PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 45 degree #3!

RMulhern
08-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Gentlemen:

OK....here's what's taken place with me attempting to recut the 45* out of my 45 2 7/8 Shiloh to a 7*! I attempted this by hand....and the main reason for the 'screw up' was because I DID NOT HAVE a bushing made to keep the rear of the reamer IN-LINE WITH THE BORE!! Here's a photo of a bushing made to fit the shank of a reamer that Kurt was kind enough to send me:

http://a.imageshack.us/img294/4995/chamberbush.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/i/chamberbush.jpg/)

This bushing is made to fit the shank of the throating reamer and fits down into the cartridge rim cut keeping the rear of the reamer straight while working! Orville also uses a bushing and I believe his must be a split bushing that fits the shank of the throating reamer and the large end of the chamber. The shank of the reamer can also have a 'stop' made to fit it to assure the depth gone down to.

What has happened with my 'screw up' is that due to the fact that the reamer was not cutting straight.....and also the fact that it was a finish reamer instead of a throating reamer is that two or three of the beginning portions of the lands have not been tapered down at all....or...very little! The Hawkeye reveals this really good! In talking with David Christman my rifle builder...he advises that he thinks he can correct this with a throating reamer but is not sure! This depends upon what Orville has told me....provided that I did not OVAL SHAPE the bore!! Kurt has informed me that a 5* taper....which should work since I've started with a 7* taper would have about .128" free-bore which doesn't make a whole helluva lot of difference to me as long as the problem is corrected! Kurt has a rifle or two with this taper and his shoot 'lights out'!! So...it looks as if I will be ordering from Dave Kiffe a throating reamer to correct my screw up!!

So those of you possibly considering this operation....should take heed in reference to the problem I created by not doing things the right way to begin with!! Sometimes we're not nearly as sharp as we think we are!!

FWIW!!

montana_charlie
08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Kurt,
I went to the Shiloh site to see Rick's pictures and it looks like he followed your method.
But, it looks like he had an entire chamber reamer built...not one that just cuts in the throat area.
I would be afraid to use something like that when doing it 'by hand' for fear of enlarging a dimension that I don't want changed.

CMWhat has happened with my 'screw up' is that due to the fact that the reamer was not cutting straight.....and also the fact that it was a finish reamer instead of a throating reamer is that two or three of the beginning portions of the lands have not been tapered down at all....or...very little! The Hawkeye reveals this really good!

Uh huh...

Sorry to hear that, Rick. I suspect your chamber is somewhat egg-shaped, now. Can you rechamber a case that has just been fired?

CM

Don McDowell
08-04-2010, 09:26 PM
You know Rick , as that's a bull barrel, your smith should be able to lop a bit off the chamber end rethread it and use your chamber reamer to cut a new chamber.
;-) Betting alls not lost afterall.

RMulhern
08-05-2010, 12:21 AM
You know Rick , as that's a bull barrel, your smith should be able to lop a bit off the chamber end rethread it and use your chamber reamer to cut a new chamber.
;-) Betting alls not lost afterall.

Don

If it were 34" I wouldn't mind that at all however it's got a 30" tube and I don't think I want that short of a barrel!

Take care!

Don McDowell
08-05-2010, 12:25 AM
You'ld still end up with a 28 ish incher and that was standard way back when......

RMulhern
08-05-2010, 12:30 AM
You'ld still end up with a 28 ish incher and that was standard way back when......

Don

If I had my 20 year old eyes again....that might would be feasible but at 70....I need all the help I can get with long sight radius!!:drinks::mrgreen:

Don McDowell
08-05-2010, 12:41 AM
can you say SCOPE? :)

RMulhern
08-05-2010, 07:59 AM
can you say SCOPE? :)

Got one; don't like it!! Not as long as I can still see with the irons and still.....the 'peepers' are still working good! Not like 20 but well enough to do this with irons:

http://a.imageshack.us/img84/8908/gd2x.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/i/gd2x.jpg/)

There's 11 shots there! Count the holes![smilie=1::drinks::grin:

cajun shooter
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Rick, I don't think you have any eye problem. That is one target that shows some excellent shooting.