PDA

View Full Version : New barrels are shooting great

elk hunter
08-03-2010, 06:27 PM
After many months and lots of hours of work on a new set of barrels for my T. Turner 500-450 black powder express, the payoff came the past two days at the range. Considering my shaky hands and less than stellar eyesight, I was able to shoot the kind groups that are as good as I could have hoped for. The pictured fifty yard group may not impress some people, but it took me several trips to the range and quite a few rounds to get the barrels to shoot this close together. I threw the one shot out as I was getting a little recoil sensitive having fired about twenty rounds off the bench. I shot similar size groups the day before, but had to machine off the rear sight base to get the groups nearer the point of aim.

The wife shot the last eight rounds offhand at pop cans at about sixty yards. One close miss, seven pop cans sent flying over the backstop. She has been waiting for me to finish the barrels as this is her favorite double and the one she wants to shoot this month at our local big bore shoot. I think she might just consider this one hers from now on.

The only thing left to do is finish polishing the barrels and then rust blue them.

scb
08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Excellent work. I've regulated a few double rifles and it can be a real bear. Good job.

44man
08-04-2010, 07:42 AM
How I would love to shoot that one too! :drinks:
Great job.

elk hunter
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
How I would love to shoot that one too! :drinks:
Great job.

44man,

If you ever get to Central Oregon look me up and you can shoot it.

NSP64
08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I would have to throw out all my shots for flinches:groner:

Echo
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Envy!!!!