PDA

View Full Version : New to casting, Great Site!

libertyman777
08-03-2010, 04:48 PM
New guy here, new to casting. I've come in to some casting equipment and feel that it's time to give it a go. My plans are to cast for my .38 and 9mm pistols (may pick up a .357 too). I'm also interested in casting for my rifles, especially a 7.5 Swiss K31 to hunt deer and hogs with. It looks like there is lots to learn.

So far my equipment is limited to a lead pot for melting (older Lyman) and a Lyman Lube Sizer. I don't have any experience with either but I have used Lee equipment in the past (for centerfire loading) and like it a lot. I've priced their molds and sizer but haven't bought yet. Any input is welcome and I'm going to have a look around.
Thanks,

Paul

DLCTEX
08-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Warning! Boolit casting is addictive. But enough fun you won't care. Do a lot of reading in the archives, ask questions, there is a wealth of knowledge here. You can get a PHD in casting right here.

No_1
08-03-2010, 06:15 PM
The typical Chevy Vs. Ford thing. You will hear good and bad for every equipment manufacture out there. Like everyone else Lee makes some good stuff. Some have good luck with it and some don't like it. Lee's price is always good and for someone that is getting into casting you can't go wrong since you are not out of much $$ if you don't like a mould you have purchased from them. I suggest you start with some of their stuff then keep your eyes peeled here in the Swappin N Selling section for more stuff.

R.

libertyman777
08-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I'll do that. Thanks!

Paul

captaint
08-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Yep - Chevy enjoy Mike

RobS
08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the forum. I would start with the 38 special first has it is an easier cartridge to load for vs the 9mm and your molds and dies should you get a 357 mag will be in place to tackle such adventure.

Also take a good look at the stickies in each section as they will cover a bulk of questions that are sought after by people just getting started. This is also a great read regarding casting and shooting cast boolits.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

jmsj
08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
libertyman777,
Welcome to the site.
I have been a shooter, hunter, reloader and gun tinkerer since I was very young, but nothing has caught my attention like bullet casting.
This is absolutely the most informative place I have found and the guys here are great. I have more than a years supply of bullets under the reloading bench and I am still casting more boolits, hunting down lead and trying to buy different molds.
Welcome to the madness, jmsj

Echo
08-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Welcome, libertyman777, to the best site on the web. As Will Sonnet used to say, 'No brag, just fact'.

I started casting way back, but really started advancing my knowledge and involvement once I found this site. I just got my renewal notice from Handloader magazine, and they were also suggesting their Casting CD, for $27.95. No thanks. Even though I'm sure it is worth it, as long as I have this site, I am complete. Well, in regard to casting, anyway.

The equipment you have now will get you started, and you will be able to cast and lube/size good boolits with that. Even so, you will probably find that you need more - and more - &cetera. It is truly an addiction, but a good one.

+1 for starting with the .38 Special. It, and the 30-30, are probably the two easiest rounds to cast an load for. I just loaded 441 popcorn .38 loads for my son to use in teaching his wife to shoot. Three grains of surplus 200 under a 93 gr RNPB boolit. I haven't chronied the load, but it is probably in the 500-600 fps range.

But I have also loaded some 125 gr TCPB commercial cast over a load of 2400 that I won't publish. Stout! And so on...

Read all the stickies. After reading all the stickies, read them again, and your casting education will be well on it's way.

Wayne Smith
08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I agree, start with the .38. Do a search on loading for the 9mm here, read all of the plethora of threads, and then re-think if you want to. I'm not saying it's not doable, it is. It's just not beginning boolit loading. It is advanced boolit loading.

R.C. Hatter
08-07-2010, 11:18 AM
:coffee: Welcome to you sir. I suggest you start with .38 Special first. You will find a bunch of very nice folks here who will give you advice. You need only to ask politely.