PDA

View Full Version : Need thread size for Lyman All American turret press shotgun die hole

Swagerman
05-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Can one of you fine gents help me out on this elusive die hole smaller thread size on an All American turret press that has 3 regular 7/8X14 threaded holes...and this one off size larger shotgun die hole size is even unknown to Lyman.

Better yet, can one of you make me a reducer bushing that will fit this darn die hole so I can use a regular 7/8X14 die in its socket.

I guess I could take the turret off and drive 50 miles to my closes machine shop, but that would entail two trips.

Swagerman

kenjuudo
05-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Swagerman--PM sent.

jim

Char-Gar
05-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Can't help you with the die size, but can offer a solution that won't cost an army and a leg. RCBS A2 and Rockchucker presses are drilled and taped for these large dies shotgun dies and come with bushing to use regular dies. I am suprised that Lyman doesn't carry these for their presses.

You can buy such from either RCBS or Huntington Die Service.

StarMetal
05-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Charger

I have a set of those dies for 20 gauge for my Rockchucker press. They make darn good shotgun ammo, slow, but very good quality. If you're just loading a few for hunting, be it shot or slug these are it. Now a trap or skeet shooter would need a progressive press.

Joe

Swagerman
05-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Fellow boolit casters, Kenjuudo is fixing me up with a Lee Classic bushing, plus, he's drilling and tapping this freaken weird size Lyman shotgun die hole in my turret to accept the Lee Classic bushing.

There are probably very few of these type of AA Lyman presses with this crummy shotgun die hole...but of course me buying one from ebay the seller never said it had this problem...and I bought it at a preamimum price.

But soon I will have four die hole stations on my All American turret press and they will all be 7/8X14 threads...Hooray!

Thanks, Kenjuudo.

================================================== ========

Turret arrived today and is back on my Lyman AA press, I can't begin to express my gratitude to Kenjuudo (Jim) for converting this turret to accept the Lee bushing, which now accepts normal 7/8X14 standard dies.

Thank you very much.

Swagerman :) :) :) :) :)

Straycatcdr
07-31-2008, 01:08 PM
I own one of the presses as well. Is the shotgun die hole a standard 1 1/4x12 shotgun die hole? I'm measuring 1 1/8 inch across. I contacted Lyman. They said these presses were made, but that they were really a bad idea. The tech at Lyman though it was a standard shotgun size. I'm confused about the size of the hole.

cabezaverde
07-31-2008, 04:03 PM
I would love to get a set of 10 gauge dies i could use in a press.

floodgate
07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Swagerman; Straycat:

There seems to be NO standard thread for the shotshell dies. I checked a Lachmiller 12-ga. setup and found it to be 1-1/4" x 18 tpi. My RCBS Rockchunker is threaded 1-1/4" x 12 tpi; and the Lyman All-American Turret press on my bench has one station threaded 1.095" x 28 tpi for their shotshell dies! A set of shotshell dies for my older Lyman [QU]EZY-Loader uses the 7/8" x 14 tpi thread for seating and crimp forming, but the main shotshell sizing die is a separate operation.

floodgate