PDA

View Full Version : Reviews: on 3 rifles bought in past 6 months

frank_1947
08-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Around the end of Febuary I wanted to start shooting in rifle competition, I had been shooting pistol USPSA for 5 years or better and do to just getting older (63 years) I am slowing down USPSA is all about speed both mentally and physically so I am not doing as well as I did a few years back.

I started reading on the internet about F-Class that was created for anyone but at the time is was created it was for old guys, any power scope any caliber 600 yards also read on benchrest shooting 600 yards so I decided that would be my goal and my challenge 600 yard rifle competition.

I have not shot much rifle in 30 to 35 years but as a young man in my 20s and in the military in 1966 I did shoot M14 and the only one in my squad to get the SAEMR ribbon (Small Arms Expert Marksman Ribbon) so I came in here and other site looking for a good rifle so about $7000 later as of today I have a Rem 700 Mil Spec 5R SS in .308 a Savage 10FP in .223 and a Savage Model 12 F-Class 6mm BR

Not sure if I just got lucky with these 3 rifles all shoot sub 1/2 moa to 300 yards and .679 to 600 yards that is a 4 inch group at 600 yards and I have shot as small as 2.5 inches at 600 that is .416 moa but not consistant 3.5 and 4 inches consistant in both 6mm br and .308 the .223 I only shoot in varmit class at 200 yards with .3 moa but will shoot 300 and 600 soon. I have been told by those who been shooting competition rifle I am doing very well I have placed first and second in varmit and my score in F Class 284 from possible 300 points forgot how many X have not shot 600 yard benchrest yet I will maybe in 2 wks depends how hot it is. All of the above are 5 shot and 7 shot groups. 3 shots in my book don't count.

So if you want a good gun those 3 preform well you need good glass I bought Leupold Competition 45X, Weaver 36x, Burris 8x32x50 Black Diamond and a Bushnell 5x15x40.

These are some really nice guns and scopes worth the money the Rem 700 mil spec is not a catalog gun and can only be bought from Accusport through your gun dealer.

One more thing all are useing Sierra Bullets , Varget Powder , Winchester 308 brass, for .223 LC Brass for 6mm br Lapua brass , Primers WLR, CCI BR4

Combat Diver
08-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Frank,

Good shooting and thanks for the report.

frank_1947
08-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Thanks, and your welcome.

No_1
08-03-2010, 05:18 AM
Nice work. I bet you wish you would have done this much sooner.

R.

frank_1947
08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
no_!,

yes I sure do along with USPSA and Steel Challenge, I did'nt have the time before I retired to do anything. When I retired I found I had to have a challenge or I would go nuts, getting into rifle also gave me a reason to buy more loading equipment so now I can also do a review on RCBS trim mate, power trimmer and the chargemaster 1500 and the Forster bushing neck die all good products.

I never found 100 yard rifle to be a challenge but when I found out there was a 600 yard range a little over one hour away I had to do it, goal is to shoot 600 yards consistant 3 inch groups that would give me sub 1/2 moa .477, this fall when it cools down I will shoot every week to practice for spring.

Thanks for your nice comment.
Frank

Doc Highwall
08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Frank 1947, nice shooting. I would recommend getting a 22Lr set up like your F-Class guns and do a lot of shooting with that to help learn reading the wind and save the barrel on your center fire guns. Anybody can get a gun to shoot good in a no wind condition but it is the people that can read the wind that will win consistently. I was looking at a Savage tactical rifle in 22Lr yesterday and it looks like it would be something to look at for practice. On the 6mm Br forum they have a article about 22Lr tactical matches and have a wind chart with 22Lr vs 308 Win with 175gr Sierra out to 440 yards.

frank_1947
08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Doc Highwall,

Oh Yes, wind is a big factor my first F-Class match was windy about 3 to 5mph I had ran different wind values on Hornadys web site they have a ext. ballistics software free I used it for my initial sight in from 100 to 600 right on the money 14 moa and had a chart with me that showed what the flags look like in different wind situations i got from 6mm br site, that is a great idea getting a 22, the 6mm BR is like shooting a 22 less recoil then a .223 no muzzle flip at all, if a guy wanted to rapid fire you could do it easily with 6mm br, well at least with the heavy barrel Savage.

There is a hunter class 100 yards event on Saturday and a 600 yard br event the following wk end, but today it will be 100 degrees and no relief in sight, I hate the heat and high humidity it takes the fun out of it.

Thanks for your reply.
Frank

Larry Gibson
08-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Frank

A couple of tips;

When you go up on the line have everything ready so you can focus on shooting instead of "where's this or where's that".

Do not be intimidated by all the other equipment you see or the shooting jackets with all the patches on them. I know you've shot competition so you know the mental game. Just pay attention to yourself, hold hard and shoot straight.

Lastly, with those high powered scopes always, and I mean ALWAYS, look at the target number board through your rifle scope making sure you're on the right target and then settle down onto the the bull. The targets will all be side by side and it can be very confusing as to which is yours if you can't see the target number through the scope when aiming. You shouldn't be looking at the number when aiming anyways. It is all too easy to cross fire, seen it too many times and done it myself. I've found it is better to always check the target number through the rifle scope before settling in on the bull ON EACH SHOT.

Good luck shooting F Class, it can be a lot of fun even in the heat.

Larry Gibson

Throckmorton
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I enjoyed reading this,sounds like you've got a nice way to spend lots of time at the range and at the bench.
Keep us informed of your progress,and remember..
we LOVE pictures i a post.

frank_1947
08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Larry, Thanks! long as they are all grey haired as I am I'm not intimidated patches can't shoot, it's them dam young guys shooting 295 I am after, there was 6 of them last match 2 of them in low 290s and one at 295 forget how many x but i did beat 3 of them all in their 20s , you gotta love that, I know i did.

When i sit down I am dead serious I don't go to just to make noise, I found as I was taught in 1966, breathing and even your heart beat can throw you off, not useing a sling as we did in 66 I still get the gun tight in shoulder and get my rest as perfect as posible I really bare down on it, if I don't you will see of the differnce, my first and only match I never left the 9 ring no fliers no mistakes, now it will take practice and more practice, when competing in pistol I shot somewhere every wk close to 800 rounds a month, I hope to shoot 200 this fall and winter in preperation for 2011, I got in on last F class match for the year, will start again in Feb. there are a couple benchrest mathes left at 600 and a 200 for my .223 and a 100 for 308, I do plan to shoot my 308 in 600 yard events also along with 6mm br

Thanks a bunch Larry for your input it is appreciated, the bench numbers are big and bold and on target frame also.

Throckmorton, glad you are enjoying this conversation i do have some targets laying around I will try to make them available, And yes retirement is soooooo great you can finally do as you wish, this is my sport, Shooting, I tried golf, that sucked.

Thanks
Frank