PDA

View Full Version : I Done It Again

tom barthel
08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
I was reloading my .444 in the garage and decided to quit. I reached for my jug of IMR 4895 and dumped my loose powder in it. Problem is, I was using another powder. I really DON'T like dumping my powder on the lawn but, that's what I did. Now, I will have to work up a decent load in wc 844 (h-335). Sure hope I don't mess that powder up. Is there an Eastern Oklahoma source for cheap powder?:groner: :groner: :roll:

RugerFan
08-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I did that once and hopefully never again. I poured IMR 4227 in a 4064 can. Both were blue cans, but a different shade. I hate to waste powder like that. I've been more careful ever since.

StarMetal
08-28-2006, 10:59 PM
The old IMR 4227 cans use to be Grey. I can't believe they would have two different powders in the same color cans, or was it Hodgedon 4227 and IMR 4064?

Joe

oksmle
08-29-2006, 12:00 AM
"Is there an Eastern Oklahoma source for cheap powder?"

Tom.... Where are you located? The big gun shop in Poteau still handles powder. And I believe the Pawn shop on the main drag in Hartshorne does also.

oksmle

Char-Gar
08-29-2006, 07:43 AM
You did it AGAIN! It should only take once, to follow the rule not to have more than one powder can on the bench at any time.

I have been reloading for almost 50 years and have never put the wrong powder into the wrong can. Powder is not stored on the bench and I never take out one powder until the other is put up.

Handloading and skydiving have a few things in common. One of which is if we don't pay attention to the details we will end up dead or maimed.

Yesterday, the pilot at Lexington Ky, took off on the wrong runway and killed 49 out of the 50 people on board.... He was a highy trained, highly skilled professional... gotta watch those details boys! Follow the rules every time, check and recheck, it may take an extra minute but Murphy will get you if you don't.

45 2.1
08-29-2006, 07:58 AM
That would make a great sermon Chargar.

Junior1942
08-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Keep only one can of powder on your bench--the can you last used or are using. keep the rest on the shelf above the bench.

If you did it once, you probably did it before. . . .

felix
08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I go several steps further. Powder in one closet and primers in another, both downstairs from the reloading room. I pick the powder and go upstairs, and come back down to get the primers. NO exceptions. I have caught myself several times in error by doing this extra walk, not to mention picking the wrong caliber to reload as well. My selection problems have really picked up since my hospital days, and I have to be extra careful. If I were an airline pilot still operating as such, I would force myself to hang it up for good. ... felix

357maximum
08-29-2006, 09:50 AM
I have two benches, one for metallic, and one for shotgun. I have one powder closet 12 feet away from both. There will only be ONE powder out of that closet at a time. I know how I am and take huge steps to idiot proof everything, and every step, sounds like maybe,,,just maybe,,,you should do the same, as I have never done the wrong powder thing, and with the above system it is highly improbable...primers lie in recessed cases below their respective bench, except for the full cases, they are in a seperate recessed closet across the room. When I get a new room for handloading it will be set up the same way, but with the addition of one more bench, just for lubing.

"YOU GOTTA KEEP IT SEPERATED"

sundog
08-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Tom, good advice from the others. Cheapest and best place for powder around here (NE Ok) is Powder Valley in Winfield, KS -

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Good folks and they come to the Wannemacher show twice a year. sundog

tom barthel
08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I guess there are times we need to be shocked into being cautious. It was to me, an expensive lesson. $75-80.00. Ouch.
OKSMLE, I live in Muskogee. Do these places sell surplus powder like, 4895, 3031? There are places around here that sell powder at full retail. I go to Fort Smith, AR from time to time. Poteau would just be a short jog out of the way.

sundog
08-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Joe, I just picked up a new 8# IMR 4227. It was in a 7625 can (black) with a blue 4227 label (full size front of the can) pasted over the 7625 paint job. I guess Hodgdon is trying to use up all of the old IMR packaging. sundog

45 2.1
08-29-2006, 10:27 AM
It wouldn't hurt at all to put your powder container by your powder measure AND write the powder number on a piece of paper, then rubber band it on the powder measure. That should keep it clear.

sundog
08-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Tom, I meant to mention that if you buy from Powder Valley, call ahead before the gun show and let them know what you want. They will bring it to Tulsa. No hazmat that way. And pretty good prices, too.

I look at it this way. It costs alot more than it used to for the gun show. I save enough on powder and primer to make it worth while to go to the show. Certainly ALOT cheaper than any of the gun shops. sundog

StarMetal
08-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Gee Corky, we should tell Hodgedon that could be dangerous.[smilie=1:

Joe

tom barthel
08-29-2006, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=sundog]Tom, I meant to mention that if you buy from Powder Valley, call ahead before the gun show and let them know what you want. They will bring it to Tulsa. No hazmat that way. And pretty good prices, too./QUOTE]

Thanks Sundog. I'll do that. One of the shows allows disabled vets in free. Problem is, I don't recall which. Still, admission will be less than haz mat charge plus shipping. :-D

357maximum
08-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Gee Corky, we should tell Hodgedon that could be dangerous.[smilie=1:

Joe

It all depends on the quality of their "PASTE". Corporate decision to save some money on skyrocketing expenses no doubt. If reloading components increase much more in price I am going to have to start buying factory fresh loads to save money.:groner: :groner: [smilie=b:

Ranch Dog
08-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the error Tom... I just came back in from my reloading room and I've got to pull the powder from 10 444 cases. No primers.

I buy from Powder River... very good people.

tom barthel
08-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the error Tom... I just came back in from my reloading room and I've got to pull the powder from 10 444 cases. No primers.

Ranch dog, I'v done that a few times. Once even changed calibers without changing powders. Only did that for 30-40 rounds. It seems like the more I know, the more I know I don't know. It would probably be a good idea to just stop and restart from time to time just to recheck where we are. When all else fails, read the instructions. If I can just remember where I put them.[smilie=1: :veryconfu

boogerred
08-30-2006, 10:55 PM
think of it like this tom- you still have all your fingers to calculate how much that mistake cost you. you can buy powder anywhere.i have yet to see fingers on E-BAY!

RugerFan
09-01-2006, 11:44 PM
The old IMR 4227 cans use to be Grey. I can't believe they would have two different powders in the same color cans, or was it Hodgedon 4227 and IMR 4064?

Joe

Nope, both IMR. 4227 is a lighter blue than 4064.

StarMetal
09-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Well I'm color blind between some shades of colors so the very old cans of IMR 4227 look grey to me. Now the IMR 4064 definately look a medium blue to me.

Joe