PDA

View Full Version : any feedback on russian primers?......

Chapped Lips
08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
i see natchez and graf are carrying TULA primers....now,what i've read is that tula cartridge has been around 100 yrs producing ammo - no doubt some of that stuff has been brought to bear at me and others on this forum-.....wolf primers are from tula & appear to be well accepted by the US market...my ques is....
has anyone here tried TULA primers?
they are boxer style and non-corrosive.

mpmarty
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
No problem with anything shooting related from the Rodina.

gray wolf
08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I had a thread going a short time ago about the wolf primers, all my testing told me they were a softer primer. ( very flattened with Minimum loads ) same with the federal with the same loads.
I just opened box # 3 of the 3,000 Wolf I had. I have had no problems and accuracy is just fine. They just seem to flatten out like a hot load, but I know they are not.
I like them, If they are TULA in a different box so be it.
I may try TULA the next time I need some, and that will be soon.

Sam

chris in va
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Just finished up a 1k box of Wolf SP, no problems...all rounds go bang like they should. $5 cheaper at my store too.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Now have one in roughly 100 that fails to go off with a hammer fired pistol. One took three strikes before it went off.

Ruckus Ralph
08-04-2010, 04:55 PM
i have shot probably 10,000 of the wolf SP with only 2-3 that did not fire... I have had that number or more of federal SP in the 4,000 that I have loaded.
I would not hesitate to use them again.

shootinxd
08-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Never had a primer fall out til I started using Wolf Small Rifle primers in my 223.Only 2-3 in 3k but I will go back to Remington,or Winchester.

Bloodman14
08-05-2010, 12:50 AM
I personally would not hold components hostage to past differences or politics. FWIW.

truckmsl
08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Lots of problems with striker fired pistol with wolf primers. Not so much with conventional firing pin guns.

CiDirkona
08-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I had a huge problem with Russian primers to the extent that every third would light strike in my glocks. I was able to get them to light consistently by seating them VERY hard, but I had to seat them so hard with my Lee 1000 press that with the short handle, I quickly had a sore hand and arm. I gave the rest away as an example of what not to buy. The couple dollar savings isn't worth my aggravation -- and I reload on Lee presses!

BLTsandwedge
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
+1 on Gray Wolf. In the 610 with moderate loads (401638 over 7.3g Power Pistol) the Wolf primers flatten to the point of locking the revolver up. Not really bad- but it's an issue when you've got to push the cylinder open after two or three rounds 'cause it won't turn.....

Other than that, Wolf has been fine in all the rest......................

JeffinNZ
08-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Folk are winning CBA matches with them.

Pirate69
08-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Couple of things to note about Wolf primers. First of all, measure the diameter of the Wolf primer. You will probably find that it is 0.0005" greater than the corresponding primer that you are using. This one of the advantages of Wold primers; they are great for primer pockets that are enlarged and will not hold a US primer. Second, since they are slightly larger than US primers; there is a tendency to not seat them properly. This can lead to a misfire on the first attempt to fire. Before we take shots at Wolf primers, let make sure that the problem is not with the reloader. They are a very competitive product where you look at the SD of reloads.

Mal Paso
08-07-2010, 12:36 AM
I have used about 8,000 of the Wolf Large Pistol Primers ( KVB-45 ) with maybe 20 misfires. More than half would fire on the second strike. Hard Primer? They are a much tighter fit than Federal or CCI and it could be I upset a couple in seating them. I think they are a good value and it's nice to have all the primers facing the same way. The 6 batches of Federal and CCI I've used were a better with almost 0 misfires but I shot a lot of Wolf's waiting for ATK Primers. Accuracy? I'm not good enough to tell but I get upset if it doesn't go bang. I've had 2 really defective batches of primers from the big W and one from Brazil.

AzShooter
08-07-2010, 01:47 AM
I've tried the Wolf primers in a few of my revolvers. They work fine in my Model 29 that has a standard trigger that's been smoothed but not lightened.

In my 686 they would not fire with my 4.5 lb trigger job but when I redid it to 6 lbs they fired fine. Trigger return worked perfectly as well.

In my competition Model 627 with a 4 lb 3 oz trigger they are a definate no go. Tightening the strain screw screws up the trigger return on this gun so I can only shoot Federal primers in it. Not a problem since I have 50 K Federals. Too bad they are packed away for my move this week and all I could find were the Wolfs.

Fortunately I got to the range an hour before the match and was able to test my gun. Good thing I had my backup with me.

Mal Paso
08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I just ordered a case of TULA Large Pistol Primers from Powder Valley. The Invoice came back KVB-45. Exactly the same Part Number as Wolf.

BBA
08-25-2010, 08:17 PM
If I read it right at Natchez there is 500 primer to a box.

Mal Paso
08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
If I read it right at Natchez there is 500 primer to a box.

All the primers I see are 1000/box but it looks like I paid $2.50/box too much unless shipping is high. I checked Natchez before I ordered and Tula wasn't listed under primers. I just did a search on the Natchez site for Tula and it looks like they have everything in stock CHEAPER!

BBA
08-26-2010, 09:53 AM
The Email flyer lists them as 500 to a box +/- $18.99 for the standard and more for mag primers. The Wolf primers I have were about that for 1000.

Adam10mm
08-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Used several thousand Wolf SRM in the .223. Never a problem. Now I use them for hot 9mm Luger rifle only loads to use them up (have 8K left).

Used a case (5K) Wolf LP in the .45 ACP. Never a problem.

You do need to make sure they are seated square and all the way.

mpmarty
08-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I bought 30k Wolf LP primers before our fearless leader emerged. They work for me as well as any other brand. I even use them in light loads for the 45/70.

AF FAL
08-27-2010, 10:29 AM
I contacted the guys at Powder Valley before I bought Wolf primers to ask about reliability and so forth. I had been reading about bench rest guys using the Wolf stuff for quite sometime and doing exceptionally well.

So the folks at PV gave me the skinny. The Wolf Primers will be at the outer limits as far as diameter, but are shallower than most US brands, so they need to be seated deeper. According to the gent on the phone, peeps not seating these primers correctly (deep enough) accounts for most of the problems with falling out, misfires and so forth. He said Lee will tend not to seat the Wolf primers well, and sometimes one of the Redding presses ( I forget which one), he said the RCBS and Dillons are pretty much fool proof with Wolf.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I was told. That being said I have not had any problems thus far with rifles, or semi auto pistols. I have one SW 610, but have not had any issues with near Norma loads in that with the Wolf either.

c3d4b2
08-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I believe Bob Jones was the original importer. We were considering purchasing some and Bob's recommendations were the same as AF FAL reported.

They had 2 types of small rifle primers at the time regular and magnum. Bob said both primers had the same primer charge. The only difference was the magnum had a thicker cup. T believe the service rifle magnum is the same as the old magnum, but verify this for yourself.

We have had good luck with them, but that does not mean other have not....

BCB
09-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Well, I think I am going to give the Tula primers a try...

I don't shoot for benchrest accuracy with my handguns and I don't shoot rifles much anymore as my right eye is near gone...

I am hoping for the best when it comes to handgun and cast stuff...

The reason for the Russian stuff is because the CCI stuff is mostly not in stock. I don't know how long one would wait and they may never get in stock...

So, hopfully the Russians will work O.K. Seems strange buying them, doesn't it?...

BCB

wistlepig1
09-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I got 2500 wolf SR before BoBo took office and have used alittle over 500 of them, to this point not one FTF. That's a small sample but if I do have a problem I will tell that too!

Doby45
09-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I have used over a 1000 SPP and a 1000 SRP. Just go tmy order of 5,000 more in from that awesome Wideners sale..

2ndAmendmentNut
09-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I have used Wolf brand small pistol magnum primers. They seem to be reliable and I can’t tell a difference accuracy wise. However I did have some failures to fire in some DA revolvers. These few primers just would not go bang no matter how many times I tried. In the end I broke down these duds and loaded the primers into a few 9mm cases and fired them all off without a hitch in an XD. So as far as I can tell the primer cups on the Wolf primers are harder then even CCI. I would use them again, just not in my DA revolvers unless I had to.

Rusty Shackleford
09-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I bought some Tula LPP's a while back. Loaded fine and all went bang.

Jodykid
09-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi, Guys. I loaded up 200 rounds of 9MM for my Glock 34 and 3or 4 out of very ten round mag would not fire. I do have a Wolff light striker spring. About one out of 1500 Win SPs won't fire and all Fed SPs fire OK. The Wolf primers work fine in my Contender.

Joe

chris in va
09-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I posted earlier but want to update after using 2000 Wolf primers.

Had one bonafide dud yesterday at the range. Hit it several times, good indentation on the primer, nothing.

Also had 5 misfires in 200 rounds, hard to say if it was due to seating or just being hard like their rifle ammo. I've never had issues with CCI and will no longer buy Wolf primers.