the squirrel went.

I'm headed hog hunting with the Yugo this cool, 49 degree, morning. Persimmons are ripe in the river bottom, and I know where there's a big persimmon tree that was loaded with fruit last year.

Daryl
12-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Junior,

I liked the article, too. I have Murray's mod for both a Norinco and my Yugo. I went ahead and sent him the bolt to do it for me. It was worth it for an extra ten bucks (and he picks up the return shipping) and had a day or two turnaround time.

I never heard of the recoil pad but I'm going to order some of those soon.

Guys, check out the preliminary version of my Yugo article.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm

It's a long one.

Shiloh
12-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Geez.

Knew it was an old post when I saw Junior1942 by the thread starter. Haven't seen any posts from him in a while. I think he got P.O.'d and left. Merry Christmas Junior if you still lurk!! My best to you!!

Shiloh

FAsmus
12-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Junior;

I have a Yugo SKS too.

Through various experiments I have settled on the old Lyman/Ideal 311466 as my "magic" bullet. It casts at 0.312, I size on the GC @ 0.314 and load it over 23 gr Data 68 ( surplus powder equivilent to 4895 ). Loading single-shot with gas syslem "off" it'll reliably shoot into 2 inches at 100 yards all day long for months and months .. just clean the operating rod now and then or it'll get stuck in place.

The 311466 has no nose and there are lots of grease groves exposed but it feeds perfect at 2.200 over all length when shooting semi-auto and the bullet base remains right at the case shoulder.

Good evening,
Forrest