PDA

View Full Version : Sweet's 7.62 vs. Wipe-Out

Char-Gar
08-03-2010, 12:02 PM
There is nothing like trying to decopper a 110 year old Krag barrel to test a man's resolve. My newest Krag, like all others that have come my way, was badly copper fouled.

I have used Sweet's 7.62 since it came here from the Land of OZ and found it far superior to anything else available over the counter. So, I went after the barrel with Sweets and after two days I seemed to be making no progress.

So, hearing good things about Wipe-Out, I ordered out a can from Brownells along with some other stuff. I used it last night and the patch was blue, blue, blue. I gave it another application and let it sit overnight. This morning I pushed it out and the patch was blue, blue, blue so I gave the barrel another application and waited an hour. This time the patch was very faint blue.

So, to make certain I used Sweet's one last time as a double check and the patch came out clean as a whistle.

So no doubt about it, Wipe-Out wins by a very large margin.

dromia
08-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I have to conur with you there mate, Wipe Out is on my bench for guns just like your Krag. It cleans out everything including leading and BP fouling with out the effort.

For normal cleaning I use Ed's Red and 10% ammonia swab about, but for the oldies its got to be Wipe Out.

I find the accelarator and Patch out to be just as good but more economical than the foam.

fredj338
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I started using WO about 2 yrs ago, I'll never go back to any other copper cleaner. Magic!

Char-Gar
08-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I also like Ed's Red for ordinary powder trash as it works so well and is so cheap to make. I will reserve the Wipe-Out for decoppering jobs.

Blammer
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I like wipe out for the fact it protects the brl too. :)

Lloyd Smale
08-04-2010, 07:31 AM
another big fan of wipe out for copper fouling.

gray wolf
08-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I also like the wipe out, I use the patch out now with the accelerator.
Both are liquids and you get a nice jug full of each. Couple a drops of the patch out then a couple drops of the accelerator on a patch. Works very fast.

Sam

qajaq59
08-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Hmmmm, after reading all your comments, it sounds like something I should try.

mike in co
08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
i use sweet's7.62 but i do not use a patch. i use the rcbs nylon neck brushes.
patches spread the stuff, but dont work the stuff at the bore surface.

works for me.....some day i'll buy some wipeout, but not today.

mike in co

gray wolf
08-04-2010, 11:29 AM
MIKE

You shouldn't need a brush with the wipe out, (chemical reaction )
That's why you leave it overnight. A lot less time with the accelerator.

scrapcan
08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I just bought a can a few weeks ago to go after the 98/22 8mm barrel. I have tried numerous times to clean it up with all kinds of stuff. It has so much carbon and jacket fouling it is like looking at the growth rings in a tree. Maybe the WO will do the trick that the host of other things tried were slow at getting done.

roysha
08-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Is this that stuff in the can that is a foam? If it is I guess I'm missing something because the foam product is the biggest PITA I have tried to use in 55 years of shooting and cleaning guns. For my money nothing beats Sweet's. NOTHING!! (I am referring here to copper removal)

Artful
08-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Yep wipeout
http://www.sharpshootr.com/ACC-WO-22-cal-ROD-FRONTsmal.gif
http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/wipe-out.htm

seems to work well with that 7.62x54 russian surplus I use.

Hang Fire
08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
To each their own I guess, but last night I tried PB Blaster on the bore of my MN. I have to say after a couple hours saturation and a good scrub, I could not believe the copper fouling and crud that came out. After a few swipes with tight dry patches, the final ones remained clean, before they were always dirty no matter what. That bore is now clean and shiny as I have ever seen it, and that was the real surprise, just how good the bore looked after cleaned up.

Con, that stuff does stink.