PDA

View Full Version : An introduction

ssgt
08-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Hi, I just ran across this site and I must say that its very impressive! Certainly a vast store of knowledge and talent.

As for myself....Im 44, Ive been casting , handloading and shooting since I was 10 years old. I know a little and need to learn alot. I hope I can prove to be a member of some benefit .

dragonrider
08-28-2006, 09:21 AM
SSGT
Welcome, there is much to learn here and new knowlege is always welcome.

NVcurmudgeon
08-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Welcome, SSGT. Looking forward to learning from your 34 years of experience.

ssgt
08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Wellll.....My experience reminds me of an old boy I use to know in Ozello Florida. He wrote a book titled "What Ive learned from 50 years of fishing the gulf".

This was a moderately substantial tome consisting of 300 pages .... all of which were blank!

Ive pretty much arrived at the point in life that having not blown up any firearms, dumped molten lead in my lap or burned down the house makes me successful!:mrgreen:

45 2.1
08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Illinois didn't used to be a bad place. Got that way since about 1985. Where in Illinois?

ssgt
08-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Ive been in Aurora Illinois a little over 14 years. I was born in Lakeland Florida, spent the first 30 yearsof my life in Florida, more or less, and Ill be moveing back there in June of 2007.

Illinois gun laws are very restrictive and after 14 years I still cant handle the cold or the attendant winter boredom. I reckon California or New York might be worse but this is bad enough for me.

Scrounger
08-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Ive been in Aurora Illinois a little over 14 years. I was born in Lakeland Florida, spent the first 30 yearsof my life in Florida, more or less, and Ill be moveing back there in June of 2007.

Illinois gun laws are very restrictive and after 14 years I still cant handle the cold or the attendant winter boredom. I reckon California or New York might be worse but this is bad enough for me.

My nephew just got back from spending 5 days in Lakeland. He said it was a beautiful place but it rained far too much and the humidy was terrible. Said it made the dry 100+ temperature we have here seem cool by comparison. It has always seemed a wonder, and wonderful, that in spite of the vastly different climates we have in this world, some people have chosen every part of it as 'home'. Viva le difference!

StarMetal
08-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Art,

My best friend in Colorado grew up in Lakeland. Said the same things you mentioned plus the fact it was hard to keep your guns from rusting because of the humidity.

Joe

steveb
08-28-2006, 03:18 PM
ssgt, welcome to the forum!

chuebner
08-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Art,

My best friend in Colorado grew up in Lakeland. Said the same things you mentioned plus the fact it was hard to keep your guns from rusting because of the humidity.

Joe

Down here is Pompano Beach we have the same humidity as in Lakeland. My guns never sit unused long enough to rust since I shoot darn near every weekend. Lakeland also has one of the best gun shows in the state put on by the Lakeland Rifle & Pistol Club. In fact there is one coming up on the 16-17th. of Sept.

Currently 92 degrees, 65% humidity, heat index of 98-99 degrees. Normal South Florida summer and we have a tropical storm/hurricane headed our direction. Gotta go bring in the loose crap from outside in preparation for tomorrow just in case.

Charlie

Bass Ackward
08-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Ive pretty much arrived at the point in life that having not blown up any firearms, dumped molten lead in my lap or burned down the house makes me successful!:mrgreen:

Staff,

If that is the testiment of your success, then revel in it, because 44 was about my zenith and it was all down hill from there.

Welcome aboard.

PatMarlin
08-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Hmmm...

Let's see. I think Zenith started somewhere in the 40's so that makes John in his 88's.. :mrgreen:

Char-Gar
08-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Howday and welcome from Deep South Texas.

Bucks Owin
08-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi, I just ran across this site and I must say that its very impressive! Certainly a vast store of knowledge and talent.

As for myself....Im 44, Ive been casting , handloading and shooting since I was 10 years old. I know a little and need to learn alot. I hope I can prove to be a member of some benefit .

Although my numbers are "52 and 8 yrs old" we have the same background! :drinks:

Welcome amigo!

Dennis

(didn't start reloading until 12 yrs old....) :oops:

454PB
08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Welcome, ssgt.

What's "humidity"? Must be those frozen ice particles we see in the air in the winter here in Montana. Or maybe the smoke we've been living with for the last month or so from the forest fires?

I have some pictures of my grandson taken when he was four years old. He was resizing a box of 500 .357 cases for me. I was surprized, he got about 50 of them done before he was bored and worn out.

Sailman
08-31-2006, 11:57 AM
ssgt

I spent the first 28 years of my life in Illinois ( Berwyn Ill ). I moved to Oklahoma in 1959. When in Illinois I was able to shoot at a range called the gravel pit
( because it was an old gravel pit ). I understand now there are houses on that location. About the time I moved to Oklahoma there were some Sportsmans Clubs being developed in the old strip mines SW of Joliet. I was wondering if that is where you were able to do your shooting.

Sailman

ssgt
08-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Actually Im a member of the Aurora Sportsmans Club...located in Sugar Grove.
The quarry south of Joliet is now called "Buffalo Range" due to its proximity to buffalo rock state park. I take my son down there often because you are allowed to use "non-standard" targets....stuffed animals....small propane tanks etc.
We also shoot alot of trap and skeet at a number of local shotgun ranges.