PDA

View Full Version : Woodsmans pal

Thumbcocker
08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Anyone have experience with the woodsmans pal? Seems like a well thought out tool but I would welcome any impressions from users.

Thanks

Finster101
08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
I have had one foa a couple of years now. Works great on palm fronds and most FL vegetation. I'm happy with it. Make sure you shop around though, pricing sure seems to vary a lot.

Shooter
08-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I carry one on my quad. Good tool, over-priced, so shop around. I like the hook for vines and briars.

freedom475
08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
It is not near as good as and ax for chopping and not near as good as a machette for brush..

But it is the best of both worlds... I have hand mine for years and really like it. I am going to make a sheath to carry it on my saddle for emergencies and clearing trails.

jmh54738
08-13-2010, 10:03 PM
There are several styles, the original with a hand guard, one w/o handguard and a junior size, I think, in both styles. I found mine under a tree more than 50 years ago, at the back line fence of our farm. Historically it is a military model sold outright at a PX. Over the years the leather washers which form the handgrip wore out and/or broke off. The company offers a full rebuild and sharpening which I did last year. They are nice people.
John

Shooter6br
08-13-2010, 10:39 PM
believe they are made in my state of Pennsylvania.the American Rifle man had an article on the history of them.......

jmh54738
08-13-2010, 11:16 PM
you're correct.......Pro Tool Industries, Pottstown PA www.woodsmanspal.com
John

yarro
08-21-2010, 11:02 PM
They are the best of the do all tools meant to replace a hatchet and machete. Like Freedom475 already said.

-yarro

10 ga
08-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Have had one for a long time. Mostly unused. If you get one get the plain wood handle as the one with the guard (like mine) is akward as the guard gets in the way. I would really rather have a machete or if needing something bigger a chain saw. My replacement for the Pal has been a "bush hook" or "bush axe" with the handle cut off to a convenient length. A lot cheaper and just as good. My $.02. 10 ga

missionary5155
08-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Good morning
Mine is a ex US Military "Bird Dog" 1962 model I have had for many years. As long as you treat the leather washer handle as you should any leather handle washer knife they hold together just fine.
They are a compromise tool & great for long term survival . As an everyday tool they do knicely. Short heavy bladed it will take care of most misc chopping. The military sheath carried a OK sharpening stone which clipped on the standard web belt.
I have used mine from swamp weed chopping setting up a stand to splitting wood to start a fire and cutting paths through underbrush to my crow blinds. No complants. Blade stye is copied here in South America in a thinnner blade lighter weight version with a wood handle... I removed the hook portion of the copy here and my wife & I use it weekly for misc wacking & chopping.

fishnbob
08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Mine is a Vietnam era that I have had since the late 60's. I like it for limbing up trees on the way to the deerstand and clearing out shooting lanes. I like it's portability and keep it on the ATV all the time. For vines & briars, I prefer the brush hook or brush axe. My 2 cents worth.

Shooter
09-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I just picked up a cane knife at Tractor Supply. It looked a lot like the Woodsmans Pal. Seem to cut as well, though not as heavy.
At $10, I would suggest anyone considering the WP to try this first, before you spend big money. I am not saying it is as good, just you will find out if this type of tool is what you want.